No announcement yet.

Why all the hate for Cotto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko
    I actually think Cotto get's a lot of love and a bit of over praise at times..He was never ranked that high on the P4P list..His best win was against a good version of Mosley..Never was the Champion of any weight,I don't believe he unified any belts at any weights(if I'm not mistaken)..Lost most of his biggest fights,when the fighter across was of equal boxing I.Q.

Overall I would say Cotto is a B or B+kinda fighter..I think he get's shown the respect he deserves..But let's not over do it..
    unifying championships requires another champion to want to face you...

ricky hatton would not fight miguel cotto at 140

floyd mayweather would not fight cotto at 147

he lost most of his big fights...

trout was not a BIG fight...

so... he lost to Mayweather and Pacquiao (lots of shame in that)

and he lost a controversial (most people agree he was cheated) fight to margarito by TKO (in a fight he was up on most credible scorecards)

those are his big fight losses.

nothing to be ashamed of if you ask me.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatdudespits

When did Cotto go life and death with Paulie? I missed that fight .... i remember cotto fighting paulie when he was undefeated and breaking his cheekbone.... cottos resume at 140 is far greater than hattons... what you speak of sir, is name recognition... boxrec doesnt lie, take a peak for yourself.

I think Cotto has a better overall resume,but better 140lb resume??No way bro,Hatton was the Champ at 140lb..Which smashes anything Cotto did there..Hatton's resume is not that bad..
      Hatton was the lineal champ because he beat Kosta tzsyu... hatton has only faced 9 world champions in his entire career.... his record in title fights is only 7-2... who did he beat at 140? maussa after cotto took is 0.... pendleton?... keep it real... like i said.... compare the resumes at 140... boxrec doesnt lie.

Comment

who said sergio accomplished more??lol

Comment

Originally posted by thatdudespits View Post

and he lost a controversial (most people agree he was cheated) fight to margarito by TKO (in a fight he was up on most credible scorecards)

Trout was a big fight,esp after coming off a loss to Mayweather..Which means he now has back to back losses..If you did not think Trout was a big fight,I have to question if ya know the meaning of the word..

There's nothing to be ashamed of period,losing to another professional fighter..But they are losses none the less..I'm not bad mouthing Cotto,just giving a fair assessment of him as a fighter..Don't give me that no body wanted to fight Cotto nonsense..Was Hatton Mayweather the only Champions around at the time..Of course not..He could have fought other Champions to unify,but he did not..Which is the reason I brought it up..

Comment

Hatton was the lineal champ because he beat Kosta tzsyu... hatton has only faced 9 world champions in his entire career.... his record in title fights is only 7-2... who did he beat at 140? maussa after cotto took is 0.... pendleton?... keep it real... like i said.... compare the resumes at 140... boxrec doesnt lie.

They sure don't..Tzsyu is the best fighter on either fighters resume at 140lb..Hatton wins..Hatton also had Tackie,and a few other solid wins on his resume..But the Tzsyu win kills anything you can bring up for Cotto in more then one way..

Comment

Ok....

To be a boxing champ from Nigeria....where if you lose every fight you are still venerated. Why? because there are only so many boxing champs from Nigeria I guess. Dick Tigher comes to mind and Sam Peter.....a man who could do not wrong losing most matches in the process.

Puerto Rico and Cuba are small islands....Islands that have boxing traditions that are uncompromising....they compete with Mexico, a country with a few more people one may say? haha. Mexican fighters are also born and bred in an environment with knowledgable fans and a tradition of course.

To be a boxing champion is one thing. To be a boxing champion from the land of boxing? from the net that extends from Puerto Rico to Cuba.... is something entirely different. In my humble opinion the skills, the knowledge and the expectations of the fans make it so a Puerto Rican champion has a lot more to carry than most. And when we look at the disproportionate amount of ability that comes from Puerto Rico and Cuba we can begin to understand why......Why fighters like Trinidad, JUan Ma, Cotto, Savon, Stephenson, Gambis, have a real tradition to answer for. In Cuba and Puerto Rico these guys are like gods!

