No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 60 and 14: Klitschko Continues To Extend His Reign

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    I believe blowing out fighters in one or two rounds can be boring. As far as the Brewster fight the reason Wlad lost to him was because he gassed real bad. And why? Because he was going for the knock out.
    Why is blowing out a quality champion in 1-2 rounds boring? I would find that really exciting. Can you image a Kessler, Froch, or a Ward getting blasted out in 1-2 rounds? That would be boring? Really?

Wlad lost against Brewster because he fell in love with his power and forgot about his chin. Then, when he woke up 1-2 minutes later, he remembered he didn't have the chin to justify the arrogance. Since then, never made that mistake again. And you know what, Emmanuel Steward knew that and is solely responsible for that attitude. He did the same thing with Hitman Hearns. He knew a glass jaw when he saw one, and how to protect that glass jaw. Manny steward saw the product and protected it like no other.

Comment

Originally posted by mrosborne View Post
      http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...7035&cat=boxer

Review that link above. When was the last time Wlad KO'ed anyone before 6 rounds? A cruiserweight named Jean Mormeck. A guy who should have never been there in the first place.

The answer is: Ray Austin according to BoxRec. KO'ed in 2. And who is Ray Austin? I have no idea. Neither does anyone else either.

Fact is Wlad jabs people to death and then opens up for the right hand when they can't even see out of one of their eyes. BoxRec.com

BoxRec anyone HW champion people you remember in the last 50 years. You will find KO's before 6 rounds in the fistful. Wlad? Nope. You won't.
      So let me see Wlad beats the snot out of most of his opponents just with his jab and then viciously knocks them out and that is boring to you? As for who Ray Austin was, he was the IBF mandatory challenger that's who he was.

Comment

So let me see Wlad beats the snot out of most of his opponents just with his jab and then viciously knocks them out and that is boring to you? As for who Ray Austin was, he was the IBF mandatory challenger that's who he was.
        IBF is, and was, a joke. Who cares about the IBF?

It wishes it was respectable, but never was and never has been.

Comment

IBF is, and was, a joke. Who cares about the IBF?

It wishes it was respectable, but never was and never has been.
          You ask who he was and I answered the question.

Comment

Originally posted by ramblingalp View Post
            I agree with much of what you've said, but attaching reverence to Mike Tyson is really a stretch. Isn't this the same guy who bit off Evander Holyfield's ear while Evander was in the process of kicking his rear end? I'll never forget that. Yes, Tyson was exciting, but also a bully who couldn't take defeat like a man. Sorry, no reverence from myself for Mike. Agreed, Louis and Robinson were both class acts as well as exciting fighters.
            It is true that Mike Tyson has a lot to be ashamed about. Against Holyfield that was a damn shame. Biting has nothing to do with professional boxing. He did bite him, and it was sad. He didn't handle defeat that well. Class wasn't a virtue of Tyson and I am fairly certain Tyson himself knows this based on his apology tours during his recent resurgence on the Mike Tyson Story perfomances.

I can't defend a fighter's bad choices in the ring. I can however say that a fighter's historical value is NOT based on how many times he lost in the ring. It is based on how exciting a fighter they were, and how many instances of a fight to where it scared the **** out of people watching it. A time where you would say wow, i wouldnt put a million dollars on me getting in the ring with that man to get KTFO like this fighter did.

Klitschko is a good man overall and a good fighter. No doubt about either statement. He is NOT, however, a fear inducing heavyweight champion that inspires immediate fear and respect. He never will be.

Comment

Why is blowing out a quality champion in 1-2 rounds boring? I would find that really exciting. Can you image a Kessler, Froch, or a Ward getting blasted out in 1-2 rounds? That would be boring? Really?

Wlad lost against Brewster because he fell in love with his power and forgot about his chin. Then, when he woke up 1-2 minutes later, he remembered he didn't have the chin to justify the arrogance. Since then, never made that mistake again. And you know what, Emmanuel Steward knew that and is solely responsible for that attitude. He did the same thing with Hitman Hearns. He knew a glass jaw when he saw one, and how to protect that glass jaw. Manny steward saw the product and protected it like no other.
              Who is blowing out quality champions in one or two rounds? And I have said it before and I will say it again Wlad's supposed glass chin is highly overrated. He gassed in both the Puritty fight, which I believe was his 26th fight within two years, and the Brewster fight. The Puritty fight was also stopped when one of Wlad's corner men stepped into the ring. And Wlad was caught cold by Sanders and he still had to knock him down what three times to stop him. And Corrie wasn't exactly a feather fisted fighter. Matter of fact Brewster wasn't a feather fisted either. As far as Puritty is concerned he may not have had a great record but he did have a pretty high KO% within his wins. He usually lost on points or knocked out his opponent.

