Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Martinez Still Target Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martinez will be ready and available for Floyd by September. Sergio needs to do whatever it takes to make it happen.

Comment

• Of course, it should be pointed out that Mayweather is really just a welterweight who was barely able to gain enough weight to make the junior middleweight limit for his WBA title bout with Miguel Cotto last May. And Pacquiao, if we want to go there, has never made the junior middleweight limit, even when being allowed to challenge Antonio Margarito for the vacant WBC title in 2010. Meanwhile, Martinez is a full-fledged middleweight, two full weight classes above either Mayweather's or Pacquiao's best weight.
      It's understandable that Martinez would want to look for the biggest fights for the most money, but at some point reality has to set in.

For either of these bouts to happen, Martinez would have to drop at least six pounds while Mayweather and Pacquiao would have to agree to move up to full junior middleweight status. At 37 years of age, dropping so much weight could have a real negative effect on his ability to perform and it's a sure thing that neither Mayweather nor Pacquiao would be willing to offer him a favorable catchweight arrangement.

There's plenty of solid opposition for Martinez at middleweight with a Chavez Jr. rematch and a possible world title unification with WBA/IBF champ, Daniel Geale topping the list of quality middleweight clashes. There are also plenty of good junior middleweights who could move up to answer a call. And, if Martinez really wants to challenge himself, he could always move up to super middleweight for a pound for pound clash with WBC/WBA champ, Andre Ward.

So, with plenty of quality and realistic opposition out there, Martinez should stop chasing dollar signs and start thinking of other reasonable big ticket bouts.
      http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sergio-...0967--box.html

Comment

• As a matter of (fact Dunn), Chavez/Martinez was (only) ppv because Chavez was fighting Martinez. So like I said, Martinez has in fact headlined a major ppv, while ginger has not. That's a fact anyway you look at it.

Comment

• Martinez is ducking Ward.

Originally posted by frankwill202 View Post
          Why isn't Martinez calling out Ward. He looks real desperate lets be real a natural middle weight and welterweight. I just call it how I see it, and the only way Floyd should fight Martinez is make him come down to welter nothing else. Floyd is the champion and cash cow, and to anyone that questions that just realize that you have to go up almost weight divisions to find a challenge.
          I will never understand this...they want a man who started his career as a 130 to move all the way up to 160 (a weight he never competed at before) so that his opponent can beat him using his size advantage instead of his boxing ability....he basicially wants to fight a smaller man.

However he refuse to move up to 168 to challenge himself...he refuses to move up to 168 because his size advantage will be negated and he will have to rely on his skillset.

Martinez fans will say "he can't make 168 effectively" but what about Mayweather..he 36, do you think he will make 160 effectively? Ward will eliminate Martinez which is why Martinez and his team wants to fight a smaller man....less risk, more reward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            What?? Did Chavez jr fight himself?? Did he shadowbox a mirror?? Martinez was the other half of that equation. The headline was not Chavez jr vs a mirror. It was Chavez/Martinez.

Like I've said & stated over & over, If Floyd fights again at 154, it should be Martinez. Not ginger. Who hasn't done squat & doesn't deserve it. But if you agree that Martinez/Floyd is the bigger fight, maybe even biggest & best fight that can be made, why settle for ginger/Floyd?? (From a fan's perspective). I'd understand you arguing the case if you somehow was a part of Floyd's company & tended to gain from his earnings. But you're not.
            Martinez was "the opponent". come on man lets not watse time on bull****. Chavez was the A side.

because floyd/martinez at 154 does nothing for floyd. Its only meaningful if he wins the MW title from sergio and sergio comes in at 160. Thats why I want to ee floyd/sergio at 160. There is no reason financially or legacy wise to have the fight at 154.

Again, when your argument makes no sense come with the "defending floyd" or "are you on floyds payroll" stuff.

Comment

• if floyd

fights guerrero, canelo and martinez and defeats all of them, then retires....he goes down as the best of my generation and then some...

Comment

• Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
                Do it at 160 otherwise there isn't much point. Nothing left for Mayweather other than that. Anything else is just a pad floyds bank account fight. Don't expect him to take the challenge but its the only challenge left, and if it does happen I'm picking Mayweather to win! Find some balls floyd!!
                So Mayweather has to go to 60 and fight Martinez to show that he has "balls"? Do you not understand how ridiculous you sound?

Comment

• 15 pages later....

If Martinez wants to get Mayweather, he has to eliminate Canelo. It's that simple. He'd be killing two birds with one stone: taking out a potential opponent for Floyd while proving that he's still good at 154.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                    So Mayweather has to go to 60 and fight Martinez to show that he has "balls"? Do you not understand how ridiculous you sound?
                    no, fight martinez to prove he is the GOAT as he claims to be. to do that, he needs balls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                      As a matter of (fact Dunn), Chavez/Martinez was (only) ppv because Chavez was fighting Martinez. So like I said, Martinez has in fact headlined a major ppv, while ginger has not. That's a fact anyway you look at it.
                      But Canelo has appeared on ppv more often than Martinez, and while Martinez was seen by 500k or so, Canelo has been seen by over 1 mil fans at least twice.

Comment

Working...
                      X