No announcement yet.

Grade the Degree of Difficulty for Each of the Potential Floyd Opponents

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
    closest thing was Zab Judah. I gave him 2 rounds but could see how some would give him 3

These would be interesting fights though. Floyd seems to be more advanced against southpaws now after seeing his display against Ortiz. He shoulder rolls against them fairly easily these days.

Guerrero isn't the greatest fight compared to other fights in Floyd's body of work, but he is a jabbing southpaw. I'm kind of glad Floyd will get additional experience against them under his belt by boxing Guerrero. I hope this leads to a Martinez showdown.

Check this Katsidis-Guerrero footage out. Katsidis feints the right to land a big right that hurts Guerrero and sends him reeling to the ropes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0D3DEvub2k#t=30s

Floyd can do that and even more. He's capable of busting out double and even triple right hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuJH9BtcWBs#t=1m35s

We'll see a brilliant display of Floyd's offensive arsenal if this Guerrero fight pops off. Guerrero has the style to get knocked out by Floyd, and FLoyd loves to slice the bodies of lefties.

Robert is open for all kinds of right hand shots.
    The problem with Zab Judah is that he's pretty small even for a 140 pounder (size not height) and had a clear reach disadvantage against Floyd; he also tends to slow down (sometimes dramatically) in the second half of his fights. He was still able to give Floyd a better fight than most and technically handed him his only knockdown.
    I would have been interested in seeing how Floyd fights against a taller counterpuncher with a possible reach advantage.

About Robert Guerrero, I could also see that ending in a knockout (Rd6-10))... I feel its a good style match up for Floyd. If the fight does go the distance it could also offer us more insight into Mayweather's abilities and approach against southpaws.

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
      The problem with Zab Judah is that he's pretty small even for a 140 pounder (size not height) and had a clear reach disadvantage against Floyd; he also tends to slow down (sometimes dramatically) in the second half of his fights. He was still able to give Floyd a better fight than most and technically handed him his only knockdown.
      I would have been interested in seeing how Floyd fights against a taller counterpuncher with a possible reach advantage.

About Robert Guerrero, I could also see that ending in a knockout (Rd6-10))... I feel its a good style match up for Floyd. If the fight does go the distance it could also offer us more insight into Mayweather's abilities and approach against southpaws.
      Floyd and Zab have the same reach.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        I'm not too sure about that outcome. It's why I said I don't think Canelo beats him. It would not be a blow out for either fighter. I think it would be close. Lara tends to fight at his opponents level and is comfortable with that. He fought to a draw with Molina who's a spoiler, he fought a close fight with Vanes which I thought he won, and he clearly beat Williams.

I think if Canelo can't find Lara's body, he loses. He has to go to the body to slow him down, if he can't do that, Lara wins.
        He should have lost to Molina. Very lucky to get the draw.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
          Floyd and Zab have the same reach.
          You're right. Zab still looks shorter though, boxrec has him listed at 5'7. Regardless, he doesn't have a height or reach advantage the way guys like Lara, Trout, and Martinez do, so his fight against Judah doesn't really give us an idea of how he would do against them.

How do you think the 130-135 Mayweather would have approached a fight against guys like 'Titere' Vasquez and Richard Abril (both orthodox but tall counter-punchers who use lateral movement)?

Comment

A = Very Difficult
            B
            C
            D
            F = Easy Work, **** fight

People keep saying that Floyd is ducking the toughest challenges. Who in the boxing game qualifies as a tough challenge for him?

Move up From 140

Danny Garcia = D
            Lucas Matthysse = B-
            Amir Khan =C

Robert Guerrero = B+
            Timothy Bradley = B
            Kell Brook = F
            Devon Alexander = C
            Juan Manuel Marquez = C

Canelo Alvarez = B
            Sergio Martinez (fight takes place at 154) = C
            Austin Trout = B
            Erislandy Lara = B-
            James Kirkland = C
            Carlos Molina = A

Sergio Martinez (fight takes place at 160) = N/A , floyd aint got the balls

none of these fights are tougher than the guys floyd ducked in the past

Comment

Working...
            X