No announcement yet.

Gamboa vs Farenas weigh in VIDEO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    Gamboa doesn't have the greatest chin, that's no secret. Everyone points to that flaw as the major reason why they don't think Yuri will hang around. Yet, fighters like Juan Manuel Marquez and "Tito" Trinidad managed to have pretty good careers, despite a few trips to the canvass. With his increasing professional experience and growing defensive responsibility, "El Ciclon" is becoming more difficult to topple with every fight.

I've seen virtually all of Gamboa's fights. He's been down four times, once against Salido. And, yes, Yuri was off-balance on three occasions (if memory serves). There was only one time where Gamboa was possibly affected by a punch. One time. The rest of the time he rose from the canvass and unleashed hell.

The upset may come some day, but that's not a bold prediction. Many of the best fighters in history were upset, some more than once. One thing I'll happily bet on, though: it ain't happening this Saturday night.
    I'll disagree with you there. Gamboa's progress fighting out of a more classical stance hasn't been inspiring enough for me to cosign. If Gamboa was 21 I might be saying something else here but he's not. He's 31. There's no time. Most of your post is about his chin. Most of my post was about the changes and corrections his handlers have attempted.

If you've watched all of Gamboa's fights you know the newer more conventional Gamboa looks pedestrian, sometimes downright confused and/or resistant to keeping his guard up and leading with the jab and throwing combinations effectively with commitment. That's not Gamboa. That's not his rhythm. But has no choice but to fight that way based on what his team seems to have decided. Dropping his hands and blasting his opponents out won't fly at world elite level. The big boys can defend, and they hit back. Hard.

Gamboa could very easily lose to someone with a fraction of his athleticism and amazing physical attributes IMO. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
      I'll disagree with you there. Gamboa's progress fighting out of a more classical stance hasn't been inspiring enough for me to cosign. If Gamboa was 21 I might be saying something else here but he's not. He's 31. There's no time. Most of your post is about his chin. Most of my post was about the changes and corrections his handlers have attempted.

If you've watched all of Gamboa's fights you know the newer more conventional Gamboa looks pedestrian, sometimes downright confused and/or resistant to keeping his guard up and leading with the jab and throwing combinations effectively with commitment. That's not Gamboa. That's not his rhythm. But has no choice but to fight that way based on what his team seems to have decided. Dropping his hands and blasting his opponents out won't fly at world elite level. The big boys can defend, and they hit back. Hard.

Gamboa could very easily lose to someone with a fraction of his athleticism and amazing physical attributes IMO. We'll see what happens.
      You make some fair points. I can't disagree that it's too late for Gamboa to completely alter his defensive style. He's been fighting the way he does for too long. Indeed, he looks a little "off" when fighting more conventionally. But I'm not sure it's as much of a problem as you say. Yuri's considerable natural talent allows him to do things others have to learn "skills" to compensate for. However, that's what separates many of the greats from the more "pedestrian" fighters. Ali, for instance, never fought in the classical style. Jones Jr did okay, only paying for his defensive flaws after his best days were behind him.

And what "big boys" are you referring to? Gamboa was the top dog at 126. He beat Salido, arguably the new "man" in the division, convincingly; and he beat Ponce De Leon easily, in a completely different style. From where I'm standing, Yuri will be the man at 130 as well. Gamboa might lose his first fight at 135, but that's a weight that he's not necessarily suited for. As you said, we'll see what happens.

Comment

IMHO Gamboa is being ridiculously overestimated by the fans. It's the handspeed, athleticism and raw explosiveness. Hell, it's just the hype at this point. I can understand how someone could get carried away. However, Gamboa is vulnerable and he'll be the victim of an upset some day soon. Maybe not tomorrow. Soon though. Please quote me on that.

People who have been watching him for a minute know about his chin. He doesn't take the best shot. At bum level. But it's the conventional (unnatural for him) fighting style he's been forced to adopt since his team realized he couldn't get away with acting like he's a prime Roy Jones about ten or twelve fights ago that is going to be just as much or more of a liability.

Gamboa has been a confused fighter for some time. To this day he only looks comfortable when he's able to drop his hands and do that machine gun stuff, despite all the efforts to "correct his style" in the gym. I can see that he's been learning and improving but the curve is too slow. Fortunately for him he's a lethal weapon when he lets off.