The knock on Cotto is that he never really had the temperment to respond to the accolades of the fans he represents. Its a similar story in some ways to Nando really.... A latin fighter who had/has a respectable career by most standards but its not enough! Trinidad had the fire, the big punch always waiting, and even when he lost to Hops the way he did....people felt his pain. Cotto is more of a pouter....when he lost to Margarito he finally showed some vengeance and that fight (the second one) imo got him in the good graces of the fans. But after that fight Cotto was on the tail end of his career. While he got the respect of Mayweather (who probably could have Ko'ed him) the Trout fight was a stupid fight to take at that time in his career.

Cotto is one of my favorite fighters. He is a Puerto Rican fighter through and through...hard punching, complete offense, smarter than people think on Defense, technically very accomplished.....He is a great champion who should not, at this time in his career pick opponents to chase around the ring. Beating Mosley was a fantastic accomplishment and few people remember that Cotto showed great range in that fight, boxing Mosley in the later rounds and fighting well defensively. Few people credit his fight against Judah who at the time was a live opponent...like Tito Cotto did choose a nut shot! oh well **** happens and we all love to see Judah's pained face at least once a fight.

This guy is a future HOFER imo and is better defensively than he gets credit for.

Comment

for those who say Cotto was never elite.... well then what was he?
                a very good fighter. a level below the elite. nobody's saying this to disturb you or ruin your day. the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Cotto failed and failed again when the time came to prove he belonged in that next distinct class above. people can make excuses time and again for him, but that's all they are, excuses.

like it, leave it, whatever. it's the cold, hard truth. he fell short of the expectations that many had for him, proved himself a lesser quality of fighter than was supposed by those people (you among them, clearly).

Martinez isn't elite, either. he's another very good fighter who possesses a lesser body of work than Cotto but arguably (< operative word here) the better individual wins. he's been presiding over a historically weak 160lb division and isn't exactly cleaning it out.
                Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                  I actually think Cotto get's a lot of love and a bit of over praise at times..
                  yes. if anything, certain people make too many allowances and excuses for this guy. two sets of people - 1. Puerto Ricans who once saw Cotto as the heir of borinquen and who now seek to paper over his shortcomings when it's pointed out that he proved himself unable to live up to that mantle and fill Trinidad's large shoes, because (even with those shortcomings) he's still the best thing they've had to cheer about over the last decade by far, 2. fight fans who expected huge feats of him and were proven to have overestimated him rather a lot.

Comment

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatdudespits

Trout was a big fight,esp after coming off a loss to Mayweather..Which means he now has back to back losses..If you did not think Trout was a big fight,I have to question if ya know the meaning of the word..

There's nothing to be ashamed of period,losing to another professional fighter..But they are losses none the less..I'm not bad mouthing Cotto,just giving a fair assessment of him as a fighter..Don't give me that no body wanted to fight Cotto nonsense..Was Hatton Mayweather the only Champions around at the time..Of course not..He could have fought other Champions to unify,but he did not..Which is the reason I brought it up..
                    the only thing that makes the trout fight a big fight...is the fact that miguel cotto was in it... that in itself makes it a big fight... so if trout was a big fight then cotto has had many big fights and won most of them.

hatton and mayweather were both lineal champs...

cotto could have unified against clottey but the IBF forced clottey to relinquish his title.

just giving my fair assessment

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310
                      Quote:

Originally Posted by Rome-By-Ko

I actually think Cotto get's a lot of love and a bit of over praise at times..

yes. if anything, certain people make too many allowances and excuses for this guy. two sets of people - 1. Puerto Ricans who once saw Cotto as the heir of borinquen and who now seek to paper over his shortcomings when it's pointed out that he proved himself unable to live up to that mantle and fill Trinidad's large shoes, because (even with those shortcomings) he's still the best thing they've had to cheer about over the last decade by far, 2. fight fans who expected huge feats of him and were proven to have overestimated him rather a lot.
                      i wasnt even going to go here but you forced my hand....

cotto has faced and beaten more world champions then felix trinidad...

they are both 3 division world champs

trinidads biggest win is a fight that everyone saw him lose to de la hoya...

whats his other biggest win? vargas? lol... Joppy? lol...campas?... mayorga?

cotto has a far better resume... compare them yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X