No announcement yet.

Your thoughts on Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I really don't have a bias against Macklin. Because I don't rate him I must have a bias against him? Why is that the recurring theme around here?

I've followed Macklins entire career and although he is a decent fighter he is not a very good fighter, IMO. He surprised me in the Sturm fight and should have got the W IMO which is again, why I give Martinez credit for that win because he was very unlucky to not get the W against the #2 in the division at the time.

He has improved since the Moore fight, sure. But not by too much. He still has a lot of weaknesses now that he had back then. But, he is more polished.

And Macklin can not box. He is not a good boxer.

One of the most false and stupid myths going around on this site.
    If you're not biased then don't bring up ancient fights to try to discredit a fighter. The guy has decent boxing skills, but of course that depends on what your standard is; naturally, if your comparing him to the elite like Ward or Mayweather then of course you'll say he can't box. However, the fact that he was able to fight Martinez as a boxer as opposed to a brawler is reason enough for me to believe that he feels comfortable in that role. If the guy coudn't box he would have been KO'd within in the first five rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
      he's a prettyboy that seems to not like girls
      is everyone that can beat manny a **** in your mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
        is everyone that can beat manny a **** in your mind?
        nah ..with sergio i was just messing around..with floyd , i dont think he can beat manny and i think he's a ****

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
          If you're not biased then don't bring up ancient fights to try to discredit a fighter. The guy has decent boxing skills, but of course that depends on what your standard is; naturally, if your comparing him to the elite like Ward or Mayweather then of course you'll say he can't box. However, the fact that he was able to fight Martinez as a boxer as opposed to a brawler is reason enough for me to believe that he feels comfortable in that role. If the guy coudn't box he would have been KO'd within in the first five rounds.
          Should I dismiss the fact he was knocked out cold by Jamie Moore?

He doesn't have decent boxing skills. The fact he even tried to box against Martinez was mind blowing, in all honesty.

That's not his style, never has been and only God knows why he even tried that.
          Last edited by IronDanHamza; 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Should I dismiss the fact he was knocked out cold by Jamie Mooore?

He doesn't have decent boxing skills. The fact he even tried to box against Martinez was mind blowing, in all honesty.

That's not his style, never has been and only God knows why he even tried that.
            It's entirely possible he's gotten better since Moore, it's clear he has. There was little evidence of it before Sturm though, you don't have to go as far as Moore. And getting robbed by Sturm is no great accomplishment, some pretty "average" fighters have done it. Not Murray though.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              It's entirely possible he's gotten better since Moore, it's clear he has. There was little evidence of it before Sturm though, you don't have to go as far as Moore. And getting robbed by Sturm is no great accomplishment, some pretty "average" fighters have done it. Not Murray though.
              He is better, I've said he's better. I wouldn't say he's that much better though.

And agreed on the rest of your post.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                nah ..with sergio i was just messing around..with floyd , i dont think he can beat manny and i think he's a ****
                Floyd does seem a little gay sometimes lmao

Comment

he's the best in his division, but most fans won't even rate him worthy of their all time great middleweight list. don't blame them, the guy has only fought 7 times at 160 and lost one to williams

Comment

Sergio "Sexy Stud" Martinez?

Man crush city for me.

Oh...and umm.....awesome fighter too.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                      This is the problem, we don't need another Barker. To be fair, it's a homecoming fight and is fine for what it is. But consider that Chavez is next in sept, and that's 3 years of non p4p activity. I understand he's earned the right to maximize his risk/reward, but lets not make him some anti Floyd/Pac. He's doing the same thing, except with worse comp since PWill 2 (2 full years), having done far less to earn the right. Not that anyone wouldn't do it in his position.
                      Who else is top 10 P4P at MW that Sergio could fight? Nobody is the correct answer.

All of his last 4 fights were undefeated fighters or nearly undefeated, ranked in the top 10 in the world at MW with the exception of Dzinziruk who was top 3 in the world at 154. Martinez hasn't taken even one single soft touch in the last 3 years....unlike a guy like Andre Ward for example fighting Allan Green, Pudwill or Bika, who aren't anywhere near a p4p list yet people put him above Martinez........that is just crazy to me.
                      Last edited by mathed; 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X