Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking back.. why did so many pick Donaire over Rigo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pigsfly View Post
    it was also the "rigo only has 11 fights" thing. i always knew it was BS because rigo has transitioned nicely into the pros from the amateurs.

and the chin thing was way overblown by posters on here.......

I've seen greats rocked and knocked down (ali, sweet p, duran)

being rocked a few times doesn't = a weak chin.

when will people learn........
    for most part everytime he got dropped was when he already had fight n hand and trying to make crowd happy thats y i didnt think to much of it

Comment

hindsight allllllllllllllllways 20/20

Comment

Originally posted by dmaclv View Post
        hindsight allllllllllllllllways 20/20
        The truest statement on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
          if there is a rematch i'd pick donaire again
          Naw, man. We saw all we needed to see in the first fight. All questions were answered. Rigo's chin is up to the task; his style counters Donaire; and his skills are greater than Nonito's. "Flash" might do better on a second go, but he gets beaten in a rematch.

Comment

Honestly, after the year that Donaire had in 2012, there was really no surprise that so many people favored him over Rigo. He was riding him and handling guys. But when looking at the styles, I thought that Rigo posed a problems for Donaire and that ended up being the case.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Naw, man. We saw all we needed to see in the first fight. All questions were answered. Rigo's chin is up to the task; his style counters Donaire; and his skills are greater than Nonito's. "Flash" might do better on a second go, but he gets beaten in a rematch.
              This here is spot on. And since he turned pro, I thought he would easily be one of the top fighters out there. Glad he got the Nonito fight and won. Was annoying to hear so many posters discrediting the guy like he was not good at all and how he would get knocked out easily.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                Man from the first round I already knew where this fight was going.

Once I saw Rigo take a shot and deliver his own and was willing to exchange I already knew. He showed he could take Donaire's punch and return with a harder one and of course he had the technical advantage on his side.

I was still nervous/pumped as hell and couldn't even eat.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                I loved it. It was like a great, big "fuck you." Rigo wanted to make a statement early. He stood his ground and let it be known he wasn't going anywhere. As much as I loved the idea, it concerned me. It wasn't until the fifth round, or so, that Guille started to move around a bit, and my tension eased. But I was on the edge of my seat the whole fight, especially during the twelfth, when it looked like Rigo might knock Donaire out. My voice was almost hoarse from yelling, "Vamos, 'Chacal!' Vamos, 'Chacaaal!!" lol

Comment

Honestly some people including myself took into account Donaire's accomplishments in the pro's compared to Rigo's. I changed my pick to Rigo though because I threw that out the window and looked at each fighters skills and fighting styles. Donaire looks best against someone who comes forward and Rigo has too much ring IQ to play into his styles. Plus Rigo is faster, better boxer, more accurate, better overall.

Comment

Because they don't know **** about boxing

Comment

99% was on pure PRIDE from Donaire fans, can't pick fights with your PRIDE if you do that and your a gambling man, you always lose your money

stylistically I knew it was a HORRIBLE MATCH UP for Donaire after his fight with Omar Narvaez, also felt like the worst thing that happened to Donaire's career was the KO of Montiel...because after that fans would just go on to expect KO's EVERY FIGHT and that is exactly what happened

Rigondeaux like Pernell Whitaker in his PRIME, it is a style you can't look good against no matter what you do because they are just so clever and quick and is always under control so I would just laugh when I seen Donaire fans say "Donaire will knock him out in 4, or 6 or 8 Rounds

Comment

Working...
                      X