Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprise, surprise, Donaire continues to duck Rigo. .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by New England View Post
    how much money is he really making in indonesia? i'd be interested to know how the finances of boxing work over there. is he getting big TV money? live gates? sponsorships, etc? is it really so much that they don't need american interest? and more appropriately, is it really so great that they make more over there?

he solicited the services and paychecks of american TV twice before (juarez fights, maybe i'm forgetting others as well.)

i'd guess that his people play it safe over there intentionally. i dont think for a second that an undefeated fighter with almost 50 fights is scared of anybody. john would fight over here. he already has. instead i think his people protect him over there, chugging away at decent money for almost zero risk, much the way felix sturm's career went.

if you've got a product that is the real deal you put him in the deep end and see if he can swim. you also entertain the offers that might come from america.
    Hard to say. He is a star in one of the most populous countries on earth so I'd imagine he does pretty well for himself and his earnings probably stretch. It's a mentality thing. Coming to fight Juarez in the U.S. might have crossed off a to-do list item but coming here more often, economically, wasn't going to do much for him. His style isn't going to hit huge here and he has no natural fan base waiting to see his crafty counters.

He doesn't travel for the same reason U.S. fighters aren't likely to go to him (even if, combining HBO money with his gates, you probably make a bigger pot). The Sturm comparison is apt (though I'd say Sturm fights better guys). If he were in a more accomplished class, I'd say no way he even has a CASE near or at the top. Featherweight is pretty drab right now. Where it's not, some guys have better recent wins but nothing particularly deep in terms of ledger. Give it a year though; it's coming back around.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoggyLungs
      that past his prime and worn out warrior is better/more credible comp than rigo's last two opponents...lol ramos got lucky shot in against shimoda (even during the fight the commentators were mentioning how ramos was scared to get hit), cordoba was a nice win, although rigo didn't look spectacular in that fight and marroquin is a ****ing prospect ...

mathebula has been ranked in the top ten since like 2010, was the 5th best sbw when donaire fought him, he was the IBF world champ after beatng ndlovu, and NO ONE has looked good against mathebula. people argue that he beat caballero (who was ranked #1 at the time at sbw), he gave ndlovu a tough fight and beat him in the rematch. Wilfredo vazquez jr was a former wbo champ when donaire beat him and he was ranked in the top ten. and nishioka is by far the most experienced fighter at 122 (championship level) than mares, rigo and donaire...and has been rightfully ranked #1 by ring magazine since 2010.

mares beat an old morel who wasn't even ranked in the top ten of the division for nishioka's wbc belt and it was at a catchweight (which is pretty much how pac won his fake 8th world title in an 8th division)..and he's fighting moreno who is the best at 118. so what was the point of mares moving up to 122? lmao...
      I'll put my money on Marroquin and Cordova if they fight Vazquez/Mathebula/Nishioka, out of those three Mathebula is the one that could be the better of the bunch, Vazquez ain't $h1t and never was, he rode his father name and still is, Nishioka is an old warrior whos last real win was against a young Gonzalez, a least Cordova was a real Champ that has fought a lots of good fighters and Marrioquin is a very good prospect with power and boxing skills... IMO

Comment

• Originally posted by garfios View Post
        I'll put my money on Marroquin and Cordova if they fight Vazquez/Mathebula/Nishioka, out of those three Mathebula is the one that could be the better of the bunch, Vazquez ain't $h1t and never was, he rode his father name and still is, Nishioka is an old warrior whos last real win was against a young Gonzalez, a least Cordova was a real Champ that has fought a lots of good fighters and Marrioquin is a very good prospect with power and boxing skills... IMO
        Cordoba isn't as good as Nishioka but was a good fighter. What do you mean real champ though? He won an interim belt and lost it immediately to the exciting but VERY limited Bernard Dunne (great fight though). He fought some good guys, but he beat very few outside Caballero and that was years before Rigo beat him.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
          how much money is he really making in indonesia? i'd be interested to know how the finances of boxing work over there. is he getting big TV money? live gates? sponsorships, etc? is it really so much that they don't need american interest? and more appropriately, is it really so great that they make more over there?

