Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The notion that older Heavyweights couldn't beat Heavyweight's the size of today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Walcott and Charles could still fight when Marciano beat them.

Tyson beating Spinks is better than any win the Klitschko's have. Who have Vitali and Wlad beaten??? Haye, Byrd, Adamek....
    LOL. What Amerikan rationalizing.

And Haye would have killed Spinks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nephilim View Post
      LOL. What Amerikan rationalizing.

And Haye would have killed Spinks.
      i disagree with that.spinks would beat the hell outta haye

Comment

This is something I argue about, constantly. The heavyweights from history, Louis, Dempsey, Marciano; even later like Holmes, Ali, and Foreman would have put work on the Klitschkos and go undefeated with their resume.

Like you brought up, Lewis vs Carnera.
        Dempsey almost killed 6'6" Willard in the 1st round.
        Marciano took punishment for rounds and would still come with a huge late KO. That's when he was losing and we all know Marcianos record.

The argument might be difference in training, stronger and fast now. I would disagree, I feel the way people grew up in the the early 1900's, grew up much stronger, harder, more humble and with a type of life style we seem to act like was easy, infact more difficult than any time period. Not saying people don't have hard times now, but the amount was much higher.

These heavyweight fighters of this decade are nothing like before and the proof is in the popularity. At no time in the history of boxing has the heavyweight division been so ignored and all real fans can make the agruement we are making now.

Comment

Haye is a legit win. His performance against Wlad didn't show how good he is. We've seen him destroy guys from cruiser to heavy with his combination of speed and power. I'm not gona sit here and say Haye is a heavyweight comparable to the greats in terms of resume but in terms of power and speed? He definitely is.

Moving onto the Klits, I can totally understand when guys say they would have a great chance against some of the "smaller" heavies throughout history. A guy like Vitali who has a huge height and reach advantage over Louis, adding to his power and granite chin could even stop Joe. Joe was rocked and dropped by lighter hitting guys and went to hell and back against former MW and LHW champs. A huge guy like Vitali would at least give Louis trouble, let us all agree on that. And one well placed right hand? Who knows, Joe may have been stopped.

marciano was good but technically inferior to so many other heavies throughout history. He could take a good shot but what happens if Wlad/Vitali hit him? Or another very big heavy in LL? He was a slow, plodding, come forward guy with much shorter arms. I don't think he beats any of them in their peaks. The same goes for Paterson, Norton, Ellis etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
            This is something I argue about, constantly. The heavyweights from history, Louis, Dempsey, Marciano; even later like Holmes, Ali, and Foreman would have put work on the Klitschkos and go undefeated with their resume.

Like you brought up, Lewis vs Carnera.
            Dempsey almost killed 6'6" Willard in the 1st round.
            Marciano took punishment for rounds and would still come with a huge late KO. That's when he was losing and we all know Marcianos record.

The argument might be difference in training, stronger and fast now. I would disagree, I feel the way people grew up in the the early 1900's, grew up much stronger, harder, more humble and with a type of life style we seem to act like was easy, infact more difficult than any time period. Not saying people don't have hard times now, but the amount was much higher.

These heavyweight fighters of this decade are nothing like before and the proof is in the popularity. At no time in the history of boxing has the heavyweight division been so ignored and all real fans can make the agruement we are making now.
            weren't the Klitschko's raised in Soviet military bases where there dad was stationed? sounds like a pretty tough upbringing!

Comment

Originally posted by YNWA View Post
              weren't the Klitschko's raised in Soviet military bases where there dad was stationed? sounds like a pretty tough upbringing!
              also the HW division might be ignored in the US but that's like saying NBA is ignored in the UK. cos there's no British teams in it

Comment

Louis was a legend without doubt. but it depends what you mean by skill. i'd class vitali as hugely skilled. not the most graceful but a master at using his height and reach. good example is the Peter fight where he totally negated a heavy hitter by never letting him near

and wlad has got possibly the hardest and most effective jab of any fighter who's ever lived

pretty skillful pair of big bastards IMO
                Not much skill is used when you use reach and size.... all you need is realize what that advantage is, every boxer does it but the only difference is the Klitschko brothers have that on every person they fight.

Lewis on the other hand had speed, power, footwork, and great boxing skill.

Comment

A military base??? Ok, way hard life... That's sarcasm.

Comment

Not much skill is used when you use reach and size.... all you need is realize what that advantage is, every boxer does it but the only difference is the Klitschko brothers have that on every person they fight.

that argument doesn't add up. on that basis Valuev and Julius Long would be top class

I love Lewis. brilliant fighter and a top fella. prime lewis probably beats both Klits and in my opinion is possibly the best HW ever.

Comment

if thats the case,every decent tall fighter would have similar win streaks

Comment

Working...
                      X