Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr is probably not the G.O.A.T but he is definitely the B.O.A.T.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KiloTeague View Post
    Greatest of all-time has as much to do with the career achievements, as it has to do with ability, where as the best of all time is strictly a measure of ability. No doubt is my mind, the best boxer to ever lace them up was Roy Jones Jr.
    Mayweather is better. I value intelligence over physical attributes, even though Mayweather possesses both and isn't far behind prime Roy in the latter department.

Comment

Originally posted by sonofisis View Post
      Mayweather is better. I value intelligence over physical attributes, even though Mayweather possesses both and isn't far behind prime Roy in the latter department.
      No. Mayweather wouldn't offer much to Jones P4P.

Comment

Originally posted by bravestone View Post
        So why didn't Hopkins move up until Roy Jones got KO'd? It was clear he didn't want any of Roy at 175 until he was shot.
        1st off the fight wouldnt have been at 175. It wouldve been at 168. 2nd, I never said Roy ducked him. Hopkins wasnt scared either. His ego was out of this world at the time and he truly felt that since Tito was the 2nd biggest star in boxing next to Oscar and he just beat him, that he deserved atleast 50/50 with Roy. Roy wanted 60/40 which was clearly fair

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
          I would take Floyd head to head P4P over him but again, I wont argue with those who pick Roy. The problem with Roy is that it was a ton of raw atheticism but he wasnt fundementally the best fighter and thats why I rank a guy like Floyd over him.

I think both are super smart, along with Hopkins but Floyd & Hopkins are more fundementally sound which is why I think that even when there athelticism is gone, they would still be hell to deal with. Not as much with Royd
          Whaaaaat. Roy would Smash Floyd, If Roy got Floyd cornered like Ortiz and Cotto got him He wouldn't get out. I really don't see how Floyd could beat him if they were the same size and both in prime

Comment

Ezzard Charles would have ended his career. Charley Burley would have won on points.

Comment

Roy went up and DOMINATED a heavy weight champion who out weighed him by 40lbs. Roy in his prime was the most unbeatable fighter in history. 160-168 for sure no one in history stands a chance. I would expect him to dominate everyone at 175 as well. Like I said this guy DOMINATED not beat but DOMINATED a heavy weight. Just as Roy DOMINATED every boxer he fought. His toughest fight was a 28 year old Bernard Hopkins. Castill, Chop Chop Corley and Oscar De La Hoya gave Floyd 3x as tough a fight. Then Roy's second toughest fight was Montell Griffith, who he KO'd but got DQ. (nobody counts that as a loss) Then we all know he KO'd Griffith in a 1min 30 sec next fight. Roy Beat Bernard handedly, yes it was his toughest fight, but every fighter in history has had tougher fights in there prime, and most of those guys never fought a guy on Bernards level. Bernard could of and would of beaten any 160lb fighter in history. And Roy handled him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
                Whaaaaat. Roy would Smash Floyd, If Roy got Floyd cornered like Ortiz and Cotto got him He wouldn't get out. I really don't see how Floyd could beat him if they were the same size and both in prime
                Floyd was not even prime in those fights and that was also a Floyd who had changed his mindset to fight that way. U think they trap him with Sr around? Also its not like Roy was some bully fighter who would push Floyd to the ropes all night. Floyd went to the ropes against Ortiz and early against Cotto on his own

Comment

So he's a good investment then?

Comment

No I think Pernell Whitaker was better.

But I agree with DLT, one of the biggest fights that never happened was Hopkins vs Roy Jones 00-03.

Comment

The best measure of ability is winning

Comment

Working...
                      X