No announcement yet.

Defend Calzaghe's record

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
    The Kessler win was without question. Absolutely nothing to debate.

The win against Hopkins was a clear but close win in the eyes of the majority.

Cliff Rold is a great boxing writer on this site. He does the boxingscene rankings among many great articles.

Read the article and feel free to dissect it. I'm sure it will spur some debate.
    Um at the time Kessler was being touted as the next great, the next dominant force. Calzaghe fans were saying he would rule the division and take over and be dominant over everyone.

Yes he's had a good career but even the most ardent of Kessler fans would say he's been rather limited and exposed considering where the hype was after the Calzaghe win. This is why I've long suspected the most Kessler fans don't even like the guy, they just are Calzaghe fans trying to make him look better.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
      46-0/while coked up....no one else can claim that
      From what I'm reading, you seem to think that fighting while on Coke is a bad thing.

Actually it can be another form of a Performance Enhancer (PED). I know a guy who was opening up boxes at the factory, and was real lazy and slow while doing it. He would go into the bathroom, get a few sniffs of coke and come out ready to work, full of energy, pulling apart those boxes. Anecdotal evidence, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
        Of course it is because it hurts your argument. Btw, the guy who did that video has a video against Floyd mayweather which I dont agree with but he's not biased.

What's he baised against? Lol. Nice try.

The entire video series shows the entire fight in slow motion. You can see how bull**** Calzaghe's defense is. Slowed down, zoomed in tape doesn't lie.

But only in this world can Calzaghe fans ignore facts and reality. "he was pushing the fight"= give him the win!

Yeah, because "pushing the fight" has always been a scoring criteria.
        I was ready and willing to give ol' Calslappy big credit had he pulled off a convincing victory over Hopkins. I will always hold it against B-Hop for losing that one. However even with that said, he (Hopkins) did not even lose clearly. The usual examples can be cited - that his face wasn't busted up, that he knocked down Joe, that at least one judge had him winning the fight out of the three.

A lot of the rounds Joe stole with flurries basically consisted of this:

photo SlappyJoe.gif

Comment

He beat Peter Manfredo!!!!!!!!

GOAT!

Comment

We've done this before but it appears some new fans have forgotten or dont know.

Okay, please anyone use facts to defend this record:

This is between his fight with Chris Eubank(1997) and nearly 10 years later Jeff Lacy (2006) who by all accounts is a bum but at the time was an undefeated contender that was someone that Joe should have fought. I'm going to comment on some of these but in reality all of these could easily have funny comments next to them:

2006-03-04 168 Jeff Lacy (Bum/Never was)

2005-09-10 Evans Ashira (who?)

2005-05-07 Mario Veit (notable because it took place in Germany)

2004-10-22 Kabary Salem (notable because it took place in Scotland which technically is another country lol. Also Calzaghe went down in round 4 and was headbutting intentionally and penalized for it.

2004-02-21 Mger Mkrtchyan (Great name. Who the ****? Also notable for being held in an ice rink in Wales).

2003-06-28 Byron Mitchell (Calzaghe down in the 2nd)

2002-12-14 Tocker Pudwill (i'll let the name do the joke here)

2002-08-17 Miguel Angel Jimenez

2002-04-20 Charles Brewer

2001-10-13 Will McIntyre (Notable for Denmark)

2001-04-28 Mario Veit

2000-12-16 Richie Woodhall

2000-08-12 Omar Sheika

2000-01-29 David Starie

1999-06-05 Rick Thornberry

1999-02-13 Robin Reid (Many people think he LOST this fight. Regardless it was a close fight)

1998-04-25 Juan Carlos Gimenez Ferreyra (Ice Rink hahahaha)

1998-01-24 Branko Sobot

1997-10-11 Chris Eubank (Weight drained, way past his prime)

Really? That makes him an ATG? This record? But wait he was afraid of flying.

Or was he?: Calzaghe only afraid of flying when it came to fighting"

I guess I'll wait for the usual folks to try to defend this.
            Well, ......Cliff Rold, BoxingScene's resident analyst deals with his very deeply, and clearly. He calls him an All Time Great fighter, and the best 168 pounder in history.

You probably saw this when you read his article in this issue about Marquez, and looked at the other name fighters which he analyses in the same way.

Or is this an "original" thought??

Comment

Uh oh-delusional racist butthurt fanboy alert.

Can't defend the record can ya girlfriend?

What is the pair of ears looking up at??

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
                And how about just reading the great Cliff Rold's piece on Calzaghe's career? In his opinion he's an ATG.

Cliff Rold could probably debate you silly on the subject. Feel free to dissect his article.

http://www.boxingscene.com/measured-...alzaghe--16920
                I hope you really mean "Cliff Rold's great piece on Calzaghe's career"..... I'd bet that after he read the analysis on Marquez's career he happened to catch the list at the end that shows there was also an analysis on Calzaghe.

He's just trying to be clever...no harm.

Comment

who ever said that calzaghies win over hopkins was a close but *clear victory* needs some serious help............

Comment

People on both sides will always argue the same thing over and over.

However, the fact there's doubt regarding Calzaghe as an ATG just goes to show that there are questions surrounding his resume, especially with a record like 46-0.

Argue how you like, but there's always that doubt there, and unfortunately that's not something you can twist

Comment

His record speaks for itself no need to defend it, he is now retired and people need to give it a rest.

Comment

Working...
                      X