Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the heavyweight division get so much crap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dc6112 View Post
    The Klitschkos, Haye, Adamek, Povetkin, Arreola, Pulev, Chisora, Fury, Price.

While this division isn't the most exciting in boxing, it has plenty of talent and every one of these guys has something entertaining about them(klitschkos are boring but they almost always finish their guy). So why do the heavies get ***** on all the time as a weak division? Is is just because there's no American in it aside from Arreola?
    Out of the names you listed, how many are African Americans?

There's your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nephilim View Post
      Out of the names you listed, how many are African Americans?

There's your answer.
      Fights of The Year (2012):

Pacquiao v Marquez IV
      Salido v Lopez
      Mayweather v Cotto
      Martinez v Chavez Jr.
      Rios v Alvarado

There are no Heavyweight fights that came close to the level of excitement these fights brought. There is your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
        You're comparing Holyfield to fighters like Adamek and Haye? James Toney became an HW when the division was heading to the ****ter.
        So? He became a heavyweight therefore the division sucks? It's not like he did anything noteworthy. James Toney makes some of the number 1 contenders of the past look like Olympians. Check out Tony Galento who floored Joe Louis and Chuck Wepner who knocked down Ali.

Comment

Because its awful. Its one of, if not the worst, division in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
            In my opinion you are a phaggot.

Marquez gets praised
            Pacquiao gets praised
            Martinez gets praised
            Klitschko's blow.
            But Marquez, Pacquiao and Martinez are not heavyweights.

There have always been great fighters from other countries in the smaller divisions (Duran, Monzon, etc).

The truth is: some people feel the heavyweight champion should be an African-American, or at least a black man. That's just the way it is. That's why some narrow-minded older men hate the Klitschkos.

Comment

I think in some ways the Klitschkos have made the division worse through no fault of their own...

First they are the only cash cows of the division. This means the people below them dont want to fight each other because they may lose and go out of contention for a shot at the k-bros.

Second their size has meant smaller heavys (up to 220lbs) have tried to bulk up because they believe it will help them compete. Unfortunately bulking up past their natural weight has left them looking pudgy and imo negatively affected their performance (Solis prime example).

Thirdly they are so damn dominant. Fans rarely see the K-bros out of their comfort zone, history has shown us the more dominant you are the less people respect you. Marciano, Holmes, Hopkins, too a certain extent Lewis, all suffered from this.

Finally the fact that they are brothers has meant for years and years we have not seen the two top heavys fight each other. Obviously i dont expect them to fight (and completely respect that), but imagine if they werent brothers and they had a too and fro trilogy with each other? Suddenly the era doesnt look so bad.

I like the look of the heavies on their way up at the moment though, i have high hopes for Fury, Price, Pulev, Chisora (if he can get in shape properly), even Deontay Wilder could be an ok heavy in a few years. Im sure there are more but im having a mind blank at the minute...

Comment

Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
                In my opinion you are a phaggot.

Marquez gets praised
                Pacquiao gets praised
                Martinez gets praised
                Klitschko's blow.
                All of these fighters fight in America against American or Mexican opponents so they get way more exposure in the states than the K-bros do. Bad comparison.

Comment

if there was a black american fighter dominating it would get credit

just how things work

Comment

I's been a weak division for a long time now and I see no help on the horizon! It has little to do with not having an American fighter as a lead it does have to do with obvious talent levels and then the personality to bring boxing back to the fore front. Boxing goes as the Heavyweight Champion goes!!!
                    I'm not trying to add to the knock on the Klitz. Bros. but they're NOT box office their NOT world wide and their NOT talented enough to catch the sporting publics eye!!! If they were, then boxing would be healthier and the better divisions wouldn't seem so far ahead!
                    It helps to have a bit of history of boxing to formulate an opinion on the division the first Heavyweight Champion that I recognized as a young man was Ezzard Charles but then Rocky Marcianos reign was a very public and openly successfull one!!! Rocky was an engaging fellow who was serious about helping kids and promoting boxing and was a private man also!!
                    The big names that followed kept the division strong for many years!!
                    Ali
                    Frazier
                    Holmes
                    Forman
                    Holyfeild
                    Tyson
                    then the Lewis's to the Klitz Bros. I'm excluding the marginal (alpha. champs)
                    like Bonecrusher, Berbick and all that "I won a title" BS!!!
                    Boxing needs a World Wide recognizable man with talents and charisma with wide shoulders to carry boxing back to the status it once held!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                      I's been a weak division for a long time now and I see no help on the horizon! It has little to do with not having an American fighter as a lead it does have to do with obvious talent levels and then the personality to bring boxing back to the fore front. Boxing goes as the Heavyweight Champion goes!!!
                      I'm not trying to add to the knock on the Klitz. Bros. but they're NOT box office their NOT world wide and their NOT talented enough to catch the sporting publics eye!!! If they were, then boxing would be healthier and the better divisions wouldn't seem so far ahead!
                      It helps to have a bit of history of boxing to formulate an opinion on the division the first Heavyweight Champion that I recognized as a young man was Ezzard Charles but then Rocky Marcianos reign was a very public and openly successfull one!!! Rocky was an engaging fellow who was serious about helping kids and promoting boxing and was a private man also!!
                      The big names that followed kept the division strong for many years!!
                      Ali
                      Frazier
                      Holmes
                      Forman
                      Holyfeild
                      Tyson

then the Lewis's to the Klitz Bros. I'm excluding the marginal (alpha. champs)
                      like Bonecrusher, Berbick and all that "I won a title" BS!!!
                      Boxing needs a World Wide recognizable man with talents and charisma with wide shoulders to carry boxing back to the status it once held!! Ray.
                      Thing is the reason those fighters were able to achieve world wide status was because of America's position as global leaders. If you were big in America then you were big everywhere. The Klitschkos are charismatic, personable, they run charities, Vitali is in politics, but the fact that they are from a poor eastern euro country makes it much more difficult to gain a global fanbase.

Comment

Working...
                      X