No announcement yet.

Quillin gives more excuses not to fight Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
    Quilling obviously said HIS TEAM is advising him. Quillin doesn't pick who he fights and plus doesn't he have a mando already after Guerrero?
    That's something I alluded to earlier in the thread. I don't know how much say the "Kid" has in choosing his opponents. He might not have any say at all. The bickering on this topic might very well be over nothing. Quite frankly, I think that, usually, whenever guys like Quillin talk about who they "choose" to fight, it's just posturing. It's an image thing. In reality, most of the time they're forced to fight whomever their promoter puts in front of them. Then they go out and do interviews where they overstate their power in choosing opponents, like Floyd does.

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      That's something I alluded to earlier in the thread. I don't know how much say the "Kid" has in choosing his opponents. He might not have any say at all. The bickering on this topic might very well be over nothing. Quite frankly, I think that, usually, whenever guys like Quillin talk about who they "choose" to fight, it's just posturing. It's an image thing. In reality, most of the time they're forced to fight whomever their promoter puts in front of them. Then they go out and do interviews where they overstate their power in choosing opponents, like Floyd does.
      honestly bro it doesn't matter if Quillin is picking his fights or simply his handlers are, the point is this type of stuff hurts the sport and shouldn't be defended.

We already know Al Haymon managers Peter. We already know Haymon has "worked his magic" and somehow got Rubio to be Peter's mandatory fight after Guerrero. Is this acceptable? Is that where boxing is at now? If so what a sad and pathetic sport it has become (of course I know the answer, it is this pathetic, Canelo got his "World Title" by beating Matthew Hatton after all).

Peter, I believe, is a good kid. He has a great personality and I think he's a genuinely nice guy. Which is why I've been a fan of his. But it's about wanting the best fights as fans and that's what we should all ask for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray* View Post
        No way they have to fight NOW or its ducking!!!
        lmao That's probably the funniest, most ignorant aspect of this whole argument. Like everything is supposed to be swept aside because GGG "stepped to" Quillin. Pete has at least two fights scheduled already. On top of that, he may not have any power in choosing his opponents at all (despite what Peter implies). It's all silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
          Why would Geale want to fight Quillin though? It's a merry-go-round of ducking! Geale is fighting Anthony Mundine and already said he wants to fight the Sturm/Sam Soliman winner. More money for Geale fighting in Germany/Australia (see how this works?).
          I see your point. It comes back to what I've said about these guys talking for the sake of talking, when their managers/promoters are really calling the shots.

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
          Yes, that is the world we live in but that doesn't mean fans should simply lay down and support it and defend this kind of behavior. Fans should constantly hold fighters accountable for their actions. We should constantly demand or at least ask for the best fights. Especially when divisions become a clusterfuck of ducking. Look at 160 pounds and 154 pounds. No one wants to fight anyone.
          I agree. It's a circus. And no, the fans shouldn't take it lying down. What are you going to do about it, though? Stop attending fights? Stop paying for PPVs? No, you're going to complain about it to other likeminded fans on an Internet forum and nothing will change. So, it's either band together and actually get something done, or reluctantly accept that, for the time being, at least, it is what it is.

honestly bro it doesn't matter if Quillin is picking his fights or simply his handlers are, the point is this type of stuff hurts the sport and shouldn't be defended..
          I've already addressed this several times, including my above statement.

We already know Al Haymon managers Peter. We already know Haymon has "worked his magic" and somehow got Rubio to be Peter's mandatory fight after Guerrero. Is this acceptable? Is that where boxing is at now? If so what a sad and pathetic sport it has become (of course I know the answer, it is this pathetic, Canelo got his "World Title" by beating Matthew Hatton after all).
          Again, I think I've already addressed this.

Peter, I believe, is a good kid. He has a great personality and I think he's a genuinely nice guy. Which is why I've been a fan of his. But it's about wanting the best fights as fans and that's what we should all ask for.
          I agree with every word.

Comment

No, it's not good for the sport. But it is what it is. First of all, let's make it clear that, despite Quillin's talk, he's not unilaterally calling the shots here. Almost certainly, his promoter forces him to fight whomever he puts in front of him. But let's pretend for a moment that Pete has Mayweather-like control over his destiny. (That shouldn't be a problem, since we've been doing that all the while anyway.) Put yourself in Quillin's shoes: "Hmmm...I'm not doing this shit forever and this Golovkin guy is a little too good. He could derail my plans of making the rest of my life very comfortable. Maybe I should take a couple of easier fights and let the demand build a little more. If I'm going to lose marketability, I need to get paid!"
            All of this is double true for Canelo, yet most posters rightfully **** on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              All of this is double true for Canelo, yet most posters rightfully **** on him.
              Then let them shit on Quillin.

