Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the heavyweight division get so much crap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off the people you listed just recently became 'good prospects'

the Klitschko era was not Price-Fury-Pulev... Wilder whatever.

the Klitschko era= Adamek, Chambers, Thompson, Sultan, Ruslan,

that's the Klitshcko era.

2nd off- most of these guys could end up being a knock out victim.

My favorite is Tyson Fury but even I admit he could end up being hype..
    Price-Wilder-Jennings-Pulev could all end up being hype jobs.. so let's not judge them this fast yet.

3rd off
    The Division is fuking horrible. all you have to do is look at the 'top 5' instead of just the top 2.

90's -Lewis-Holyfield are the top 2.. After them comes Prime Bowe-90's Tyson and probably Prime Mercer...

Top 5 of this era=
    Klitschkos- elite
    but after them comes
    Povetkin-Adamek-- in terms of resume and throw in Haye in terms of h2h.

So
    Lewis
    Holyfield
    Bowe
    Tyson
    Mercer

vs
    Vitali
    Wlad
    ADAMEK
    POVETKIN
    Haye..

then it gets worst as you round up the top 10.
    Chris Areloa is consider a top 10 HW.

So was Razer Ruddock-Frank Bruno.

I'm not saying Bruno was elite, but Prime Bruno vs any version of Arreloa spells death to Arreloa.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
      The exact same ****, happened to Larry Holmes.

What's more is that it happened to Muhammad Ali too.

It happens to Floyd and it is going to continue to happen to Ward.

I could go on and on, it goes all the way back to the very early days of boxing (Gentleman Jim Corbett), the more intelligent fighters get discredited at every turn, even when they beat their "superiors" handily.

I am a fan of Wlad, but you can hardly expect to be a casual fans favourite if you aren't pressing the action all the time.

He wins and there is no-one in the division that could conceivably beat him, but he does not have an eye-catching style nor does he talk **** to hype up his fights. That is the problem. Being American or not may be a slight factor but it doesn't matter as much as you think it does.
      This x10000. Fans HATE fighters that consistently win and make it look easy. "When is he gonna fight someone good?" is asked regardless of who he fights. "The division is just weak!" They said it in Marciano's day, Ali's day, Holmes' day, Tyson's day. No one gets any credit until they lose some fights or go life-and-death with opponents.

The Klitschkos, stylistically, don't appeal to American audiences. I am a HUGE Klitschko fan but have come to terms with that fact. Their nationality has very little to do with their lack or popularity here. I mean, Manny Pacquiao is probably the most well known boxer in America and he's from the Phillipines.

Comment

no Americans

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
          First off the people you listed just recently became 'good prospects'

the Klitschko era was not Price-Fury-Pulev... Wilder whatever.

the Klitschko era= Adamek, Chambers, Thompson, Sultan, Ruslan,

that's the Klitshcko era.

2nd off- most of these guys could end up being a knock out victim.

My favorite is Tyson Fury but even I admit he could end up being hype..
          Price-Wilder-Jennings-Pulev could all end up being hype jobs.. so let's not judge them this fast yet.

3rd off
          The Division is fuking horrible. all you have to do is look at the 'top 5' instead of just the top 2.

90's -Lewis-Holyfield are the top 2.. After them comes Prime Bowe-90's Tyson and probably Prime Mercer...

Top 5 of this era=
          Klitschkos- elite
          but after them comes
          Povetkin-Adamek-- in terms of resume and throw in Haye in terms of h2h.

So
          Lewis
          Holyfield
          Bowe
          Tyson
          Mercer

vs
          Vitali
          Wlad
          ADAMEK
          POVETKIN
          Haye..

then it gets worst as you round up the top 10.
          Chris Areloa is consider a top 10 HW.

So was Razer Ruddock-Frank Bruno.

I'm not saying Bruno was elite, but Prime Bruno vs any version of Arreloa spells death to Arreloa.
          You forgot John Ruiz probably the most successful after the Klitschko's but they didn't fight him.

Comment

I could go on and on, it goes all the way back to the very early days of boxing (Gentleman Jim Corbett), the more intelligent fighters get discredited at every turn, even when they beat their "superiors" handily.

I am a fan of Wlad, but you can hardly expect to be a casual fans favourite if you aren't pressing the action all the time.

He wins and there is no-one in the division that could conceivably beat him, but he does not have an eye-catching style nor does he talk **** to hype up his fights. That is the problem. Being American or not may be a slight factor but it doesn't matter as much as you think it does.
            I agree for the most part.

Being American or not is only a slight factor, but fighting in the US or not has a relevance, in my opinion.
            Wlad last fought in the US is five years ago, while Martinez, Pac etc. mostly train and fight in America.

As for his style, it is indeed not eye catching, the reason why I don't like his fights though is not his cautious style, but his being repetitive, monotone.

I enjoy watching Floyd Mayweather, for instance, he is not offensive but I can always learn something by watching him. The way he defends himself, the way he feints, the way he counters etc.

With Wlad, for me at least, it's like re-watching a fight you already know. Use the jab, if it gets to the inside clinch. Your opponent found a way to trade at a comfortable(for him) distance?. Step back. Does your opponent look frustrated? , is he opening up?. Start looking for a right hand.

Is it of course a bit of a generalization, but I think it roughly sums up my impression.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
              It gets so much crap because it is crap. Fat out of shape fighters and cruiserweights in the top 10 ratings.
              Klitschko (x2) Pulev, Boystov, Price.... Out of shape cruiserweight, right? Get outta here you clown....what's funny is a of those fat out of shape cruiserweight are the AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHTS. The HW division is not only alive and well...but THRIVING in Europe with good up and comers. Dealwithit.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                The division is average at best, but what makes it worse is the best fighters don't fight each other regularly.
                And this is the reason why. If the guys ranked in the top 10-20 actually fought each other, we'd have entertaining fights, fights that would develop future stars and bring attention back to the division. Below the Klits and Haye, all the guys are pretty evenly matches. Imagine a year when Arreola fought Chisora or Pulev, wheer Povetkin took on Helenius and Price/Fury settled their differences, then the winners of all those fights fought each other to get a shot at the true champions.

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
                  Klitschko (x2) Pulev, Boystov, Price.... Out of shape cruiserweight, right? Get outta here you clown....what's funny is a of those fat out of shape cruiserweight are the AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHTS. The HW division is not only alive and well...but THRIVING in Europe with good up and comers. Dealwithit.jpg
                  Haye, Adamek = Cruiserweights
                  Arreola, Chagaev, Povetkin = Overweight

Then there's fighters like Solis and Chisora that were recently in the top 10.

Come again clown.
                  Last edited by Jam Jars; 01-02-2013, 07:10 AM.

Comment

proper post

Comment

Haye????????

Horrible example. Does he still box?

Comment

Working...
                      X