No announcement yet.

The best posible fight at 160 is Kid Chocolate vs GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post

i'm actually starting to think sergio maravilla can outpoint golovkin. it would be a very interesting fight. i think he'd mark him up and use the ring, and hope the big bombs never come.
    I think Golovkin would have a chance against Martinez. Obviously you need to use movement and use the ring to be effective against GGG's style and that's what Martinez is good at. But Golovkin does a lot of subtle things in the ring that might go unnoticed. He's great at cutting off the ring. He's defense is probably better than most people realize. And his power is just undeniable, he wears guys down. Martinez, we've obviously seen him hurt and he was exhausted against Chavez, who isn't nearly as good at applying pressure as Golovkin is. So he's got a shot.

The other thing is I just don't know if Martinez is going to fully recover from those injuries. He's what, 38 years old now? I'm not so sure we'll ever see the best Martinez again, that Chavez fight may have took something from him. Time will tell though.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
      You honestly believe Lou Dibella would make a Martinez-Golovkin fight? C'mon man, it's not going to happen. Ever. Dibella is all "who the fuck is golovkin!?!" and yet he loves the Martin Murray's and Darren Barker's of the world, who obviously aren't bringing in boatloads of cash.

if the money was right i see no reason not to take the fight. right now they've made the decision not to take the fight on the grounds that the money is not right, and no others.

"the right money" means the fight that makes the most sense to them.

they're not scared of gennady golovkin, if that is what you are implying. certainly not after last night.

Comment

NE, I don't think you're giving Geale enough credit. He's a much more relevant and credible foe than Pirog, and actually captured both his belts in Germany. I just hope he does the "right" thing and unifies with Golovkin/Quillin if he beats Mundine.

Comment

I think Golovkin would have a chance against Martinez. Obviously you need to use movement and use the ring to be effective against GGG's style and that's what Martinez is good at. But Golovkin does a lot of subtle things in the ring that might go unnoticed. He's great at cutting off the ring. He's defense is probably better than most people realize. And his power is just undeniable, he wears guys down. Martinez, we've obviously seen him hurt and he was exhausted against Chavez, who isn't nearly as good at applying pressure as Golovkin is. So he's got a shot.

The other thing is I just don't know if Martinez is going to fully recover from those injuries. He's what, 38 years old now? I'm not so sure we'll ever see the best Martinez again, that Chavez fight may have took something from him. Time will tell though.
          Golovkin's a good counter-puncher too, I pick Martinez at the moment but I think he would have his hands full with GG, not an easy fight.

Comment

if the money was right i see no reason not to take the fight. right now they've made the decision not to take the fight on the grounds that the money is not right, and no others.

"the right money" means the fight that makes the most sense to them.

they're not scared of gennady golovkin, if that is what you are implying. certainly not after last night.
            what do you mean if the money is right? $10 million dollars? lol.

The money is right for Martin Murray, Darren Barker, etc., which is a lot less than what he'd make against Golovkin. So what does this mean exactly?

Martinez isn't scared, but Lou Dibella quite obviously doesn't want to take risks with Martinez anymore.

Comment

alvarez will obviously never happen, but i'd pay to see that fight.

i'm actually starting to think sergio maravilla can outpoint golovkin. it would be a very interesting fight. i think he'd mark him up and use the ring, and hope the big bombs never come.
              He COULD but i like GGG's patient but constant stalking pressure to catch up to the older fighter who has been injured and had that rough final round with Jnr who is less of a pressure fighter and less of a puncher than GGG imo. I think Martinez obviously would have his moments, his movement would be a problem but then Gennady keeps composed cuts off the ring and go's to work. Could see him buzzing Golovkin with sharp quick shots, Serg can punch u know and GGG has poor head movement but then again he aint no punchbag, he does subtle things in there and his chin seems real solid, never down including 350 amateur fights....

Id have Golovkin by late stoppage in a real tear up

Comment

the age of martinez and his injuries are going to be the most important aspect of the discussion. they're the reason why i was picking golovkin via stoppage until after the rosado fight. he'll be 38 very soon. knee injuries in a fleet athlete are no joke. my assumption that he can win a decision includes that he's able to return healthy.

and his best he's faced fighters similar to golovkin. pavlik hit like a mule and had a big chin. so did chavez jr. they're different kinds of punches, but being at the end of a pavlik right hand is going to be similar to taking one of golovkin's strong arm bombs. martinez did a good job at taking that right hand away and getting off of the ropes, the way a much lesser fighter in rosado was able to do early on against golovkin. he totally schooled chavez for 11 rounds, despite chavez' massive advantage in size and his own resistance to punches.

golovkin's chance would be at a stoppage. if he hurts martinez early in a round he could very likely finish him. i can't see him winning the rounds if martinez is healthy. he's a better technician that pavlik. he's a much better finisher than chavez (and oviously the better technician.)

i think the key to this fight (other than martinez' health,) is foot speed. if martinez can use his for 12 rounds he wins. if golovkin can use his technique and his tricks on offense and land his power, he could very well get a stoppage.

healthy martinez on points in a fight that will never happen. martinez would have to stop chasing floyd mayweather, chavez JR would need to be out of the picture, and golovkin's pay grade would need an extra zero on it. his HBO ratings are pretty damn good, i'll venture. it's just a shame that martinez is 38, and likely to retire no later than 2014.

Comment

The money is right for Martin Murray, Darren Barker, etc., which is a lot less than what he'd make against Golovkin. So what does this mean exactly?

Martinez isn't scared, but Lou Dibella quite obviously doesn't want to take risks with Martinez anymore.
                  Martinez is at a point in his career where the money fights matter. I think they'll still take risky fights, but only if the reward is good

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                    He COULD but i like GGG's patient but constant stalking pressure to catch up to the older fighter who has been injured and had that rough final round with Jnr who is less of a pressure fighter and less of a puncher than GGG imo. I think Martinez obviously would have his moments, his movement would be a problem but then Gennady keeps composed cuts off the ring and go's to work. Could see him buzzing Golovkin with sharp quick shots, Serg can punch u know and GGG has poor head movement but then again he aint no punchbag, he does subtle things in there and his chin seems real solid, never down including 350 amateur fights....

Id have Golovkin by late stoppage in a real tear up

i actually think golovkin's pressure isn't much worse to deal with than jr's. jr is a huge kid. his chin looks better, probably a product of his size. and he's faster, especially with his feet. he's also six feet tall. golovkin looks about 5'9"

golovkin's a pretty solid offensive technician, though. he doesn't need to pressure like crazy all the time. he's pretty patient, as you've said. that's not really the traditional sort of pressure.

Comment

he'd take the risks if the money was right. floyd mayweather at 150 lbs is a risk. they've offered to take it at 20%. that's the money being right. that's how any business works. it's a very basic principal.

the specifics are his prerogative, and not mine. if you kept putting money on the table you'd eventually reach a number lou dibella is comfortable with. nobody other than lou dibella, maybe sampson lewkowicks, would know what that number is. hbo might have a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X