No announcement yet.

Manny and the 40 million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RapidFire_Royce View Post
    Thats the problem At this stage it should no longer be TR and Pac. It should be Pac and TR or GB or whoever pac wants to let promote his fight.

He is much bigger than Floyd or Oscar (welly maybe not) were when they left and I believe he could put a team around himself to make it work. I am all for fighters getting the most money for what they do. While we are sitting here talking about how Mayweather was cheating him with the offer I don't see how we shouldn't be equally mad at how he is cheating himself by staying with Arum
    Him being much bigger makes any possible buyout so much more expensive (if even an option). And unlike Floyd and Oscar, Pac has no interest in being a promoter. That doesn't mean he has to take every ****ty deal that comes his way.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      Mayweather actually hurt himself by not making a fair offer because it would have been by far his biggest payday and he would have made lots more money than he did for fighting Cotto. Both fighters have huge amounts of money as far as I know so pride is part of it. No one wants to get the short end of a deal even if the short end is 40 million.
      I have been wanting to break down the numbers of this to see just how much Mayweather missed out on.

So from what i can find the cotto fight did 94 mil for ppv and 12 mil live gate with 1.5 million buys. So the total the fight made was 106 million.

I think i read the network gets half the ppv right? so that means 94/2 = 47 mil plus the 12 for gate so 59 mil for fighters and promoters.

I know cotto was garuanteed 8 mill and may was garuanteed 32 so that would mean 40 mill to the fighters now 19 mil left to split up. so if cotto ended with 10 mil then that would leave 17 mil to may.

so make takes away 32+17 which is 49 mill from which he has to pay everyone else.

now say he splits the paq fight 50-50 and the fight does 3 million buys. Now i am just guess so if it does twice as much as cotto then 190 mil? and lets throw in 20 mil gate? so 210 mil total

if half still goes to the network then (190/2+20) 115 mil for may and pack to split. if you just did it right down the middle then each would get around 57.5 million each. of which they would both have to pay their people.

So unless people think the fight was going to do way more than 3 mill or more than 210 mill in revenue seeing that so far the biggest which was Del la hoya vs May did 140 mil I dont think the numbers are too off.

so 49.5 mill vs a hypothetical 57.5 mill doesnt seem like too much of a drop off
      Last edited by RapidFire_Royce; 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM. Reason: mistake in math

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        Him being much bigger makes any possible buyout so much more expensive (if even an option). And unlike Floyd and Oscar, Pac has no interest in being a promoter. That doesn't mean he has to take every ****ty deal that comes his way.
        BUt wasnt he going to do a joint promotional venture with 50 cent? the article was right here on boxing scene

http://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-...venture--57016

I just don't understand how he could see the deal with Floyd as him being cheated but the deal he has with Top rank as being fair? especially now if its extremely expensive for him to get out of it.

Comment

people keep saying that it would have been $40 mill with no share of the ppv ... but where do you think the lions share of that $40 mill would have come from? thats right, ppv revenue

manny was trying to have his cake and eat it too ... you either take a small guarantee, with a large back end cut or you take a large guarantee with a small back end cut. in this case, it would have been an enormous guarantee with no back end cut

a large guarantee with a large back end cut would have been floyd assuming all of the financial risk while manny had none

Comment

floyd fan here, but come on pac deserves ppv rev 40 mill plus 30% ppv rev would've been fair.

but i don't know the whole deal but if im pac i say no but try to say floyd now your talking now give me some damn ppv rev and it's a fight.

so it was a fair offer for up front money but pac definitely deserves some ppv rev.

Comment

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
              Getting none of the PPV cut(when all other floyd opponents do) for the most lucrative fight of the century(considering how accessible PPV is now compared to before) that wouldn't exist without Pacquiao is absolute BS

How can anybody think that's fair? When did Floyd become God, and why does Pacquiao have to bend over for him?

This was a duck.
              Bu11siht! Instead of taking the test and the 40 million, Pac got KTFO for less than 1/4 of that, and will never be able to command that kind of purse again. I'll bet Pac himself is kicking himself for not taking the fight

Comment

It wasn't 40m for Pac, it was 40m for Pac and Top Rank to split, duh. That's a pathetic offer, TR and Pac split over 40m for Marquez 3 and 4 each.
                Pac/Marquez 3 nor 4 came anywhere close to 40 million! Post a link, dare ya

Comment

****ty deal lol , it was the biggest offer Manny has ever got in boxing , well apart from the 50/50 offer to fight Floyd but Manny ran from that also , he never wanted to fight Floyd its was all just a sham to get publicity on all his other fights , now that he has sunk he would like to cash out on Floyd .

The dude said NO to 50/50 , for fck sake !

Comment

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
                    He WAS going to leave Top Rank. The plan was to collaborate with Floyd and 50 cent and have partial ownership in the money team(50 cent and Floyd's promotional company) before it fell apart because Floyd ran out on them.
                    The letters showed that Floyd was not really involved in that venture. If he was, why would 50 have someone write Floyd to ask him to be down while he was in jail? Plus looking at Floyd's situation now, why would he leave haymon for 50? If the venture 50 proposed with manny was really lucrative to the fighters, it's obvious Floyd would have taken the offer. Every business move Floyd has made has been on point.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidFire_Royce View Post
                      Given that Floyd inked such a (potentially) lucrative deal with show time and Manny's knockout loss to Marquez. Was it a mistake to have not taken the deal?

Is it possible that Manny could possibly make that type of money in a future fight?

When viewing this from a management standpoint. Assuming the 40 mil offer from Floyd was legit. Was it a better career move for Manny to continue his wars with Marquez where he makes the lions share but overall less money, Or take a smaller portion and possibly less than his true value to fight Floyd but for more money than he could make in any other fight?

Also for reference does anyone know how many Fighters have broken 40 mil for a fight?
                      Nobody knows how "lucrative" the deal was. it's just talk, and rumour is always "inflationary: If Showtime know anything about anything, they will know that a guy like Mayweather, who is so careful of his health (I don't blame him) that he's fought just 4 times in over 5 years, will not fight 6 times in 2.5 years. ESPECIALLY since his ring mobility has decreased cosiderably.

But it's good PR. It might be just as much Bumpfh as Mayweather's (self) guarantee of 432 mill for the Cotto fight. I suppose it was only conincidence that the largest REAL guarantee to date had been for Mike Tyson at $31 mill.....

Comment

Working...
                      X