Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward - Break this guy down. What makes him so great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Ward - Break this guy down. What makes him so great?

Ward couldn't be classified as the fastest, most powerful, maybe not even the smartest, but many think he's the most unbeatable fighter in the sport today. The things that Ward does in the ring are extremely subtle. Most don't really understand the things that he does that makes him so difficult to fight so this thread is a bit of a test...

What are the things that Ward does that makes him so great and effective? Be specific...

Great at controlling distance.

Comment

Timing
      Breaks up other fighters rhythms
      Homes in on a fighters strength and takes it away
      Vice versa
      He capitalizes on a fighters weakness.

Comment

he is fast for 168 I say his ring IQ the only thing special about him he is very confident fighter I like to see how he bounces back after his 1st L which should happen pretty soon IMO

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Great at controlling distance.
          Damn, first response hits the home run. Above all else, THIS is what I think about when I think about something Ward does EXCEPTIONALLY well.

Few are as effective as Ward at fighting at the distance they want to be at, and when they actually want to fight. Perhaps the best in the game at ring generalship.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
            Ward couldn't be classified as the fastest, most powerful, maybe not even the smartest, but many think he's the most unbeatable fighter in the sport today. The things that Ward does in the ring are extremely subtle. Most don't really understand the things that he does that makes him so difficult to fight so this thread is a bit of a test...

What are the things that Ward does that makes him so great and effective? Be specific...
            Who said or thinks that? Whoever thinks that way needs to be banned cause they don't belong here.

Comment

His intelligence and ability to adjust is superb. His timing is as well. He is brilliant at transitioning between offense to defense at a moment's notice. He is quickly becoming a master at inside fighting. He is incredibly calm at all times.

I watched Ward vs. Kessler, Froch, and Dawson a couple days ago, and he truly is a brilliant fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by AyoMaDu View Post
                Timing
                Breaks up other fighters rhythms
                Homes in on a fighters strength and takes it away
                Vice versa
                He capitalizes on a fighters weakness.
                This is the other part that stands out...he has great instincts at knowing exactly when to time his attacks. His opponents are constantly caught off guard at by Ward's timing of his attacks and how quickly he steps in, attacks, then either smothers their punches or immediately getting out of range. I think Mayweather's timing/instincts are a tad bit better, but I think Ward may be better at what he does immediately after the well timed attack (smothering and/or getting back outside).

Comment

Is this the beginning of the flomo assassination of Andre Ward?

Comment

He's disciplined. He can fight inside and out. He knows rough tactics. Also if he's not faster than other fighters at his weight then he has a lot better timing because he always lands first in exchanges.

Dawson was landing pretty easy the first two rounds and Ward shut it down like it was nothing. Shows you how well he can adjust.

Comment

Working...
                    X