Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Virgil Hunter: Mayweather's Performance is Real Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Hunter is talking bologny! First and foremost, it was a typical Mayweather performance, and to be honest, what can u expect fighting a guy like Ghost, hes not bad at all, but its a come forth type fighter, that really couldnt present no harm to Floyd, other than catching him with a good punch! Same **** different date for Floyd! Ill be impressed when he starts knocking guys out and actually it being a guy who stands a chance! Second, as I recall MMA is no **** fighting, u have to really be skilled and know martial arts, something alot of people cant learn so easily, same goes for boxing! As a trainer, ive seen different fighters and that nonsense about dropping the kid off with the trainer that will teach the Mayweather style, well, not every boxer is the same, they all have there unique touch, imagine Klitschko trying to fight like Floyd or even the likes of A guy like Marquez, Come on Hunter u should be smarter than that! I really see it as, NUT HUGGING! My opinion.

Comment

Lets be real....most brawlers/plodders fight that way because they simply don't have the skillset to box. It is what it is; they have power, chins, and are brave as sh't to fight that way hence the warrior moniker. Their ability to take a punch and ability to crack sometimes puts them in a good position to win a belt or maybe get them out of often times poor conditions. All admirable.

But in terms of mastering a fighting discipline they lack tremendously. So when put in a situation where they face a true master of the craft such as Mayweather, Ward, Hopkins, Rigo, JMM, etc they often end up on the losing side. So when a master boxer doesnt just stay in the box to be hit all they can say is "He ran" Or "He's Dirty" Because a true master boxer can hit and not be hit.

It's a fighting discipline like Judo or Tae Kwon Doe... its not c0ckfighting or "tough-man".

Comment

Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
        it was one of his best performances ever people buy the ppv then act surprised by the outcome why do people keep buying it over and over and over i dont get that. its not like you were surprised by the outcome i would hope anyway.
        Ofcourse not but just because I wasn't surprised doesnt mean I was happy. Great performance by Floyd but in all the fight stunk. It was like seeing the 49ers play the Chargers in the Super Bowl back in '94. I'd rather see something like the Broncos vs the Packers in '97.

Comment

Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
          ya but neither has manny and you dont see people saying that about him. when was the last ko cotto? it just so happens it was around the time people think he quit using ped. but no one says the same about him its double standards at its finest
          Cotto doesn't dominate the way Floyd does. Manny hasn't dominated either since he got off the juice or whatever. But the way he fights, hes trying to take u out. if he doesnt then he doesn't . Floyd though outclasses and dominates and could probably finish his opponents but doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by reflex+speed=me View Post
            hopefully this analogy wont go over your heads but..
            people dont wanna see heat vs bobcats all the time
            sometimes the heat face the knicks too
            And when the Heat beat the Knicks and won the finals...all people said is that they won because the east was weak....it will always be some bs excuse.... Just like u...if he fights Canelo and wins...people will have some out to crucify his win. Also last time I checked Floyd just fought...didn't know he had to have a signed contract to fight Canelo two weeks after his last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
              Don't really agree with this. A big part of the reason that fans appreciate aggressive, risk-taking fighters is because we understand that it's not easy and that it's the sort of thing that not every boxer is willing to do.

It also gets tiresome how often people act as if the only alternative to Floyd's style is a toe-to-toe war. Saying that we'd like to see a guy try to be more aggressive or close the show when an opponent is hurt is not the same as saying we expect him to lead with his face from the opening bell until the last or that he should only throw haymakers.

I also think a lot of people would prefer for their sons to not fight with an overly-defensive style. Not knocking Floyd because it's his career and life on the line, but a lot of dads do want their sons to fight aggressively.
              The bottom line in boxing is to win-period. There is no such thing as a fan friendly style. That is given out by the fans and media. Fighters close the show anyway they can, and winning is all that matters.

Floyd and boxers on his level are always aggressive whether leading or counter punching from the beginning to the end. They always close the show. Going for the ko over a man who is clearly losing is choice. Many fighters are compassionate in those situations, some aren't. Some fighters do it, some don't.

If the ko/tko is there..fighters will take it. If the ko/tko isn't there...they'll cruise to a decision.

Comment

I don't understand how critics can say Mayweather wasn't trying to KO Ghost? Didn't he crack Robert with more power shots than he did jabs?

Comment

well its each to their own. what mayweather did was brilliant in the ring, and real boxing fans do appreciate that style. but boxing fans also appreciate competition and sadly guerrero didnt have much of that! i still prefer a toe to toe war, its just better to watch imo. fights like rios and alvarado or juanma and salido are the type of fight i prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRo1972 View Post
                    I don't understand how critics can say Mayweather wasn't trying to KO Ghost? Didn't he crack Robert with more power shots than he did jabs?
                    Now this is a good observation if this true. I didn't even look at those numbers.

Comment

Any fight is a good fight whether you lead or counterpunch. Just don't tell me that pure boxers are boring because they aren't.

Comment

Working...
                      X