he solicited the services and paychecks of american TV twice before (juarez fights, maybe i'm forgetting others as well.)

i'd guess that his people play it safe over there intentionally. i dont think for a second that an undefeated fighter with almost 50 fights is scared of anybody. john would fight over here. he already has. instead i think his people protect him over there, chugging away at decent money for almost zero risk, much the way felix sturm's career went.

if you've got a product that is the real deal you put him in the deep end and see if he can swim. you also entertain the offers that might come from america.
          Brilliant post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            Worn down Marquez + Gonzalez >>>> anybody Donaire, Mares or Rigo beat at 122 and that's why Nishi was #1. That's how it works, rankings are based on resumes not who would beat who. You can say that Nishi was a weak #1 but you can't deny that he was #1.

No I don't think Nishi is better than Rigo but I don't think Cotto is better than Canelo either, I guess I should rank Cotto below him? I should also rank Broner above Demarco since I think he's gonna win. No need to fight the fights anymore, let's do rankings based on who you think is better.
            Originally posted by davis828 View Post
            Because more important than when is whom, right?

..........? So what you're telling me is that it's better to beat a fighter who is accomplished against other fighters who were shells of what they once were, that happen to be past it themselves years after, than fighting champions in their prime that are available to fight today?

Light. I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you hug this particular fighter and that's where your reasoning is coming from because if this is your unbiased stance... I wouldn't have expected that from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by davis828 View Post
              ..........? So what you're telling me is that it's better to beat a fighter who is accomplished against other fighters who were shells of what they once were, that happen to be past it themselves years after, than fighting champions in their prime that are available to fight today?

Light. I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you hug this particular fighter and that's where your reasoning is coming from because if this is your unbiased stance... I wouldn't have expected that from you.
              Yes if those prime champions haven't beaten anybody of note. Being a prime champion doesn't mean **** if you don't have any good fighter on your resume. Fading worldclass fighter > unproven prime fighter.

Comment

• At this point a Donair/Rigo fight might become a Bradley/Alexander match.

Rigo wants it but he needs more high profile wins, or at least a very good one.

Rigo has talent but Donaire is at a different level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                  Yes if those prime champions haven't beaten anybody of note. Being a prime champion doesn't mean **** if you don't have any good fighter on your resume. Fading worldclass fighter > unproven prime fighter.
                  So by your logic... Sugar Ray Leonard should never have fought Tommy Hearns or Roberto Duran.

Floyd never should have fought Castillo, or Corrales.

Cotto should have never fought Judah, or Margarito.

Oscar should have never fought Trinidad.

Trinidad should have never fought Vargas.

Roy Jones should have never fought Hopkins.

Hopkins should never have fought Taylor.

Whitaker should have never fought Chavez.

Chavez should have never fought Taylor.

Dweight Muhammad Qawi should have never fought Holyfield.

You sir... are an idiot, and I say that with all due respect. You are really reaching on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                    So by your logic... Sugar Ray Leonard should never have fought Tommy Hearns or Roberto Duran.
                    Hearns had a victory over long time reigning champ Cuevas and Duran had already cemented his legacy as the greatest lightweight of all time.

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                    Floyd never should have fought Castillo, or Corrales.
                    Both of these guys were considered #1 in their weightclass when Floyd fought them.

Cotto should have never fought Judah, or Margarito.
                    Zab was a former undisputed champ. Cotto actually didn't have to fight Marg since he lost to Williams.

Oscar should have never fought Trinidad.
                    Tito had good fighters on his resume like Camacho, Campas and Carr.

Trinidad should have never fought Vargas.
                    Vargas had victories over Quartey and Winky.

Roy Jones should have never fought Hopkins.
                    It was Roy's first title shot for a vacant strap, he couldn't choose his opponent.

Whitaker should have never fought Chavez.
                    Chavez was unproven when Whitaker fought him?

Chavez should have never fought Taylor.
                    Taylor won his title agains McGirt who was a good fighter.

You sir, do not know a damn thing about boxing. Not a damn thing. Ask the mods to delete your account and find yourself an easier sport to follow and understand like darts or something.

Comment

• Damn over 340 posts! And they said Broner was talked about here lmao

Comment

Working...
                      X