No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nishioka Ready: I am The Best in This Weight Class

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
    i'm not comparing nishioka to jmm, hopkins and martinez in terms of greatness or accomplishments. i was giving examples of fighters who have showed that age doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of determining whether a fighter is truly over the hill or not. nishioka is 36, but that doesn't mean he is shot to ****. he might be past his prime but he isn't shot.

also i'm not overblowing his win against marquez. what i'm trying to point out is that he hardly struggled against marquez. marquez won like 3 rounds at best and was getting pummeled in the later rounds. just because he didn't get the KO don't mean too much. nishioka still showed good speed, good movement, defense, timing, etc. against marquez.
    Fair enough.

IMO, Rafa Marquez is a few punches away from going totally blind. I would have thought Nishi would blow right through him but because he didnt I have to question how much he himself has in the tank.

Also, Nishi is one of the most inactive guys in the sport. Hard to make the "age aint nothing but a number" argument with how inactive he stays. Since his last loss he has averaged about 2 fights per year. In 2012 he has 0 fights and the year is almost about to end. This is his biggest inactive period in his career in the biggest fight of his career. The odds are certainly not looking too good. I hope its a good fight - I hope all fights are good fights - but this IMO is lipstick on a pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Elotero View Post
      Fair enough.

IMO, Rafa Marquez is a few punches away from going totally blind. I would have thought Nishi would blow right through him but because he didnt I have to question how much he himself has in the tank.

Also, Nishi is one of the most inactive guys in the sport. Hard to make the "age aint nothing but a number" argument with how inactive he stays. Since his last loss he has averaged about 2 fights per year. In 2012 he has 0 fights and the year is almost about to end. This is his biggest inactive period in his career in the biggest fight of his career. The odds are certainly not looking too good. I hope its a good fight - I hope all fights are good fights - but this IMO is lipstick on a pig.
      I've never seen him out of shape though. He's a tough guy.
      Love how he wrecked Jhonny Gonzales. He put in on Rendall Munroe pretty well too.
      He has a history of being good and he's always in shape.

He's a viable guy and deserving of some praise.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
        I've never seen him out of shape though. He's a tough guy.
        Love how he wrecked Jhonny Gonzales. He put in on Rendall Munroe pretty well too.
        He has a history of being good and he's always in shape.

He's a viable guy and deserving of some praise.
        A viable guy deserving of some praise is not equal to best in the division though.

This is my issue.

Lots of folks wanting to use this as a springboard for Nonito instead of calling it like it is - same stakes as the last fight. Last opponent (mathebula) was also a viable guy worthy of some praise. If we want to treat Nonito like a P4P guy, no more softballs. Fight someone who is also a star and lay off the viable guys who are deserving of some praise.

Comment

A viable guy deserving of some praise is not equal to best in the division though.

This is my issue.

Lots of folks wanting to use this as a springboard for Nonito instead of calling it like it is - same stakes as the last fight. Last opponent (mathebula) was also a viable guy worthy of some praise. If we want to treat Nonito like a P4P guy, no more softballs. Fight someone who is also a star and lay off the viable guys who are deserving of some praise.
          It's a really good fight. I don't know why you don't think it is.

Nishioka is proven and has been for a long time. Better than Mathebula for sure.

He's not a softball for anyone.

It doesn't mean he's the best, he's near it though.

Comment

This is my issue.

Couldn said better myself...

Comment

Nishioka is a great fighter, top 3 in 122 lb. I'm not a very pasionated Donaire's fan, atleast in his supergallo run, but you can't say this fight is not one of the best in the whole sport.

Comment

Sometimes people just try to discredit instead of seeing what is right in front of them >.>

Comment

This is my issue.

No, Nishioka is much more proven than Mathebula. he is the best (or next best) guy in the class. The only guy he couldn't beat in the last ten years or so is a borderline HOF worthy type in Sahaprom. This is by far the best fight Donaire could have taken at 122 right now as far as proven foes in the class go.

If you think Nishioka is a softball because he isn't a 'star' (and the only other guy close to stardom in the class right now is Mares), that's just not seeing the obvious.

Comment

Working...
                  X