No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward: I've Lost All Respect For Froch, Kessler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
    I get the fact that he isn't some KO king win it comes to earning casual fans. But these dudes claim to be "real" boxing fans (what ever that is). He is aggressive, he's a masterful boxer, great D, enough pop to keep anyone honest. You may not think he has earn your respect but he certainly doesn't deserve disrespect. All I heard was "We'll see when he fights Froch". He beat the **** out of Froch. Then goes on to fight the LHW champion. He makes him quit. Damn they found d a way to discredit that. Exchange Ward for any white or maybe even Mexican face you want and he gets his ass kissed at least til the next fight. I ain't making this **** up.
    I am an American (Caucasian) but I just have to say that American fight fans are a fickle schizo lot: While the Euros seem to love their fighters unconditionally....Lol the Danish guy was even saying they love Neilson! In this country we want our fighters to be role models, to always perform 100% and if there is any deviation the person is subject to much derision.

Lets compare Ward to Sven Ott a guy who I would argue WAS INDEED protected by the refs. Ott never left Germany, was a mediocre fighter and was adored... Ward is an elite fighter preferes to fight at home and has pretty much always been denigrated. First it was that he didn't step up, then it was his style, now it is his preference to stay at home.

I don't think this issue is racial I just think we chew our sports figures up and spit them out. But you might have a point to be sure

Edit: And heres the thing. Ward is so much better than these other guys that it is silly to say things like if he hadn't headbutted he would have been matched.
    Last edited by billeau2; 01-26-2013, 11:44 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

I hear ya. And definitely I thought his win over Dawson was more impressive than his performance against Kessler.

Comment

I agree with Ward, they both need to get over it. Both of them lost one sided decisions to Ward and I know fighters have pride, but it looks foolish to make excuses, demand rematches and talk tough when you got beaten up for 12 rounds. I used to respect Kessler more but I am starting to lose all of it now. Froch I already have no respect for because he is a loudmouth arrogant jerkoff. I was hoping Kessler wasn't turning into one too but I guess we will see. I see no point in a rematch for Ward with either one of these guys, they will lose a UD decision again or maybe be stopped. Kessler was at least somewhat more competitive with Ward, not by much but minimally. Froch was not competitive at all with Ward, it was almost pointless to watch.

Comment

I like Ward, he's one of my favorite fighters.

But to everyone saying you don't need to travel because America give the most money in terms of boxing. That's just false information.

Europe actually give more money for a lot of fights.. especially at 168.. where it's always been extremely popular in the Uk and rest of Europe.
          So if it's purely a money thing Ward fighting Kesller in Denmark or Froch in England= more money.
          The issue is I think Ward is just a bit afraid of bad decisions outside of his home country. Ward knows he don't got KO power and don't really wanna risk it.

Comment

Home Town does make a difference in some instances though.

I just wanna bring up Lennox Lewis.

Lennox Lewis often said that in his fight against Ray Mercer the entire MSG was shouting at him and yelling insults like

'**** OFF BRIT'

'YOU NOTHING BUT A BRITISH LOSER'

'GO MERCER USA USA GO MERCER GO MERCER'

Lewis said he had to dig deep because that entire first 20 rows was screaming non stop insults at him and the whole arena was roaring at every punch Mercer threw.

Mercer meanwhile openly ADMITTED fighting with 100% of the crowd cheering for him.. was a big part of why he did so well.

Lewis's camp also said that in the first Holyfield fight .. he honestly could have knocked Evander out, and Lennox might have pushed even harder if that fight was in England.

Lennox repeatedly wanted to fight in England for his big fights like against Mercer-Tyson-Holyfield- etc.. but they kept screwing him over.

Sometimes Lennox might seem bitter these days.. but think about it.. His entire career short of Botha and Ruddock had the vast majority of arenas booing him and shouting insults at him.

That's the down sides of fighting away from home and Lewis experienced that more than anyone.

Comment

Since Froch lost to Ward he's brutally beaten the guy who was ranked behind Ward who was the only guy left for Ward to fight to prove beyond any doubt he's the #1 guy. Now he's re-matching the only other person who's beaten him to prove beyond doubt that he's the #2 guy in the division. And then maybe he'll give Bute a 2nd beating if he has to.

In short, despite the fact Ward beat him comfortably he'll have done 100* more than anyone else in the division since he lost to Ward to get a shot at the #1 spot.