Comment

Then let them shit on Quillin.
                Unlike Canelo, he hasn't been ducking the entire division, and only gets SHO undercards, so it's hard to get too worked up over it. But way easier than investing energy into justifying that approach. And if you do, better try to stay consistent. But that's more aimed at jsfd.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                  Unlike Canelo, he hasn't been ducking the entire division, and only gets SHO undercards, so it's hard to get too worked up over it. But way easier than investing energy into justifying that approach. And if you do, better try to stay consistent. But that's more aimed at jsfd.
                  Like most serious fans, I want to see the best possible fights get made. Of course I do. Why wouldn't I? So that Pete can make more money? So that he can retain his "zero?" Please...I'm a grown man. But I also understand how the world works. Quillin and his promoter want to see him make the most money possible. Who can't understand that? Just because I understand it doesn't mean I've gotta like it.

A few years ago, I supported JuanMa Lopez and his remarks about "fighting who his promoter told him to fight." Lopez was being honest about his situation, yet people bashed him. Most other guys try to pretend they have more clout than they really do and make up excuses. You can't win.

Comment

• uG
                    You realize Golovkin was Sturms mandatory for TWO YEARS right? Sturm shamelessly ducked him and the WBA allowed it. He then was supposed to fight Geale but Geale rather be stripped of his belt than fight.

Golovkin was also set to fight Pirog but Pirog injured himself and pulled out. GGG also tried to fight Ndam with no luck.

So how can you criticize Golovkin? Its not his fault these guys didn't fight him.

Further Golovkin is 30. Quillin is 29. Lets not act like Quillin is some young kid he's basically the same damn age.
                    Look I know all that, but the difference between guys like me and guys whom ride fighters and believe everything they say, I'm not that person. For instance Sturm ducked the entire division for years. Does Bhop, Pavlik, Taylor and Abraham ring a bell? Just because GGG, HBO, and his team goes on camera and does video's about guys ducking him, and him fighting these so called heavyweights doesn't mean its true. For one I'm pretty sure his team knows lest call out fighters, now good and well they have no chance in fighting Martinez, then here comes Martinez is scared. Wrong in the end of the day Martinez is trying to get that cream. Which ggg doesn't bring. Now too Quillin, the article I read, interview I saw and what's said in my gym is that win Quillin was asked about a potential fight with ggg, he said that would be a great fight for both , and that both need to het about 2 more wins to get their name out some more to maximize their earning power. See from a fan or a peon for certain fighter that's ducking, but from true enthusiasts of boxing that's very understandable. I take no sides of fighters, I just look at with a clear vision. Your right Quillin is 29, but by boxing standards GGG is a veteran over 300 amateur fights , decorated amateur, whereas Quillin is still new to boxing and has been learning on the job, with minimal amateur experience. See here's the point I'm putting and its a fact. GGG has been a pro as Long as Ward, he's probably one the few guys in boxing with that amateur background. Yet Ward has surpassed him, heck young up and comers like Mares, Rios, Garcia, Broner, and Bradley who's from that 2006 class I believe has surpassed him. So what was the hold up? I read in one of the post that he couldn't fight Pavlik because Pavlik lose to bhop, that makes no sense . Pavlik was still the man @160 because the bhop fight wasn't for the middle crown. Was it 09' this fight took place? That's either 2-3 yrs as a pro for GGG, he could of battle Pavlik than and been the man of the division like Martinez, but no Martinez jumped to the plate. The point is I've been following boxing and team ggg is just trying to make a name now, and in all honesty the middle division is not that hot
                    Last edited by Nahshon Israel; 01-26-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Abraham
                      Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                      I hold Quillin/Wright in the same regard as I do Canelo/Mosley, very little was earned from beating tremendously faded fighters. GGG's resume isn't much better than Quillin, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. My underlying point: MW isn't reaching its full potential because the top guys aren't fighting each other. The business aspect continues to get in the way of fights that make sense from a competitive/rankings stand-point. Although I don't have issues with the top MWs building themselves up, I believe that there's a more respectable way of doing it. Quillin not fighting another titlist after Guerrero/Rubio is unacceptable. Geale not fighting another titlist after Mundine is unacceptable. Martinez fighting Chavez after Murray is unacceptable. This is partially why Golovkin is getting the ridiculous amount of hype he's currently receiving.
                      Like I posted earlier, in the interview I seen with Quillin, that's not exactly what he said. What he said was a fight with ggg would be great, but both him and ggg need about to more fights here to get their names out and and when they fight maximize their earning power. Now to GGG , he has one heck of team, example, HBO, and team GGG knows exactly what they are doing with going into interviews, YouTube video's with calling everyone out, then claiming they're ducking with leaving important facts out. Now everyone wants to say Sturm ducked him? Name one top middleweight Sturm didn't duck? I can name Bhop, Pavlik, Taylor, Abraham. Sturm even turned down a fight with Edison Miranda when he was relevant. We know Sturm didn't want any part of Martinez. Now with GGG I hear,q,d multiple stories I heard team GGG wanted the fight on a neutral turf, not going to happen with the Champ, no matter what, unless your offering big $$$. Now the only fighter I can say ducked ggg probably Hussein, but even that story is filled with hoow you say GGG's resume is not as bad as Quillins, come on now its just as bad.
                      Last edited by Nahshon Israel; 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X