Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Pacquiao-Marquez the greatest boxing rivalry of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
    you need to look up the definition of rival/rivalry.

nowhere does it say anything about catch weights, monies, or cotto.
    they fought 3 very close fights. manny won 2 of them and the other was a draw. I, and many others, didn't see the need for fights 3 or 4. So its hard to now call it a great rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
      well its obviously a classic rivalry. 4 quality fights that could have gone either way. anybody that says it isnt a classic rivalry clearly has to be blind or have an agenda.
      they can't just disagree for the reasons I stated. really man you honestly believe like DTMB that my points are designed to discredit manny?

could you tell me how saying this isn't a classic rivalry in any way, shape, or form discredits manny?
      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        If Holyfield has a heart attack after Bowe 1, #2 and 3 dont happen

Are you seriously attempting to alter history?
        a lil extreme but point understood. cmon man, of course not. but we are discussing whether this is a great rivalry. many on this board saw no need for fights 3 and 4. the great ribalries people are posting, everyone wanted to see the additional fights.

Comment

Ali-Frazier will always be the greatest rivalry. Frazier took his disdain for Ali to the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
            they can't just disagree for the reasons I stated. really man you honestly believe like DTMB that my points are designed to discredit manny?

could you tell me how saying this isn't a classic rivalry in any way, shape, or form discredits manyy?
            i really dont care if you discredit manny or not. from my point of view, whatever the reasons for 4 fights, the actual fights were all quality fights.

it doesnt discredit manny, i never said it did.

can you tell me how any boxing fan who watches those 4 fights can say it isnt a classic rivalry?

Comment

a lil extreme but point understood. cmon man, of course not. but we are discussing whether this is a great rivalry. I'm just staing why.
              You said its not a great one because Cotto could have taken the fight and the 4th fight may not have happened.

I dont understand at all why that matters. At this point you're stating meaningless hypotheticals in an attempt to discredit it, and in like 15 posts said nothing about how their in ring action mattered

Comment

could you tell me how saying this isn't a classic rivalry in any way, shape, or form discredits manny?
                you said I had anagenda so I figured it was that. I've tried to explain that in my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  ali and frazier for me

it's not even close.

Yep! ^^^agree, but I'm old...

Comment

they fought 3 very close fights. manny won 2 of them and the other was a draw. I, and many others, didn't see the need for fights 3 or 4. So its hard to now call it a great rivalry.
                    Yea and the 3rd Ali-frazier fight "didnt need to happen", yet without it, it wouldnt be one of the greatest, if not the greatest rivalry ever

Is that rivalry also hard to call a great rivalry?

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                      You said its not a great one because Cotto could have taken the fight and the 4th fight may not have happened.

I dont understand at all why that matters. At this point you're stating meaningless hypotheticals in an attempt to discredit it, and in like 15 posts said nothing about how their in ring action mattered
                      thats not the only reason I gave. the fact that the fights shouldn't have happened mitigates the "rivalry" for me. thats all I've been saying.

again, what am I trying to discredit? I just don't think it is a classic rivalry. the motivation wasn't competition between two great fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X