Soon there will be an upset. Maybe not tomorrow. Soon though.
        You're trying a LITTLE too hard, just a little. But hopefully, for your sake, one day your prediction comes true. I'd hate for you to look dumb.

On another note, I am up right now and can't go back to freaking sleep cause Im so damn anxious...

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
          You're trying a LITTLE too hard, just a little. But hopefully, for your sake, one day your prediction comes true. I'd hate for you to look dumb.

On another note, I am up right now and can't go back to freaking sleep cause Im so damn anxious...
          Damn you guys are up already, it' s only 6:00 in Vegas, I'm on my way to it .
          We will witness history today.

Comment

Feel sorry for Farenas, gamboa will blast him..

Comment

IMHO Gamboa is being ridiculously overestimated by the fans. It's the handspeed, athleticism and raw explosiveness. Hell, it's just the hype at this point. I can understand how someone could get carried away. However, Gamboa is vulnerable and he'll be the victim of an upset some day soon. Maybe not tomorrow. Soon though. Please quote me on that.

People who have been watching him for a minute know about his chin. He doesn't take the best shot. At bum level. But it's the conventional (unnatural for him) fighting style he's been forced to adopt since his team realized he couldn't get away with acting like he's a prime Roy Jones about ten or twelve fights ago that is going to be just as much or more of a liability.

Gamboa has been a confused fighter for some time. To this day he only looks comfortable when he's able to drop his hands and do that machine gun stuff, despite all the efforts to "correct his style" in the gym. I can see that he's been learning and improving but the curve is too slow. Fortunately for him he's a lethal weapon when he lets off.

Soon there will be an upset. Maybe not tomorrow. Soon though.

Nah man, Gamboa has actually improved over his time as a professional. When he first showed up on the scene, he had a lot of hype behind him and he got careless a few times.....he was never really hurt by any knockdown, he always got back up to win the fights.

He has become more defensively minded over the past year or two and I saw more than a few people comment on how they didn't like that style. The guy smashed people that gave JuanMa the hardest fights or even beat him (twice). I mean the guy ran through these people like they weren't even there and some people were saying that JuanMa would beat him......no way man, no way.

Gamboa's speed, power, reflexes are all off the chart. He is patient and dedicated too.....I mean the guy took off in a boat for the states and left his entire family back in Cuba.....that takes sincere dedication.

I saw some footage of Farenas, he is pretty solid but once he eats the first solid punch from Yuri, he is going to start to back peddle. I say Gamboa sparks this guy out in under 8 rds. Two rounds to shake off the rust and then he goes to work by breaking this guy down.

Comment

I don't know were you get that but in his first fights he fought ppl outside of his level soo he didn't put the guard up cuz they were journeymen..he trashed them hard..watch the videos again..he rock their heads with so many fast hard and accurated punches tha t he didn't feel threatened..now he fight in a most careful way but still..I don't know were you got that..how my countryman said you are trying to hard to discredit a fighter who is maybe the one with the more dominant career till now...

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  Nah man, Gamboa has actually improved over his time as a professional. When he first showed up on the scene, he had a lot of hype behind him and he got careless a few times.....he was never really hurt by any knockdown, he always got back up to win the fights.

He has become more defensively minded over the past year or two and I saw more than a few people comment on how they didn't like that style. The guy smashed people that gave JuanMa the hardest fights or even beat him (twice). I mean the guy ran through these people like they weren't even there and some people were saying that JuanMa would beat him......no way man, no way.

Gamboa's speed, power, reflexes are all off the chart. He is patient and dedicated too.....I mean the guy took off in a boat for the states and left his entire family back in Cuba.....that takes sincere dedication.

I saw some footage of Farenas, he is pretty solid but once he eats the first solid punch from Yuri, he is going to start to back peddle. I say Gamboa sparks this guy out in under 8 rds. Two rounds to shake off the rust and then he goes to work by breaking this guy down.
                  I wish I could give you green k for that comment..we was writing same throughs at the same time...

Comment

it would suprise me if we see a 2nd round in this fight...maybe due to ring rust though or maybe Gamboa wants to play a little but if he fights as usual i cant imagine this going to the 2nd round...

Comment

Originally posted by WesleySnipes View Post
                      it would suprise me if we see a 2nd round in this fight...maybe due to ring rust though or maybe Gamboa wants to play a little but if he fights as usual i cant imagine this going to the 2nd round...
                      In most of his fight he don't threw many punches in the first round..he mostly go crazy in the second...

Comment

Working...
                      X