Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping it real as always Mr Hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by jso416 View Post
      I agree with what Virgil is saying, but it doesn't matter.. Other than boxing purists and people who are actually involved with boxing like trainers and young fighters who are trying to learn the sweet science that fight was not worth paying $70 dollars for. I train and been around boxing gyms my whole life and I watched with a few casual fans and they were literally falling asleep. Even when I went to work the next day people at my job called it a sparring session. Virgil can call MMA c-o-c-k fighting all he wants, but that is what people want to see.
      assuming everyone feels the same was as you about the fight being worth it is kinda crazy aint it? considering it did over a million buys against guerrero who probably brought maybe 10k himself and people will do it again and to think they are all floyd fanatics is also crazy

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
        I got about two decades of following this game closely under my belt and the terms uneducated and dumb are pretty mild when referring to half the nonsense put on message boards like this one. Especially when discussing Floyd Mayweather.
        Idc how long u been watching boxing. That's good for u. It's ignorant to say someone's opinion is dumb because they don't share the same one as u. An educated person should be able to realize that. I hate the idiots that just bash Floyd to bash him on this site. Callinghim a runner or whatever but I can't stand pricks like u.

Comment

Originally posted by reflex+speed=me View Post
          hopefully this analogy wont go over your heads but people dont wanna see heat vs bobcats all the time
          sometimes the heat face the knicks too
          Is De La Hoya a boxer? How about Mosely? How about Marquez? Reflex+Speed=Mayweather(winner) Toe-to-Toe and Rope-A-Dope=Ali(Brain Damage and Broke). You're supposed to learn from history, not repeat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rigg View Post
            Hunter is giving his opinion and he has a right to feel like that. He shouldn't though say fans are uneducated or dumb for having their opinion.
            I agree. I think Virgil is talking more as a trainer of the sport and forgetting that at this level sports becomes a form of entertainment and like it or not these "dumb" and "uneducated" fans are paying their hard earned money to be entertained. Luckily for Floyd he developed a character that people love to hate cause if not he'd probably still be having the same problems that Andre Ward is having.. But for the record I thought Ward's last performance against Dawson was a thing of beauty and a perfect example of how to utilize boxing in it's purist form and still be entertaining. With Floyd it's like all the build up and trash talk leading up to the fight is very entertaining and then the actual fight starts and it's like "ok we get it Floyd, you're the best at hitting and not getting hit.. Please try something different now" lol. That's why people were so happy with his performance against Cotto, cause he actually stood in there at times going toe to toe and taking chances. Nobody is saying we want to see Floyd get all beat up and bloody cause Mike Tyson destroyed his opponents in under a round and everyone went home happy.. I think most people feel that when you're in there with such a less talented, over matched opponent u should go in there to destroy and stop him cause that's what the greats like Ali, Ray Robinson and Ray Leonard would have done.

Comment

Originally posted by jvsnypes View Post
              I appreciate boxer's like Floyd and Pernell Whitaker. They do display boxing at its purist form.They just lack killer instinct like some of the greats before them. Robinson, Leonard, Hearns, Ali, and Holmes were all pure boxers, but the difference is, they would look to KO their opponents when the opportunity came. In other words, if they had Guerrero in that same position where he is overmatched, they would have tried to close the show with a KO. When guys like Ali, Leonard, and Jones Jr were dominating a fight, if they couldn't get the KO they would showboat to keep it interesting. Terry Norris was a pure boxer with a viscious killer instinct. That instinct got him in trouble sometime, but he used his skills with bad intentions.

That is one reason why I will say that Floyd is an all time great, but still not on the level with the Leonards and Robinsons. He is the best of this era, but can you imagine Terry Norris fighting in this era? He would have went undefeated as well. Floyd and Manny both would have stayed far away from 147 and 154 back in those days. I love the sweet science. I love the art to hit and not get hit. But while doing the hitting, I want to see them setting up the KO!
              good point but to use heavy weights in that discussion is a bit un fair. i think floyd really did go for the kill against guerrero and if he wouldn have hurt his hand right when he had guerrero hurt it would of been lights out. but i dont think you need to ko people to be a great fighter or even in those fighters you named league. i think its a bit unfair as well to think floyd couldn go toe to toe with a fighter as well
              Last edited by Cinci Champ; 05-17-2013, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
                assuming everyone feels the same was as you about the fight being worth it is kinda crazy aint it? considering it did over a million buys against guerrero who probably brought maybe 10k himself and people will do it again and to think they are all floyd fanatics is also crazy
                If u did a poll u would probably get alot of people who regretted paying for that fight. I contributed $210 to that ppv. 1 for my house to watch over and over. 1 for the place we did the fight party at and 1 for my moms house. She loves boxing. Not knocking Floyd but it wasn't worth 1 buy from me let alone 3.

Comment

If u did a poll u would probably get alot of people who regretted paying for that fight. I contributed $210 to that ppv. 1 for my house to watch over and over. 1 for the place we did the fight party at and 1 for my moms house. She loves boxing. Not knocking Floyd but it wasn't worth 1 buy from me let alone 3.
                  it was one of his best performances ever people buy the ppv then act surprised by the outcome why do people keep buying it over and over and over i dont get that. its not like you were surprised by the outcome i would hope anyway. there were people saying the cotto fight was not worth it what exactly is worth it then as far as floyd goes? him losing or bust?

Comment

Originally posted by jso416 View Post
                    I agree. I think Virgil is talking more as a trainer of the sport and forgetting that at this level sports becomes a form of entertainment and like it or not these "dumb" and "uneducated" fans are paying their hard earned money to be entertained. Luckily for Floyd he developed a character that people love to hate cause if not he'd probably still be having the same problems that Andre Ward is having.. But for the record I thought Ward's last performance against Dawson was a thing of beauty and a perfect example of how to utilize boxing in it's purist form and still be entertaining. With Floyd it's like all the build up and trash talk leading up to the fight is very entertaining and then the actual fight starts and it's like "ok we get it Floyd, you're the best at hitting and not getting hit.. Please try something different now" lol. That's why people were so happy with his performance against Cotto, cause he actually stood in there at times going toe to toe and taking chances. Nobody is saying we want to see Floyd get all beat up and bloody cause Mike Tyson destroyed his opponents in under a round and everyone went home happy.. I think most people feel that when you're in there with such a less talented, over matched opponent u should go in there to destroy and stop him cause that's what the greats like Ali, Ray Robinson and Ray Leonard would have done.
                    Exactly bro!!!
                    Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
                    good point but to use heavy weights in that discussion is a bit un fair. i think floyd really did go for the kill against guerrero and if he wouldn have hurt his hand right when he had guerrero hurt it would of been lights out. but i dont think you need to ko people to be a great fighter or even in those fighters you named league
                    Floyd rather outclass u then finish u. He hasnt Gatti'd or Hatton'd someone in years.

Comment

Exactly bro!!!

Floyd rather outclass u then finish u. He hasnt Gatti'd or Hatton'd someone in years.
                      ya but neither has manny and you dont see people saying that about him. when was the last ko cotto? it just so happens it was around the time people think he quit using ped. but no one says the same about him its double standards at its finest
                      Last edited by Cinci Champ; 05-17-2013, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X