No announcement yet.

Is Vitali Klitschko an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    When people discuss ATG with the Klitschkos, I assume they mean as far as heavyweights. If we're talking P4P, then this answer to this question is a HHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL no.
    That's what I thought it was. I wouldn't even put Vitali inside the Top 20 at HW, based on his resume. H2H, for sure.

I'd put Wlad inside the Top 20 at HW, but I'd have someone like Floyd Patterson higher based on resume. And I wouldn't even consider Floyd Patterson a P4P ATG, and his resume is better than either Klitschko.

Comment

His 6 rounds against Lewis, plus the longevity and consistency say yes for me. His performance against Lewis was not a fluke, he was putting together good rounds, this shows me that he was in the top bracket, in my opinion Lewis was starting to take over, but that is besides the point, and we just don't know what would have happened. What we do know is he had a hell of a 6 rounds against one of the best ever. In many ways Vitali has proved to me much more than Wlad, who may have a better resume, but let's face it, that is just the way the pieces fell together. A fit and healthy Vitali would have dominated all those guys on Wlads resume the same way, in fact in some cases probably with more ease.

The only time either brother had a chance to prove themselves to be truly great was Vitali against Lewis, and in my opinion he showed he belonged. I would have both brothers as ATG's but I have my doubts about Wladmirs ability to beat a truly great heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
        H2H, both Klitschko's are Top 10. But I didn't realize H2H was what we based ATG on.

If that's the case, Joe Louis isn't an ATG and Floyd Mayweather is without question in the Top 10. Of course that's not true, as Joe Louis is in the Top 5/10 all-time and Floyd is around the Top 30 or so, not close to the Top 10.
        Given Vitali's size and reach, and that he was rarely down on the scorecards I can see why you might pick him against an ATG hwt. But the fact he hasn't fought anyone great mitigates that IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          Absolutely, positively, hell ****ing no. And nobody who thinks so has a good reason for believing that because one doesn't exist.
          I second this emotion.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            His 6 rounds against Lewis, plus the longevity and consistency say yes for me. His performance against Lewis was not a fluke, he was putting together good rounds, this shows me that he was in the top bracket, in my opinion Lewis was starting to take over, but that is besides the point, and we just don't know what would have happened. What we do know is he had a hell of a 6 rounds against one of the best ever. In many ways Vitali has proved to me much more than Wlad, who may have a better resume, but let's face it, that is just the way the pieces fell together. A fit and healthy Vitali would have dominated all those guys on Wlads resume the same way, in fact in some cases probably with more ease.

The only time either brother had a chance to prove themselves to be truly great was Vitali against Lewis, and in my opinion he showed he belonged. I would have both brothers as ATG's but I have my doubts about Wladmirs ability to beat a truly great heavyweight.
            Dude if thats the case then Oliver MCCall and Hasim Rachman must be ATG because they KTFO Lennox.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
              Dude if thats the case then Oliver MCCall and Hasim Rachman must be ATG because they KTFO Lennox.
              And Lewis was past it, and out of shape in that fight. And still managed to win 2-3 rounds against Vitali.

I swear, Vitali fans act like he got the W's over Lewis and Byrd.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                And Lewis was past it, and out of shape in that fight. And still managed to win 2-3 rounds against Vitali.

I swear, Vitali fans act like he got the W's over Lewis and Byrd.
                And was probably on the verge of stopping Vitali...oh wait, he did. Vitali spent the sixth round eating punches and holding on for dear life. Plus his face was getting rearranged. The ref saved his life. A KO would've been merciful.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                  His 6 rounds against Lewis, plus the longevity and consistency say yes for me. His performance against Lewis was not a fluke, he was putting together good rounds, this shows me that he was in the top bracket, in my opinion Lewis was starting to take over, but that is besides the point, and we just don't know what would have happened. What we do know is he had a hell of a 6 rounds against one of the best ever.
                  Giving a tough fight to an old, overweight, half-retired Lennox Lewis is a pretty interesting criteria to grant an ALL-TIME ranking based upon.

Surely you then would have to rate Ray Mercer & Frank Bruno ABOVE Vitali, seeing as though they were able to give an even tougher fight to a PRIME version of Lennox Lewis?

Comment

Yes he is, at Disney and other fairytail amuzment parks!!!!
                    He has a tremendous jab, thrown with great accurance...No!
                    His combinations are fast and powerfull.........No!
                    Foot speed is blindingly quick...............No!
                    Inside fighting equals his outside work....No!
                    Travels the world displaying his skills.......No!

I can go on an on and continue to write No!! He's average at best in a below average era!! Its not his fault but when this happened to Joe Louis after fighting Bradock he took on all comers and fought often. Vitali ..........No!
                    Ray.

Comment

Based only on resume - no, but taking everything into account (the numbers of records he broke, the way he fought, the fact he lost only on injuries) all of that leaves no doubt his place is among ATGs.

So YES for me!

Comment

Working...
                      X