Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The notion that older Heavyweights couldn't beat Heavyweight's the size of today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Just watch footage of some of the 90's heavyweight fights, and than watch everyone you just mentioned.....

I hate Arreola, seriously. Always have.

My favorite heavyweights right now are younger guys coming up, like David Price, Bryant Jennings, Malik Scott, etc. Or even Steve Cunningham, who easily beat Adamek and was robbed.

I'm not debating that Wlad and Vitali are good fighters, they are. The level of opposition hasn't been there though. Even Holmes, who fought in a weaker era, given what happened before and after his era, had better opposition in Shavers and an older Norton. If Shavers and Norton were fighting today and in the heavyweight picture, they'd beat everyone with the exception of the Klitschko's.
    If Wlad and Vitali were named Wally and Victor and from Ohio, we would hear very very little if anything about what a "weak era" this supposedly is from the Amerikan media.

Who did Mike Tyson ever beat, aside from a washed-up Holmes and light-heavyweight in Spinks?

Marciano fought old, way past it former champs and a selection of mob-picked bartenders and cabbies.

We can play this game all day -- it's all a matter of how one wants to portray these things.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nephilim View Post
      If Wlad and Vitali were named Wally and Victor and from Ohio, we would hear very very little if anything about what a "weak era" this supposedly is from the Amerikan media.

Who did Mike Tyson ever beat, aside from a washed-up Holmes and light-heavyweight in Spinks?

Marciano fought old, way past it former champs and a selection of mob-picked bartenders and cabbies.

We can play this game all day -- it's all a matter of how one wants to portray these things.
      Walcott and Charles could still fight when Marciano beat them.

Tyson beating Spinks is better than any win the Klitschko's have. Who have Vitali and Wlad beaten??? Haye, Byrd, Adamek....

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post
        not stupid at all.anybody can be beat.but saying a small guy would dominate any era when he was knocked out by a smaller weaker guy than said fighters of that era is stupid.plain and simple
        And Wlad was stopped by someone with not nearly the same skills as Schmeling. The reason its stupid is because Lewis was still very young and never bothered to train for that fight. This is well documented. Bottom line is Louis was infinity more skilled than any of today's heavyweights.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          And Wlad was stopped by someone with not nearly the same skills as Schmeling. The reason its stupid is because Lewis was still very young and never bothered to train for that fight. This is well documented. Bottom line is Louis was infinity more skilled than any of today's heavyweights.
          Louis was a legend without doubt. but it depends what you mean by skill. i'd class vitali as hugely skilled. not the most graceful but a master at using his height and reach. good example is the Peter fight where he totally negated a heavy hitter by never letting him near

and wlad has got possibly the hardest and most effective jab of any fighter who's ever lived

pretty skillful pair of big bastards IMO

Comment

Originally posted by YNWA View Post
            the 'olden days' nostalgia must always be tempered by the fact no fighters from communist countries were allowed to fight pro. and this is when most of eastern europe and all russia was communist

it cant be a coincidence that since the iron curtain came down the east europeans have dominated. not sdaying they would have in the 60s, 70, 80s but there would have been a fair amount of big russians competing at the top level who would have surely have some of the titles
            i dont doubt it.im not knowledgable enough on those fighters though.only russian hw out the 80's ive ever seen is ivan drago

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              and when did scmelling turn into a ring technician lol.wlad was stopped cause he gassed out and got hit by some big strong guys,something schmelling was not.wlad under steward has been damn near untouchable.louis was a ton more skilled,as most smaller guys usually are,but skill alone doesnt win fights.a chinny small hw is not dominating any recent era of hw's no matter how hard you want him to.are you even trying to imply wlad/vitali wouldnt dominate louis era?

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                He also fought Walcott and Charles....I don't think Joe would beat the Klitschko's H2H or other heavyweights who are greater than the Klitschko's. But I think he beat the likes of Brock, Peter, Sanders, Brewster, etc.
                when speaking on louis in fantasy fights,you just cant ignore his chini call all those fights as 50/50.i dont think he beats sanders at all though

Comment

Louis was a legend without doubt. but it depends what you mean by skill. i'd class vitali as hugely skilled. not the most graceful but a master at using his height and reach. good example is the Peter fight where he totally negated a heavy hitter by never letting him near

and wlad has got possibly the hardest and most effective jab of any fighter who's ever lived

pretty skillful pair of big bastards IMO
                  You're arguing with a guy who has made denigrating the Klitschkos a major theme of his existence.

So don't wait for him to agree with you, unless he does it using his patented attempts at "reverse psychology."

It's amazing to me the stake some of these types feel they have in keeping the mythology of Amerikan heavyweight dominance alive.

Even in the face of so much evidence to the contrary.

Love the Poet quote, that's a classick.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nephilim View Post
                    You're arguing with a guy who has made denigrating the Klitschkos a major theme of his existence.

So don't wait for him to agree with you, unless he does it using his patented attempts at "reverse psychology."

It's amazing to me the stake some of these types feel they have in keeping the mythology of Amerikan heavyweight dominance alive.

Even in the face of so much evidence to the contrary.

Love the Poet quote, that's a classick.
                    to be honest I'm not arsed where a fighters from if I like them. I'd quite happily see Tyson Fury dismantled by a North Korean / Taliban / Martian cos I think he's a bellend of the highest order even if he is English

but the short sightedness of some people is unbelievable. I love Marciano, Louis and all the greats but the truth is most of them would be blown away these days. I mean Foreman was viewed as a huge beast of a HW but he was what? 6 foot 2 maybe? he'd be an average sized HW these days. and I love Foreman but he was a one dimensional brute who relied on power against usually smaller fighters so his main asset, power, wouldnt be as destructive in this era

Comment

to be honest I'm not arsed where a fighters from if I like them. I'd quite happily see Tyson Fury dismantled by a North Korean / Taliban / Martian cos I think he's a bellend of the highest order even if he is English

but the short sightedness of some people is unbelievable. I love Marciano, Louis and all the greats but the truth is most of them would be blown away these days. I mean Foreman was viewed as a huge beast of a HW but he was what? 6 foot 2 maybe? he'd be an average sized HW these days. and I love Foreman but he was a one dimensional brute who relied on power against usually smaller fighters so his main asset, power, wouldnt be as destructive in this era
                      Yeah, very true.

Foreman and his wide punches, lol. He'd be blasted by a straight shot down the middle by a Klitschko.

But hey, he's an Amerikan, so that must mean he's invincible, at least when compared to Europeans.

At least according to some of these guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X