Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one who thinks Thompson is a live dog?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thompson is over 40 years old and sucks. Price should be embarrassed if he can't beat him.

Comment

The sheer power of that right hand makes me think he'll catch Thompson and finish him.

Price is indeed slow, lumbering and poor defensively, but he really does have that one punch to make it work. Regarding Fury, I'd still have Price sparking him inside 5.

Comment

No way. Thompsons going to knocked out cold by the 5th round, IMO. I think price will make quick work of him.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          Am I the only one who thinks Thompson is a live underdog?

I like Price but its almost like he has suckered me in because of that sledgehammer right hand and tbh that is about the only thing he has.

Hes slow, lumbering, pulls back in straight lines, his defense is pretty bad, he hasn't a jab. Hes slow and heavy footed, when Skelton rushed him his feet wouldn't react.
          Hes just not very good and is very flawed though he hits you with that right hand, you're going to be on queer St.

At this stage and this kills me to say it I think Fury would box his ears off, I really do. Price always has a punchers chance but Fury is too quick, too mobile, he'd jab him too death and beat him to the punch all night.

Thompson is old as the hills, he isn't great but hes a big , awkward southpaw with bags of experience. If he comes in shape and he is there mentally (I think this is the big key), I think he is live.

I just don't think much of Price. Hes an accident waiting to happen and truth be told, he doesn't do anything for Wlads legacy. I really think Price is Mariusz Wach with a bigger right hand & without the chin.

He may blast Thompson out, he hits like a mule but if Thompson can get through the early rounds, I think we're going to find out an awful lot out about The big, stiff idiot.
          I have to disagree with you here. Price isn't fast, but he isn't slow. He is certainly faster and better coordinated than Wach.

Price has a good hard jab too. Sometimes he throws a softer pawing jab that is designed to allow him to get close to his opponent so he can throw the right hand. Wladimir does this on occassion too. But Price does have a harder thudding jab that he uses when he needs to.

Skelton came out the blocks very quickly in that fight. I don't think anyone expected that, Price included. I doubt he will be caught like that again.

I would favour Price to beat Fury and Pulev. I think Price poses a greater threat to Wladimir than anyone else in the heavyweight division.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
            I have to disagree with you here. Price isn't fast, but he isn't slow. He is certainly faster and better coordinated than Wach.

Price has a good hard jab too. Sometimes he throws a softer pawing jab that is designed to allow him to get close to his opponent so he can throw the right hand. Wladimir does this on occassion too. But Price does have a harder thudding jab that he uses when he needs to.

Skelton came out the blocks very quickly in that fight. I don't think anyone expected that, Price included. I doubt he will be caught like that again.

I would favour Price to beat Fury and Pulev. I think Price poses a greater threat to Wladimir than anyone else in the heavyweight division.

Which fight(s) has Price put his jab on display in? I think it was the Tom Dallas fight I couldn't help but think his jab was poor. Look where he brings his jab back too, it was nowhere to be seen against Skelton.

That actually is another thing that has shot my head away. He actually didn't expect Skelton to rush him like that & try roughing him up inside? That is how Skelton has always fought. Personally I thought it was obvious that is what he would do. Did Price think the old man would be intimidated or something?
            I'm not so sure he beats Fury any longer & I definitely wouldn't take him over Pulev.

Comment

I'm a fan of Wladimir and would love to sit here and be able to say ''A win over Price does wonders for him'' frankly it doesn't.
              A guy like Pulev I think does an awful lot because he is a threat.

Hes just a gigantic lump that has knocked out a handful of 40+ yr olds, hes heavily flawed and I strongly believe he is very limited.

Wladimir doesn't normally finish guys in a few rounds but I really do feel he'd destroy Price very quickly.
              The more I see of Price its almost like the least impressed I become.

I feel there is a lot of guys who would beat Price.

Vitali, Wladimir, Pulev, Fury, I think Helenius beats him too providing hes healthy. Wilder vs Price is a straight shoot out, its likely whoever lands the right hand first.

Comment

I agree to an extent, Thompson should not be as bigger underdog as the bookies have him. I would still expect Price's power to show through.

I think he is better than you have given him credit for, although isnt hugely quick on his feet i think he is deceptively fast with his punches due to how short they are. He doesnt wind up the right hand, just throws it with good technique.

The jab is a funny one, as HooksInYou says his jab is mostly used as a range finding pawing jab to get closer to his opponent. He seems to kind of wave it in front of his opponents face as a distraction before lowering his money punch.

I think his defense will be tested very soon, and its been a while since he has had to use it, but im not sure Thompson is the one to do it.

Edit: Price would annihilate Wilder at this point... I actually like Wilder and think he has a good upcurve, but he doesnt have the boxing ability of Price yet.
                Last edited by Tom Cruise; 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I also think an in shape Chisora would be an excellent test for Price should he come through this fight. We know he isnt fazed by tall fighters, he has a good chin, and against less mobile targets has a decent offense. Plus both have fought on Boxnation so it shouldnt be too difficult to make, though Chisora will probably looking for a few tune ups after the year he has had.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    I also think an in shape Chisora would be an excellent test for Price should he come through this fight. We know he isnt fazed by tall fighters, he has a good chin, and against less mobile targets has a decent offense. Plus both have fought on Boxnation so it shouldnt be too difficult to make, though Chisora will probably looking for a few tune ups after the year he has had.

That would be a good fight. I really didn't like how Skelton was able to plod into range and unload on Price tbh though he didn't have great success admittedly but he shouldn't of been able to do that.

I think Chisora's relentless swarming style could present a difficult task for Price. Hes also very tough and I feel Price would have to show us a B plan as Chisora isn't going to go as soon as Price hits him, hes going to be in his face even more.

Comment

I rate this a 50/50 fight although if the last Klitschko fight was an indication of Tony being past it then Price has to be favourite.

But I think that was a blip & he just went for a payday knowing he had little chance. Plus the Klits are very smart promoters & used the old trick that Mickey Duff used to do. "Bring your family. Have a little holiday" Have some fun"

But my view on this fight is the same as my view on Price v Fury. The longer it goes the more I favour Price's opponent.

Comment

Working...
                      X