Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic boxing drops headgear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Good Good Good. We needed this for a while. That amateur scoring was bull****. Worst way ever to score a fight and out of the thousands of am fights I have seen, I've seen literally hundreds end in poor or even outright ridiculous decisions.

And the scoring prompted coaches of many countries to develop fighters with really unbalanced styles that often didnt serve them well in the pros. No body punching, no inside fighting etc.

Comment

Good Good Good Good. We needed this for a while. That amateur scoring was bull****. Worst way ever to score a fight and out of the thousands of am fights I have seen, I've seen literally hundreds end in poor or even outright ridiculous decisions.

And the scoring prompted coaches of many countries to develop fighters with really unbalanced styles that often didnt serve them well in the pros. No body punching, no inside fighting etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
        THey should re-think the headgear, some guys are going to develop some nasty cuts before they turn pro.
        Cuts > Concussions.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
          THey should re-think the headgear, some guys are going to develop some nasty cuts before they turn pro.
          There will be cuts, but with 12oz gloves instead of eights and tens, and with only 3 rounds it won't be a major problem.

Comment

Boxing will be one of the most popular sports in the Olympics again!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              There will be cuts, but with 12oz gloves instead of eights and tens, and with only 3 rounds it won't be a major problem.
              yea i dont see much cuts coming from the gloves. just head butts. but if your getting cuts in 3 rounds in the AMs. then your going to get major cuts in the pros.

Comment

Good. It'll be infinitely more watchable.

Comment

Fantastic news. This should not only be a big ratings boost for Olympic boxing, but it should make amateur fighters more pro ready.

Comment

So its just during the world championships and Olympics?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      i've only ever boxed amateur with 10s and only ever seen 10s used, when are 12s used?

Comment

Working...
                      X