Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Virgil Hunter: Mayweather's Performance is Real Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I respect Virgil greatly but that's not what the people are bothered by. People want to see a competitive contest. Not a beautiful display against an over-matched opponent. The battles that are thrilling & competitive are what gets into the marrow of a fan...into their hearts. It's the drama...the display of will & character in the ring...the challenge. & although floyd displays that in the gym I'm sure...the avg fan doesn't connect to a fighter in training camp.....unless it's Rocky of course. Even in that situation it's the drama of the story & the danger & the odds that make his camps the ****. Floyd not so much. He is an awesome fighter no doubt...but he's been robbing...not blessing us.

Comment

• Originally posted by jso416 View Post
      I agree. I think Virgil is talking more as a trainer of the sport and forgetting that at this level sports becomes a form of entertainment and like it or not these "dumb" and "uneducated" fans are paying their hard earned money to be entertained. Luckily for Floyd he developed a character that people love to hate cause if not he'd probably still be having the same problems that Andre Ward is having.. But for the record I thought Ward's last performance against Dawson was a thing of beauty and a perfect example of how to utilize boxing in it's purist form and still be entertaining. With Floyd it's like all the build up and trash talk leading up to the fight is very entertaining and then the actual fight starts and it's like "ok we get it Floyd, you're the best at hitting and not getting hit.. Please try something different now" lol. That's why people were so happy with his performance against Cotto, cause he actually stood in there at times going toe to toe and taking chances. Nobody is saying we want to see Floyd get all beat up and bloody cause Mike Tyson destroyed his opponents in under a round and everyone went home happy.. I think most people feel that when you're in there with such a less talented, over matched opponent u should go in there to destroy and stop him cause that's what the greats like Ali, Ray Robinson and Ray Leonard would have done.

Yeah well, in his heart of hearts he probably knows that he is a step above Paulie Malignaggie in the power criteria after climbing up so many weight divisions, and it doesn't help that your hands are injury prone.

So he has no choice but to keep boxing once he realizes that his opponent is stronger than him. Guerrero didn't show much but he must've physically shown enough to Floyd, that he didn't try and bully him.

IF Floyd had ever fought Margarito, this is the ONLY feasible, best case scenario way he would've defeated Margarito. And he would have IMO. Would you have criticized him for not going "for the kill" just because he has 11 rounds in the bank. He virtually has no chance of KO'ing or destroying a Margarito. Outboxing him the way he did Baldomir, Guerrero is the most realistic scenario.
      Last edited by cupocity303; 05-17-2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Rigg View Post
        If u did a poll u would probably get alot of people who regretted paying for that fight. I contributed $210 to that ppv. 1 for my house to watch over and over. 1 for the place we did the fight party at and 1 for my moms house. She loves boxing. Not knocking Floyd but it wasn't worth 1 buy from me let alone 3.

Well then you're a sucker and it's your own fault.

At the end of the day, you couldn't have regretted it that much could you? After all, that was the underlining reason for you and your friends/family having a party get-together. You probably ate, drank and had a good time like a bunch of drunken English fans. And you probably split the bill for the PPV with other didn't you?

Next time, just don't buy it unless you're confident that your guy will beat Floyd, which is entertainment enough isn't it.

Comment

• Originally posted by xpsm24 View Post
          Mr. Hunter is talking bologny! First and foremost, it was a typical Mayweather performance, and to be honest, what can u expect fighting a guy like Ghost, hes not bad at all, but its a come forth type fighter, that really couldnt present no harm to Floyd, other than catching him with a good punch! Same **** different date for Floyd! Ill be impressed when he starts knocking guys out and actually it being a guy who stands a chance! Second, as I recall MMA is no **** fighting, u have to really be skilled and know martial arts, something alot of people cant learn so easily, same goes for boxing! As a trainer, ive seen different fighters and that nonsense about dropping the kid off with the trainer that will teach the Mayweather style, well, not every boxer is the same, they all have there unique touch, imagine Klitschko trying to fight like Floyd or even the likes of A guy like Marquez, Come on Hunter u should be smarter than that! I really see it as, NUT HUGGING! My opinion.

Context!!

He didn't exactly say that MMA is cock fighting. He said that the MMA fans sentiment is of a **** fighting nature, and that it is spilling over to Boxing. Young impatient fans. I remember watching an MMA fight and not much happened during the first 2 mins of the first round, and the Boo birds erupted. Seems they had even less tolerance for the quiet feel-out periods than Boxing audiences; I could be wrong. There is a lot of skill involved in two guys in missionary position, on the ground. But I don't think every drunked MMA fan is fully appreciative of it either.

Comment

• Regardless of the varying degrees of opinions, Hunter is a classy individual. The recent trash talking trainers is such unnecessary bullshiet.

Comment

• Originally posted by PR ESQ. View Post
              Regardless of the varying degrees of opinions, Hunter is a classy individual. The recent trash talking trainers is such unnecessary bullshiet.
              I think Virgil has a bit of an ego himself. He is just more of a passive-aggressive narcissist. But look at some of the press-conferences and how he shoots off at the mouth.

