No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: King's Long Run Might Come To an End at Barclays

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: King's Long Run Might Come To an End at Barclays

By Mitch Abramson - Bernard Hopkins likes to talk trash. We know this. He also likes to get inside his opponent’s psyche and smack it like a plastic doll. This, we also know. Why else would someone snatch a Puerto Rican flag out of the hands of Felix Trinidad and throw it to the ground- in Puerto Rico no less- risking his life?

So when Hopkins took the stage for a press conference in January and expressed his wish to put promoter Don King out of business, it seemed at first like just another Hopkins’ rant against an opponent, which in this case was Tavoris Cloud. But this seemed a little more personal and harsh. Hopkins even named rank-and-file employees of King’s company by name, saying he would write them recommendations if they ever needed them once he closed down their operation by beating Cloud.

Even Hopkins’ promoter, Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions shook his head and admitted that Hopkins’ comments were unnecessarily cruel.

“Yeah it’s a harsh thing to say,” Schaefer said at Wednesday’s press conference before Saturday’s showdown at the Barclays Center in downtown Brooklyn. “I’m sure certain people want to put me out of business. But that’s boxing. Everyone’s trying to put everyone out of business.” [Click Here To Read More]

it doesn't matter if you like him or hate him...DON KING was the best promoter ever in the sport. he may have screwed guys over but there is no doubt he put on the best PPV cards(you always got your money's worth except for the short tyson fights). the heavyweight division was at it's best when he was the major player. i missed the 90s when there was a big card every month or 2...

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      it doesn't matter if you like him or hate him...DON KING was the best promoter ever in the sport. he may have screwed guys over but there is no doubt he put on the best PPV cards(you always got your money's worth except for the short tyson fights). the heavyweight division was at it's best when he was the major player. i missed the 90s when there was a big card every month or 2...
      I agree w/u 1--%...hopkins in his own way is a cherry-picker, learned frm DLH,& I go way back & he would have no chance vs SRR or even Monzon...

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
        I agree w/u 1--%...hopkins in his own way is a cherry-picker, learned frm DLH,& I go way back & he would have no chance vs SRR or even Monzon...
        How the hell is Hopkins a cherry picker when he's fought everyone there is to fight??

And the mere fact you have to bring up Robinson and Monzon is actually a compliment.For the record he would have held his own in any era.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
          How the hell is Hopkins a cherry picker when he's fought everyone there is to fight??

And the mere fact you have to bring up Robinson and Monzon is actually a compliment.For the record he would have held his own in any era.
          I agree with u 100%, the simple fact that he broke Foreman's record should show just how good of a boxer he is....he's in his 40's and is still able to compete at the highest level, PLUS he has never been beaten up, yea he has a few losses on his record, but has never been beaten up...for being in the sport since '89 and never being beaten up or out class, out gunned, who else can say that? no one. the only other person in the sport who can say that is mayweather, but Hopkins has been in the game longer...so we'll see if mayweather can last 12 more years w/out getting beaten up, to bad he'll be retired by then

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post

Red K given and I reject and dismiss the entire premise of your post.

I hereby request that you log off and never come to boxingscene. You're E-dead.

Comment

Anyone who says Hopkins is a "cherrypicker" is well........all I can say is they probably don't belong on a boxing website.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                Anyone who says Hopkins is a "cherrypicker" is well........all I can say is they probably don't belong on a boxing website.
                At Hopkins age its not a cherry pick its a prune pick. I think he just ruffled a few feathers by picking on that sweet old man that just happened to stomp on a man's head too long.

Lol if the worse thing one can say about Hopkins is that Monzon and SRR were better....

Lol at King percieved as the victim....King was always a great promoter and at least proved that he is better than Arum. which....kind of rhyms with scum.

Comment

Working...
                X