No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather Rating: High For Boxing, Low For Network TV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
    I don't know why anything has to sell in the mills to be a success, don't know what the boxing world has to come to, as far as I'm concerned it's gonna be a good fight. I know Sr. came in to help fine tune Mayweather's defense a little more, but I see this fight taking place in the pocket, I see Mayweather-Chavez/Ndou again, except more competitive, but it's gonna be fireworks.
    Well when your persona is all about money, you brag about being the biggest draw in the sport, have fans bring up him being the biggest paid athlete or something on Forbes, of course this is going to get brought up.

The same happened with Pacquiao, simply because his career was rivaling that of Floyds, and thus it came down to figures and money.

Any other fighter, this wouldn't even matter

Comment

Anyone know how much they are charging for this farce?

Comment

I was out and didn't watch this. Floyd just isn't that interesting to the mainstream when he is pretty boy floyd. Mainstream fans want Money May, when they dont get it they stop watching.

Floyd is learning that you cant just change your personality and expect fans to just be ok with it. For years he's called himself an entertainer-well he's finding out that fans are fickle with entertainers.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
          I was out and didn't watch this. Floyd just isn't that interesting to the mainstream when he is pretty boy floyd. Mainstream fans want Money May, when they dont get it they stop watching.

Floyd is learning that you cant just change your personality and expect fans to just be ok with it. For years he's called himself an entertainer-well he's finding out that fans are fickle with entertainers.
          He hasnt changed his personality at all!

Comment

CBS on a Saturday night is for older folks. Hell, they were probably playing Call Of Duty Black OPS II like me with their kids. I didn't even watch the show yet. I didn't even know it was on.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
              No other boxer would bring in those ratings or higher either. Canelo, Pac, GG, Matthysse, the K brothers...none of them would even bring in 300,000 viewers
              Pac got almost identical ratings on CBS. They're all poor overall.

Comment

Or Battlefield 3 Premium Edition lol...

Comment

Canelo wouldn't even get 50,000 television viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
                    Canelo wouldn't even get 50,000 television viewers.
                    If anything Canelo would have been the one to get decent ratings because of his massive Mexican fanbase and because he is a new face.

You probably can't get less then 1 million viewers on primetime network TV...but you are just being an ignorant fanboy.

Either way, as shown by the UFC/Floyd/Pac, there is a ceiling of tops 2 million viewers for these hype shows, which all in all is bad.

Comment

Seems like this was just a throwaway that was included in Mayweather's deal. Their main interest was of course the fighter himself, but along came 30 Days in May and Mayweather documentaries. 30 Days in May was pretty interesting, it's rare to catch a glimpse of the life of an athlete leading up to jail time. I didn't see this Mayweather documentary, since I was watching the Danny Garcia fight with friends and we just left it on Showtime. But I imagine that was the case for a lot of boxing fans and sports fans in general. So it seems since this was a throwaway, Showtime/CBS treated it as such. They put it in one of the worst slots for TV ratings. They probably just thought, "Hey, whoever watches...we hope to get even just a few PPV buys from this but it's not something we'll promote hard"

Comment

Working...
                      X