Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peter Quillin: "GGG is a risky fighter"..."Not enough money to fight him"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middleweight is a pretty stacked division, sadly there's not enough money. Because man for boxing fans, that division is the bomb!

Comment

• Originally posted by deanrw View Post
      I do not like what Quillin said there as it makes him look scared.

What I will say though that if I was in charge of his team, I would not make the fight yet either. Not for another year. He is still learning on the job and needs a few more fights before he can attempt to take on the lions.

To me though it sounds terrible coming from a fighter. If it was a managerial standpoint I would understand.
      It makes him sound more like a business man, not a coward!
      He will fight him he just wouldn't want to take that risky of a fight without the pay that should be good.

I'm alot more excited to see GGG vs Chavez Jr/Quillin/Martinez than any opponent Mayweather can get so I don't see why It can't generate a good pay day for both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keitha313 View Post
        It makes him sound more like a business man, not a coward!
        He will fight him he just wouldn't want to take that risky of a fight without the pay that should be good.

I'm alot more excited to see GGG vs Chavez Jr/Quillin/Martinez than any opponent Mayweather can get so I don't see why It can't generate a good pay day for both.
        Then he should stop fighting and become a manager.

Can you imagine if every fighter said this? Nobody would ever fight anybody! This is from a guy who hasnt even been a main event yet. Its amazing when people support guys like this and Berto fighting nobodies for 400K or 1 mil and then support their complaining about not getting enough money when they are massively overpaid in the first place

Comment

• The way I look at it, if you're the champion of the world, you should be ready and willing to fight anyone. I'm from the old school when fighters didn't become the champion and wait around for years for a fight to build up enough to take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            Well if you're gonna duck, why lie. Good job chocolate.
            .................................................. ..........

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
              See, this is the **** that I'm talking about right here. The last two posts after my posts do not represent the opinion of fighters, just the armchair fanatic. Sickens me to no end.

if not golovkin being a dangerous fighter for short money, what risk would quillin be talking about?

that's what he's talking about.

right now he should be motivated to train and fight. not match himself. that's why he's catching heat. he's being realistic, but that he's saying these things himself instead of letting his handlers say / think them is why people are taking issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                This fight will be a bigger money fight then just about anybody who's not Sergio at MW

So i dont see the problem

you're looking at one fight. frankly it's not a huge deal if you don't see the issue. this is how fighters are moved. the steps are calculated to maximize a fighters potential over the course of his career. they aren't thinking "oh, we'll cash this kid out with an HBO main event against golovkin," the way you are

fighting GGG now won't amount to some huge payday. it will be a career high, but it's not going to be higher than fighting on hbo for 2-3 years 2-3x a year against lighter risks.

the ggg fight will still be there in a couple of years. if it's not a huge money fight the quillin people may never take it.

Comment

• honest coward....

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                    if not golovkin being a dangerous fighter for short money, what risk would quillin be talking about?

that's what he's talking about.

right now he should be motivated to train and fight. not match himself. that's why he's catching heat. he's being realistic, but that he's saying these things himself instead of letting his handlers say / think them is why people are taking issue.
                    Catching heat from who? Fighters always want to be paid properly period. Every fighter goes through risks when they enter that ring. This isn't a fight that can't happen. It can still happen, just give it time.

Gerald McClellan wasn't scared of Benn and look what happened to him.

Fighters and managers negotiate, and then go back to the boxers and let him know that their demand was countered this way and so on and so forth. Quillen gave a true answer, and that makes him scared?

Do you really believe in your heart of hearts that he is scared of GG or just wants to be paid properly for a fight like that? Find out what fighters take home after everyone is paid, and come back and peep the interview again.

Comment

• I like him. I think his answers were spot on. You got to respect him for his stance on GGG. It's a pretty "real" answer. He did flub with the comment about Martinez not fighting "American fighters" - (i.e., Paul Williams, Citron, etc...) All in all, I enjoy watch his fights and think he's pretty thoughtful with his responses.

Comment

Working...
                      X