No announcement yet.

Defend Calzaghe's record

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pigsfly View Post
    who ever said that calzaghies win over hopkins was a close but *clear victory* needs some serious help............
    Well it's hard to argue with the logical discourse coming from the Calzaghe fans side like this: (red karma)--> From:"Earl Hickey defend your anus, cos i'm gonna penetrate it"

Wow. I guess that seals it then. Idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
      I hope you really mean "Cliff Rold's great piece on Calzaghe's career"..... I'd bet that after he read the analysis on Marquez's career he happened to catch the list at the end that shows there was also an analysis on Calzaghe.

He's just trying to be clever...no harm.

Cliff also points out that there is really no difference between Ottke's resume and Calzaghe other than beating up a few washed up geriatrics in RJJ and Hopkins.

Is you opinion of Ottke's career equal to that of Calzaghe's?

The best argument for considering him an all time great is the fact that there is very little history at 168 other than Calzaghe. Pretty much any other great fighter regarded it as a bastard division for Europeans to hide out in. If Calzaghe wouldn't fight them, there was no reason to stay.

In a head to head fight I would take prime RJJ, Hearns, Toney and Ward over him at 168. Others I would have to think about.

There isn't much to his resume. If you like him as a fighter you rate him based on what he might have accomplished had he the chance. If you don't like him you refuse to rate him because he ducked the best.

The guy in my sig - Zsolt Erdei - could fight and beat RJJ and Bhop in his next 2 fights and his resume would be the same as Calzaghe's.

Erdei would easily beat Jones - Bhop would be tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
        Cliff also points out that there is really no difference between Ottke's resume and Calzaghe other than beating up a few washed up geriatrics in RJJ and Hopkins.

Is you opinion of Ottke's career equal to that of Calzaghe's?

EXACTLY. Cliff may have good write ups by that was a very contradictory bad article. He basically listed all the knocks against Calzaghe but didnt address them in anyway. Then just goes yeah he's an ATG. Based on what?

Old Roy Jones? Squeaking one out again Hopkins (at best)?

Comment

Calzaghe clearly beat Hopkins in a close fight, people need to really get over it.

Comment

Calzaghes wins over Eubank, Lacy, Kessler and Hopkins were world class...

Just goes to show why Frank Warren has less fighters now though, the guy just gives too many easy defences out and at the time he was really the only major british promoter and why Matchroom has shot right past him.

I don't blame Calzaghe for the lack of huge huge names on his record but at the same time who was there to beat? Mainly the names mentioned weren't super middleweights.

Comment

Calzaghe fans = pathetic chumps.

hahha@racism because someone recognizes Calzaghe as a fraud. Butthurt.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                Calzaghes wins over Eubank, Lacy, Kessler and Hopkins were world class...

Just goes to show why Frank Warren has less fighters now though, the guy just gives too many easy defences out and at the time he was really the only major british promoter and why Matchroom has shot right past him.

I don't blame Calzaghe for the lack of huge huge names on his record but at the same time who was there to beat? Mainly the names mentioned weren't super middleweights.
                He could have still fought them. lots of other did. Calzaghe tried 46 times, and 46 times he failed.
                Last edited by DreamFighter; 02-22-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
                  Calzaghe clearly beat Hopkins in a close fight, people need to really get over it.
                  Seems to me black america is worse than the Ricans sometimes. They still can't get over Taylor getting knocked out by Chavez at the last moment. They blame it on Steele considering he did the right call. Just imagine their biggest media rivals the Brits AND a "white boy".

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                    His record speaks for itself no need to defend it, he is now retired and people need to give it a rest.
                    The record doesnt speak for itself, quite the opposite, its largely a joke. Its a Wlad Klit type record.. Thats likely why people wont give it a rest.

Comment

It's impossible to defend. Literally.

This is a guy who in his entire career fought just 3 fighters who were ranked the in the Top 5 of his division when he fought them.

He will get into the HOF, despite the fact I don't really think he should.

And, when he does, he will probably be the only person in the Hall who fought such little top ranked opposition.

He is NOT an ATG and it's not even remotely close to being arguable either.

Comment

Working...
                      X