No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 60 and 14: Klitschko Continues To Extend His Reign

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
    This is of course false. If it was that easy, it would've happened already.

You addressed this already, though with bad connotations, when you said that he "never went balls out". This of course means that he has perfected his tall man style of fighting, and tightened his defense, which is a good thing.

You're wrong when you said that, "". It's actually the opposite. The fact that he is not giving them even the slight chance of winning, while still producing easy victories for himself means that he is actually fighting above their level.

Some say he should throw body punches. Why? Why fix something that isn't broken. Smaller fighters need to throw body punches to break their bigger target down, not him.
    Hmm, I still remember Lamon Brewster getting blasted from the outside, and rushing him like nothing and destroying Wladmir once he realized Wlad couldn't do much on the inside. Since then? Wladimir makes sure you are getting jabbed to death. Without question.

By fighting at the level of competition, what I meant was he fights the safe way. He won't go in and fight hard. He will wear people down and wait until they are half awake then throw the right hand. There have been HW champions who fight differently. They came in, throw combinations, and body-head combo for a KO. When has Wlad ever done that? Has it even happened before? Body punching from him, I don't think I have ever seen. Vitali does body punch throw. It looks awkward as ****, but he does hit the body. Wlad doesn't. He's all 1-2 right hand. He's like Pavlik with a really weak chin.

Comment

Boring? How many times in a row has Wlad defended his title? How many times has Floyd defended his belts? Both of them have taken on all comers and kicked their butts. Made them look like amateurs in the ring. Maybe some 'exciting' wannabes ought to take lessons from them if they want to derail either of these two great champions.

The name of the game is to smack your opponent hard...without being smacked back in return. Practicing that is why both Wlad and Floyd are still reigning champions despite each being past 35 years of age. The biggest threat to either of these great fighters is only father time.

Comment

Originally posted by mrosborne View Post
        W. Klitschko simply is not exciting. There is nothing exciting about watching a jabfest against someone then finishing an out of shape tired Heavyweight who then drops the guard and gets blasted by a series of right hands. No fun to watch. The competition is to blame to a degree, but you know what, some boxers come to get it, some jab people to death and finish the wounded when they aren't doing anything to win.

Other great HW fighters know the difference. Win the crowd, Maximus. You know what I mean? Win the crowd. Go get the KO.
        Wlad has a higher KO ratio than Holmes. He finishes fights.

Comment

Originally posted by ramblingalp View Post
          Boring? How many times in a row has Wlad defended his title? How many times has Floyd defended his belts? Both of them have taken on all comers and kicked their butts. Made them look like amateurs in the ring. Maybe some 'exciting' wannabes ought to take lessons from them if they want to derail either of these two great champions.

The name of the game is to smack your opponent hard...without being smacked back in return. Practicing that is why both Wlad and Floyd are still reigning champions despite each being past 35 years of age. The biggest threat to either of these great fighters is only father time.
          Maybe you're right. They are reigning champions for a reason. They hit and didn't get hit. They both will NEVER be beloved by boxing fans for the same reasons. Tyson was the most exciting HW to ever live. Why? He destroyed people. He took risks. He lost by KO. But you know what? He garnered respect and continues to do so. He was awe inspiring.

People only love Mayweather for his ability to NOT LOSE. No one ever says remember Mayweather DESTROYING that guy? Hatton? Corrales? So what. That is not destruction. Tyson knocking mouthpieces across a ring is what people remember. Everyone thinks not losing is impressive. But the greatest who ever put on a pair of gloves LOST. Robinson lost. Tyson lost. Louis lost. All are revered. Why? They KTFO'ed everyone great. That's why.

Losing is a part of a fight. You fight long enough and you will lose. Losing doesn't make someone less of a man. Going out and fighting and entertaining the crowd makes a hero. Not losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
            Wlad has a higher KO ratio than Holmes. He finishes fights.
            Holmes had a far superior jab and was smaller with a lot less KO power. Also, his dropkick of Trevor Berbick is legendary.

Comment

Also, to be fair, his brother Vitali is 10x more exciting than W. Klitschko is. If anything Vitali comes to get it. He fights with a purpose, and can take damage/is willing to take damage. Wladimir? Not really. I understand you are from the Ukraine so I understand your willingness to praise the hometown hero/ I simply cannot appreciate the safety first approach by such a HUGE man. It seems contradictory and frankly, pretty weak to be that huge and not fight like you can **** someone up.
              There is one small problem with your scenario and that is that Wlad does actually **** his opponents up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
                There is one small problem with your scenario and that is that Wlad does actually **** his opponents up.
                After 6 rounds of jabs?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
                  http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...7035&cat=boxer

Review that link above. When was the last time Wlad KO'ed anyone before 6 rounds? A cruiserweight named Jean Mormeck. A guy who should have never been there in the first place.

The answer is: Ray Austin according to BoxRec. KO'ed in 2. And who is Ray Austin? I have no idea. Neither does anyone else either.

Fact is Wlad jabs people to death and then opens up for the right hand when they can't even see out of one of their eyes. BoxRec.com

BoxRec anyone HW champion people you remember in the last 50 years. You will find KO's before 6 rounds in the fistful. Wlad? Nope. You won't.

Comment

After 6 rounds of jabs?
                    I believe blowing out fighters in one or two rounds can be boring. As far as the Brewster fight the reason Wlad lost to him was because he gassed real bad. And why? Because he was going for the knock out.

Comment

Tyson knocking mouthpieces across a ring is what people remember. Everyone thinks not losing is impressive. But the greatest who ever put on a pair of gloves LOST. Robinson lost. Tyson lost. Louis lost. All are revered. Why? They KTFO'ed everyone great. That's why.
                      I agree with much of what you've said, but attaching reverence to Mike Tyson is really a stretch. Isn't this the same guy who bit off Evander Holyfield's ear while Evander was in the process of kicking his rear end? I'll never forget that. Yes, Tyson was exciting, but also a bully who couldn't take defeat like a man. Sorry, no reverence from myself for Mike. Agreed, Louis and Robinson were both class acts as well as exciting fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X