No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Virgil Hunter: Mayweather's Performance is Real Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mistermartin View Post
    I respect Virgil greatly but that's not what the people are bothered by. People want to see a competitive contest. Not a beautiful display against an over-matched opponent. The battles that are thrilling & competitive are what gets into the marrow of a fan...into their hearts. It's the drama...the display of will & character in the ring...the challenge. & although floyd displays that in the gym I'm sure...the avg fan doesn't connect to a fighter in training camp.....unless it's Rocky of course. Even in that situation it's the drama of the story & the danger & the odds that make his camps the ****. Floyd not so much. He is an awesome fighter no doubt...but he's been robbing...not blessing us.
    He is not talking about what people want to see , fans would bring back the gladiators to the death if they could lol , and the house would be packed , cant you people understand boxing , just unbelievable , the problem with Floyds is he is just too good , the skills are god given you cant teach what he has , thats special and thats why I admire Floyds work .

Floyd is the highest paid athlete in the world do you think thats because nobody wants to see him , where is the logic .

All fans should be made to have at least 2 amateur fights and at least 2 yrs training in a boxing gym , then they would appreciate the top liners and all there individual different styles so much more than they do .

Comment

• Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
      You got your chronological order wrong. Margarito didn't lose to Paul Williams after Floyd "hit the Welterweight Division". He lost to Williams in 2008, during Floyd's semi-retirement.
      Actually, Margarito lost to Williams in 2007, smack in the middle of of Floyd's fights with DLH and Hatton.

Comment

• Originally posted by hitking View Post
        Actually, Margarito lost to Williams in 2007, smack in the middle of of Floyd's fights with DLH and Hatton.

You're right. I guess it only seemed that way, seeing how he retired in a period where we had what looked to be a Round robin of Welterweight fights between Cotto, Mosley, Margarito and Williams, all who were eliminated from contention at a Floyd fight at that time since they lost to each other, in what opened the door for Pacquiao to climb up in weight and pick up the scraps, starting with a dehydrated Oscar. You would of thought, that Floyd picking JMM (A Lightweight Champion) for his comeback would be the warm-up perquisite to a Pacquiao fight at least, but no.

For whatever reason (not really relevant anymore) even that didn't pan out since the fight didn't happen.

Eventually, Mosley and Cotto got their shot, but perhaps by then they were ripe for the taking.
        Last edited by cupocity303; 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

As I remember it, when Floyd intially hit the welterweight division, Margarito was attempting to rebound from loses to Paul Williams and Daniel Santos.
          Thats all I read because you're obviously wrong.

Floyd hit the ww division in 06. Margarito at the time was the divisions longest reigning beltholder, whose only loss since 1996, was to Daniel Santos, in 2004. So, no. When Floyd hit the welterweight division, Margarito wasn't coming off of losses to anyone. Floyd fought Baldomir instead of Tony in November and Tony fought Clottey in December. Again, Floyd chose to duck Margarito in 07 and fought DLH in May. It wasn't until July of that year, that Tony lost to Paul.

If you're going to talk boxing, know what you're talking about first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starz20 View Post
            Floyd was more dominant are you serious! How many times did Floyd get hit cleanly on a 147 pound champion? And how many times did canelo get hit cleanly? Canelo was getting tagged but when you are facing guys who normally fight at 140 or did you forget making them jump two weight classes with ZERO I repeat ZERO fights at 154 I repeat again ZERO fights at 154 their power might be a little shot don't you think?

You should be banned making statements like that... Robert hadn't lost since 2005 was on a 7 year streak of winning and gets outclassed so your trying to say Lopez is on Guerrero's level now? Do you want to see Floyd fight Lopez his next fight at 147 and see what happens?? OH AIGHT THEN, OH AIGHT THEN I THOUGHT SO
            A 12 round ud is not more dominant that a fifth round stoppage, especially considering Saul floored his opponent multiple times.

btw, You're a completely worthless poster with absolutely no insight.