Comment

Hmm, I still remember Lamon Brewster getting blasted from the outside, and rushing him like nothing and destroying Wladmir once he realized Wlad couldn't do much on the inside. Since then? Wladimir makes sure you are getting jabbed to death. Without question.
                Your premise is off. Wlad fought differently in that fight. For a 6'6, 250 pound man, he wasted too much energy on Brewster, as if he were a Lighter weight type of a fighter. He tired himself out. To Brewster's credit, he had a granite chin and survived long enough to witness Wlad gassing out, and he rightfully capitalized on it.

Since then, Stewart has helped Wlad perfect his Tall-man style of fighting, and made him a more effective fighter. Nothing wrong with that.

By fighting at the level of competition, what I meant was he fights the safe way.
                Which means that he is not fighting down to the level of his competition. He is fighting above their level, by not letting them in and giving them a chance when he doesn't have to. Even though it's just semantics, your wording is still wrong. Fighting to their level would mean not fighting like a tall fighter and trying to brawl.

He won't go in and fight hard.
                Which is a good thing. Completely unnecessary. Would you ask Shaq O'neal to abandon his Center position and play like Kobe Bryant by being a point guard. No, of course not.

He will wear people down and wait until they are half awake then throw the right hand. There have been HW champions who fight differently.
                Not completely true, but yes something like that.

They came in, throw combinations, and body-head combo for a KO. When has Wlad ever done that? Has it even happened before? Body punching from him, I don't think I have ever seen.
                Not that it's relevant, but I watched him sneak in one body punch to Pineta yesterday. As I said, body punches are not needed. Smaller fighters need body punches to wear their bigger target down.

Vitali does body punch throw. It looks awkward as ****, but he does hit the body. Wlad doesn't. He's all 1-2 right hand. He's like Pavlik with a really weak chin.
                Pavlik? If he was Pavlik, he would've gotten school by now. Pavlik is more of a brawler, than a world class boxer like Wlad. I know you didn't mean that.

I hope not.
                Last edited by cupocity303; 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Who is blowing out quality champions in one or two rounds? And I have said it before and I will say it again Wlad's supposed glass chin is highly overrated. He gassed in both the Puritty fight, which I believe was his 26th fight within two years, and the Brewster fight. The Puritty fight was also stopped when one of Wlad's corner men stepped into the ring. And Wlad was caught cold by Sanders and he still had to knock him down what three times to stop him. And Corrie wasn't exactly a feather fisted fighter. Matter of fact Brewster wasn't a feather fisted either. As far as Puritty is concerned he may not have had a great record but he did have a pretty high KO% within his wins. He usually lost on points or knocked out his opponent.
                  Exactly Ravens Fan.

Anyone with dynamite in the hands sparked W. Klitschko. They all did. Who since has? That's the whole idea. He hasn't fought anyone with dynamite in his hands since his last KO. I guess you could argue that David Haye was the last KO threat that fit the description, but wtf did Haye do except run away and lose the fight? Broken toe or not, that was a terrible fight.

Comment

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...7035&cat=boxer

Review that link above. When was the last time Wlad KO'ed anyone before 6 rounds? A cruiserweight named Jean Mormeck. A guy who should have never been there in the first place.

The answer is: Ray Austin according to BoxRec. KO'ed in 2. And who is Ray Austin? I have no idea. Neither does anyone else either.

Fact is Wlad jabs people to death and then opens up for the right hand when they can't even see out of one of their eyes. BoxRec.com

BoxRec anyone HW champion people you remember in the last 50 years. You will find KO's before 6 rounds in the fistful. Wlad? Nope. You won't.

The way he does his work is irrelevant. What matters is that he is consistently producing the same outcome. Which is a dominant victory that more than not leads to a TKO/KO victory. CONSISTENCY is the keyword here.

Expecting him to be Iron Mike Tyson is unreasonable. You work with the tools that you were given. And he has been given height and the skills to maximize his height advantage over opponents, that dozens of other guys (I.E. Valuev) couldn't.

Comment

Maybe you're right. They are reigning champions for a reason. They hit and didn't get hit. They both will NEVER be beloved by boxing fans for the same reasons. Tyson was the most exciting HW to ever live. Why? He destroyed people. He took risks. He lost by KO. But you know what? He garnered respect and continues to do so. He was awe inspiring.

People only love Mayweather for his ability to NOT LOSE. No one ever says remember Mayweather DESTROYING that guy? Hatton? Corrales? So what. That is not destruction. Tyson knocking mouthpieces across a ring is what people remember. Everyone thinks not losing is impressive. But the greatest who ever put on a pair of gloves LOST. Robinson lost. Tyson lost. Louis lost. All are revered. Why? They KTFO'ed everyone great. That's why.

Losing is a part of a fight. You fight long enough and you will lose. Losing doesn't make someone less of a man. Going out and fighting and entertaining the crowd makes a hero. Not losing.
                      Now you're using the appeals to emotions fallacy.

And "beloved by Boxing fans" is subjective, unless you view the U.S. as the only place with Boxing fans. They're beloved in Germany and the Ukraine. And Europe for that matter (not counting the UK).

Comment

Working...
                      X