Likewise if Kessler wins he'll hold 2 wins over the best fighter in the division not called Ward since his one-sided defeat to him. The winner of the Froch Kessler fight will have earned the right to fight Ward more than anyone else. Had anyone else in the division made a big statement in the last 2 years then things would be different, but no-one has one a damn thing. Except maybe Bute. Who got raped by Froch.

Nothing wrong in Froch and Kessler wanting to beat Ward to become number 1 (i cant see either doing it btw). And they're going about getting a rematch in the right way. They're not just talking ****.
              Last edited by gingeralbino; 01-27-2013, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                I am an American (Caucasian) but I just have to say that American fight fans are a fickle schizo lot: While the Euros seem to love their fighters unconditionally....Lol the Danish guy was even saying they love Neilson! In this country we want our fighters to be role models, to always perform 100% and if there is any deviation the person is subject to much derision.

Lets compare Ward to Sven Ott a guy who I would argue WAS INDEED protected by the refs. Ott never left Germany, was a mediocre fighter and was adored... Ward is an elite fighter preferes to fight at home and has pretty much always been denigrated. First it was that he didn't step up, then it was his style, now it is his preference to stay at home.

I don't think this issue is racial I just think we chew our sports figures up and spit them out. But you might have a point to be sure

Edit: And heres the thing. Ward is so much better than these other guys that it is silly to say things like if he hadn't headbutted he would have been matched.
                You are one among a very few. America is slowly starting to commend underachieving. Unfortunately we don't have many Caucasian Fighters in America right now for an up to date comparison. I just look at Ward and say to myself "This guy is squeaky clean, religious, a hell of a fighter and the mirror of a role model type" what is the issue. I dont know that i could stand it if someone like Mike Lee was half as talented and successful. It would really take us back to Jim Crow. It sounds drastic but its that blatant to me. I won't whine all night but whew.....

Comment

A Clear Legit Win Needed by Ward?!

Who really thinks Ward needs to legitimately beat Kessler? Answer, he's already done it!

Kessler got a good & proper pasting by Ward in their fight. He fought cleverly & had Kessler struggling from the middle rounds onward by jumping inside Kesslers range & battering him around the body & with uppercuts.

Edit: He slipped in some decent counter right hands too.

Kessler is one dimensional, he can't in-fight & likes to bang with that jab & right hand from the outside. Ward wins all day....whether in the States, Denmark or anywhere else.

Froch is the same, though I definitely think he has a punchers chance but he too is a bit one dimensional. Neither can handle Wards fantastic footwork, in-fighting & ring intelligence.
                  Last edited by Dazzaman; 01-27-2013, 12:50 AM. Reason: Missed something

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzaman View Post
                    Who really thinks Ward needs to legitimately beat Kessler? Answer, he's already done it!

Kessler got a good & proper pasting by Ward in their fight. He fought cleverly & had Kessler struggling from the middle rounds onward by jumping inside Kesslers range & battering him around the body & with uppercuts.

Edit: He slipped in some decent counter right hands too.

Kessler is one dimensional, he can't in-fight & likes to bang with that jab & right hand from the outside. Ward wins all day....whether in the States, Denmark or anywhere else.

Froch is the same, though I definitely think he has a punchers chance but he too is a bit one dimensional. Neither can handle Wards fantastic footwork, in-fighting & ring intelligence.
                    I agree in that I think Ward beats Kessler and Froch again.

But, who else should he fight if he stays at SMW? If he moves to LHW without re-matching them then its no big deal, but if he stays at 168 then there aren't any better options imo

Comment

• Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
                      I agree in that I think Ward beats Kessler and Froch again.

But, who else should he fight if he stays at SMW? If he moves to LHW without re-matching them then its no big deal, but if he stays at 168 then there aren't any better options imo
                      True, both are still worthy opponents at SMW, no doubts. If Bute possibly comes back & does something worthwhile maybe. Can't see him doing it though, the beating Froch gave him was pretty severe....

Maybe a fight against the winner of Froch/Kessler would clear the air for those who still have doubts about Ward, it would certainly earn some decent money if fought in Britain especially. That could be motivation enough.....then move up to Light Heavy. I personally believe he's really too small at Light Heavyweight, inspite of his win over Dawson, & that he's waiting to see what develops down in the middleweight division. Waiting for Martinez or even JCC jr? (That's just speculation on my part really)

Comment

Working...
                      X