Comment

Its deeper than that. These people genuinely hate Floyd and nothing he will ever do will warrent praise in their eyes. The reality is, there are positives and negatives to every fight and opponent. In the case of Floyd, since people don't like him, they harp on the negatives. Case in point. When Floyd tweeted prior to the Guerrero fight that he was gonna fight Alexander, this place went nuts. All of a sudden Floyd was scared ****less by the way Ghost roughed up Berto. Yet, after Floyd fights and dominates Ghost, the kid becomes a handpicked bum, according to many of the same people who said Floyd was scared to fight him. Its stupid.
              Listen, I'm by no means a Floyd fan, actually don't like how he conducts himself, BUT I know a great fighter when I see one & he's one. With that said, I'm a firm believer that you stick with what got you where you are today. And that's what Floyd does - why should he change that? All faire in love & war, right? But I also believe that you fight your mando and/or the best. Floyd fought his mando - I don't have an issue with that. And he made him look real stupid at that, by doing what he does best - box. Who am I to say "he needs to stand still & trade shots", when that's not his style? That sounds real obtuse & ignorant. Usually cats with limited skills & intelligence (approx. 85-90% people) agree with that mantra. Floyd's doing him & people don't like it, don't buy the PPV, don't read any articles about him, just erase that man from their memory. It's that simple. But as you said, their hate is SO intense (like he beat them instead of his baby mama), that they can't stay away, catching cramps like some PMS trick. My issue with Floyd is that he didn't fight P-Will & he waited till Shane got old to fight him.

Originally posted by ColdCa$hCanelo View Post
              On Margarito - "he has losses and nobody knows who he is"
              On Cotto - "He needs to get his PPVS up and he lives too far"
              On Manny - "Hes ordinary, one dimensional, easy work and easy money. But he does steroids so he has to take my phony test"
              Margarito - A CHEAT
              Cotto - See Uncle Slob......
              Manny - Manny was shook of a needle when he had $40M reasons to NOT be shook of one, yet he's doing testing for Rios for less $$$$, SMDH @ BS......

Comment

• Originally posted by MASTER1454 View Post
                Listen, I'm by no means a Floyd fan, actually don't like how he conducts himself, BUT I know a great fighter when I see one & he's one. With that said, I'm a firm believer that you stick with what got you where you are today. And that's what Floyd does - why should he change that? All faire in love & war, right? But I also believe that you fight your mando and/or the best. Floyd fought his mando - I don't have an issue with that. And he made him look real stupid at that, by doing what he does best - box. Who am I to say "he needs to stand still & trade shots", when that's not his style? That sounds real obtuse & ignorant. Usually cats with limited skills & intelligence (approx. 85-90% people) agree with that mantra. Floyd's doing him & people don't like it, don't buy the PPV, don't read any articles about him, just erase that man from their memory. It's that simple. But as you said, their hate is SO intense (like he beat them instead of his baby mama), that they can't stay away, catching cramps like some PMS trick. My issue with Floyd is that he didn't fight P-Will & he waited till Shane got old to fight him.

Margarito - A CHEAT
                Cotto - See Uncle Slob......
                Manny - Manny was shook of a needle when he had $40M reasons to NOT be shook of one, yet he's doing testing for Rios for less $$$$, SMDH @ BS......
                cheating unproven
                you can't blame bob for everything, its old and tired
                post the link where manny says hes scared of needles. I'll bet my account vs yours.

Comment

Yeah, but this wasn't done on purpose. Bradley just doesn't have FLoyd's ring IQ or skills. Or composure after getting rocked the first time.

He just kept making the same mistake over and over.

No, I don't think he could have. Now maybe he can correct his mistakes in the rematch and win the only way he can win convincingly, which is purely Box. But if he doesn't, then that proves my point.

What will get Bradley paid in the future is making the audience forget about how he unofficially lost to Pacquiao, by convincingly beating a string of opponents one after the other. Not by perpetuating the problem/perception that he is not an Elite fighter. Not sacrificing himself for some short-term gain. And he must know this too. Hence why your analogy that he voluntarily chose to almost get beat for the sake of entertaining everyone is not based on reality.
                  Yeah, but this wasn't done on purpose. Bradley just doesn't have FLoyd's ring IQ or skills. Or composure after getting rocked the first time.

He just kept making the same mistake over and over.
                  He didn't need Floyd's ring IQ or Skills to box circles around a slow flat footed fighter like Provodnikov. Him almost getting himself KTFO wasn't done on purpose, but the risk taking he did by standing toe to toe with Provo was on purpose.. He didn't have to do that at all. Even after suffering a concussion he still outboxed Prov to a decision.