I'd compare him to Jeff Mayweather.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdCa$hCanelo View Post
                On Margarito - "he has losses and nobody knows who he is"
                On Cotto - "He needs to get his PPVS up and he lives too far"
                On Manny - "Hes ordinary, one dimensional, easy work and easy money. But he does steroids so he has to take my phony test"
                As I remember it, when Floyd intially hit the welterweight division, Margarito was attempting to rebound from loses to Paul Williams and Daniel Santos. Floyd on the other hand opted to fight the then reigning lineal and universally recognized welterweight champion Baldomir. Why was Floyd obligated to fight him then? And after Margarito had rebuilt himself with the Cotto win, he proceed to get the ever lovin piss beaten outta him by Mosley, whom Mayweather immediately fought. From where I'm sitting, it seems like Margarito's problem was that he kept losing. Had he nt kept losing, maybe he could have secured his Mayweather fight. I mean, Floyd has fought fought Mosley, and Cotto, following wins over Margs.

As for Cotto, if you were following boxing when he and Floyd were at 140, which I doubt you were. You would know that it was Arum that made the claims that Cotto was too green to fight Floyd. As for their time at welterweight, I agree that Floyd should have fought Cotto after the Hatton fight. I have no issues with the fights he took prior. But instead of retiring, he should have fought Cotto.

As for Pac, both sides are equally to blame. And if you feel any other way, you obviously have an agenda. That said, Pac could still be beating the pavement for a Floyd fight had he not had his brain sent into orbit in his last outting. If Floyd was ducking Pac, much like the case with Margarito, Pac sure has made himself easy to avoid by arguably losing his last three fights, one of which face down sound alseep.

Comment

• Originally posted by hitking View Post
                  As I remember it, when Floyd intially hit the welterweight division, Margarito was attempting to rebound from loses to Paul Williams and Daniel Santos.
                  You got your chronological order wrong. Margarito didn't lose to Paul Williams after Floyd "hit the Welterweight Division". He lost to Williams in 2008, during Floyd's semi-retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

Yeah well, in his heart of hearts he probably knows that he is a step above Paulie Malignaggie in the power criteria after climbing up so many weight divisions, and it doesn't help that your hands are injury prone.

So he has no choice but to keep boxing once he realizes that his opponent is stronger than him. Guerrero didn't show much but he must've physically shown enough to Floyd, that he didn't try and bully him.

IF Floyd had ever fought Margarito, this is the ONLY feasible, best case scenario way he would've defeated Margarito. And he would have IMO. Would you have criticized him for not going "for the kill" just because he has 11 rounds in the bank. He virtually has no chance of KO'ing or destroying a Margarito. Outboxing him the way he did Baldomir, Guerrero is the most realistic scenario.
                    Guerrero doesn't have the chin, heart or will of Margarito. Floyd was easily beating Guerrero to the punch and I believe he could have stopped him if he would have stood and fought toe to toe at times kinda like how Bradley fought Provodnikov, instead he chose the safe route and pop shotted for 12 rounds to a UD. Bradley could have cruised to an easy decision the same way Floyd did, but he took some huge risks and gave the fans an exciting fight for free on Showtime; And yeah I know he paid a price for it, but I doubt Guerrero is as big a puncher as Provodnikov. After the Cotto fight I applauded Floyd for standing in there and fighting and giving the fans there money's worth, and I never thought he lost his legs at all.. I felt he did it to entertain the fans and give them a good show. This time Floyd wasn't willing to take those risks and in all honesty he doesn't have too anymore because he is guaranteed $32 mill regardless of how many ppv buys he gets for the rest of his career. And I agree with your point about it being the buyers fault for paying the $70 bucks, that's why I won't be buying any of his next 5 fights.. And no it's cause I want him to lose, it's cause I'm only going pay that kind of money for exciting fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by jso416 View Post
                      Guerrero doesn't have the chin, heart or will of Margarito. Floyd was easily beating Guerrero to the punch and I believe he could have stopped him if he would have stood and fought toe to toe at times kinda like how Bradley fought Provodnikov, instead he chose the safe route and pop shotted for 12 rounds to a UD. Bradley could have cruised to an easy decision the same way Floyd did, but he took some huge risks and gave the fans an exciting fight for free on Showtime;
                      Yeah, but this wasn't done on purpose. Bradley just doesn't have FLoyd's ring IQ or skills. Or composure after getting rocked the first time.

He just kept making the same mistake over and over.

Bradley could have cruised to an easy decision the same way Floyd did
                      No, I don't think he could have. Now maybe he can correct his mistakes in the rematch and win the only way he can win convincingly, which is purely Box. But if he doesn't, then that proves my point.

What will get Bradley paid in the future is making the audience forget about how he unofficially lost to Pacquiao, by convincingly beating a string of opponents one after the other. Not by perpetuating the problem/perception that he is not an Elite fighter. Not sacrificing himself for some short-term gain. And he must know this too. Hence why your analogy that he voluntarily chose to almost get beat for the sake of entertaining everyone is not based on reality.
                      Last edited by cupocity303; 05-17-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X