Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward - Break this guy down. What makes him so great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His focus, instincts, ring awareness those are his strongest assets in my opinion. I still feel people overrate his ability to fight in close, it's great stuff but infighting consists mostly of a two handed attack, not solely tying up an opponents' arm while attacking with the other. I've heard many say Ward's ability to fight inside is only rivaled by Mayweather, which is insane, Mayweather is clearly the better fighter up close.

Comment

Ward's style has got to be exhausting so that might explain why he fades late.

I think Ward can be beaten, but imho it's going to take either a superior inside fighter (unlikely) or a referee who repeatedly breaks up the fighters like Pabon and his opponent being better on the outside (again unlikely).

The other thing which could test him is moving up to 175, I'm not convinced he adapts to that weight as well as some others believe.

I think he's PFP No.1 right now.

Comment

So far I wouldn't say he is great, more like very good.

He has a long way to go to achieve greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          he is fast for 168 I say his ring IQ the only thing special about him he is very confident fighter I like to see how he bounces back after his 1st L which should happen pretty soon IMO
          he will never have a L on his record he will retire undefeated fighting people in their prime unlike mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            His intelligence and ability to adjust is superb. His timing is as well. He is brilliant at transitioning between offense to defense at a moment's notice. He is quickly becoming a master at inside fighting. He is incredibly calm at all times.

I watched Ward vs. Kessler, Froch, and Dawson a couple days ago, and he truly is a brilliant fighter.

Comment

The only flaw in Team SOG is his god awful promoter Goosen Tutor. That's it. Dude already cleaned out SMW.

Comment

One thing I loved about the Froch fight was how the UK commentators were saying at the start that it was a good thing Smoger was reffing, because Froch wanted to make this a real fight, to really get in close and go to war. Implying of course that Ward would not want to get into a real fight with Froch.

Then the fight starts and Ward is right in Froch's face, not just answering back in the close exchanges but initiating them and really bullying Froch in the process. Within a few rounds it was like 'what was all that about wanting to get me into a real fight?'

He just laid down the law right from the start. It was hugely impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                  One thing I loved about the Froch fight was how the UK commentators were saying at the start that it was a good thing Smoger was reffing, because Froch wanted to make this a real fight, to really get in close and go to war. Implying of course that Ward would not want to get into a real fight with Froch.

Then the fight starts and Ward is right in Froch's face, not just answering back in the close exchanges but initiating them and really bullying Froch in the process. Within a few rounds it was like 'what was all that about wanting to get me into a real fight?'

He just laid down the law right from the start. It was hugely impressive.
                  And you could see how confused Froch was by that. What a good fight that is to watch, I think so anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                    His focus, instincts, ring awareness those are his strongest assets in my opinion. I still feel people overrate his ability to fight in close, it's great stuff but infighting consists mostly of a two handed attack, not solely tying up an opponents' arm while attacking with the other. I've heard many say Ward's ability to fight inside is only rivaled by Mayweather, which is insane, Mayweather is clearly the better fighter up close.
                    Really?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      And you could see how confused Froch was by that.
                      Definitely. You can just imagine the story Carl and McCracken had in their heads preparing for the fight. That this kid Ward is slick and seriously talented, but you're going to take him into deeper water than he's ever seen before.

Then he tries to do it and Froch is the one that's drowning, Ward's handing the depth just fine. That had to be a massive blow and Ward clearly knew this as well. He set out to make it clear to Froch early on that 'the way you wanted this to be, well it's not going be that way.'

Comment

Working...
                      X