No, I don't think he could have. Now maybe he can correct his mistakes in the rematch and win the only way he can win convincingly, which is purely Box. But if he doesn't, then that proves my point.
                  You don't think he could have based on what? He clearly stood toe to toe with Provo on purpose in those early rounds trying to prove a point to Freddie Roach that he could out fight his guy. When he did box he made it look easy even with a concussion. He only got caught when he stood flat footed and traded with Provo.

What will get Bradley paid in the future is making the audience forget about how he unofficially lost to Pacquiao, by convincingly beating a string of opponents one after the other. Not by perpetuating the problem/perception that he is not an Elite fighter. Not sacrificing himself for some short-term gain. And he must know this too. Hence why your analogy that he voluntarily chose to almost get beat for the sake of entertaining everyone is not based on reality.
                  He was already undefeated before he fought Pacquiao and he wasn't getting paid.. What will get him paid is beating other big named fighters the same way every other fighter eventually gets paid. He has to beat Marquez and then beat Pac in a rematch and then he'll have wins over 2 future hall of famers on his resume plus the WBO Championship belt to use as leverage in future fights; And STILL this does not guarantee that he see's a huge increase in paydays. He has to either start putting on exciting fights or find some charisma to use as a promotion tool or he'll probably never see Mayweather/Pacquiao figures. And my analogy on him almost getting beat for the sake of entertaining everyone is based on what I saw in the fight my own two eyes with 30 years of experience in watching boxing fights at gyms, bingo halls and arena's and also based on the fact that Bradley himself as well as his trainer said that he did NOT stick to the gameplan.
                  Last edited by jso416; 05-17-2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

You're right. I guess it only seemed that way, seeing how he retired in a period where we had what looked to be a Round robin of Welterweight fights between Cotto, Mosley, Margarito and Williams, all who were eliminated from contention at a Floyd fight at that time since they lost to each other, in what opened the door for Pacquiao to climb up in weight and pick up the scraps, starting with a dehydrated Oscar. You would of thought, that Floyd picking JMM (A Lightweight Champion) for his comeback would be the warm-up perquisite to a Pacquiao fight at least, but no.

For whatever reason (not really relevant anymore) even that didn't pan out since the fight didn't happen.

Eventually, Mosley and Cotto got their shot, but perhaps by then they were ripe for the taking.
                    I don't really put Williams in that group of welters because after Margs, he turned around and lost to Quintana, had to clear that up, then proceeded to leave the division.

As for the lil round robin with Mosley, Cotto, and Margs. I, along with the rest of the boxing world, felt Mosley kinda came out on top of that thing with his destruction of Margarito. He fought Floyd in his next fight. In my eyes, that kinda cleared up that Floyd was on top of the heap.

As for Cotto, to me not fighting him immediately after Hatton is the biggest black eye on Floyd's resume. After the loss to Margarito, the struggles with Clottey, etc, I kinda started to feel that Cotto was never as good as we thought he was coming up and the fight with Floyd wasn't necessary. But after seeing how Cotto was able to push Floyd in their eventual match-up. It does make me wonder how much better he could have done had they fought in their physical primes.

As for Pac, how necessary was that fight all along? That whole fight was about matching the best two fighters of the era. The way it looks now, Floyd and JMM may go down as the best two fighters of the era. They fought, Floyd won, end of story. Just because JMM doesn't share Pac's fanfare doesn't mean beating him means any less for Floyd's legacy than a win over Pac would, considering right now JMM is superior to Pac.

BTW, over the last several years, you and I have debated the situation at welter during Floyd's "retirement" at least 1000 times.....Cro.

Comment

• I watched the Guerrero fight a few times now and Mayweather's performance is being greatly overrated. His reputation has inflated what he did. He actually landed very few punches. He did run. He appeared to be afraid of Guerrero. He never hurt Guerrero at all. The 8th round was the only round Guerrero took a backwards step, He was a little stung by a sweeping right but to call him hurt or on verge of going down, if only
                      Floyd stepped up the pressure then, is ludicrous.

People adore Floyd and are so invested in his man worship that they call a so-so performance like that sheer greatness. It was not at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X