Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd and Roy were the same size how do you see a fight going in their primes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't utterly dominate someone who was giving you problems in the first four rounds was it a close fight with Judah no but he didn't dominate him either you make it sound like it was the Marquez or gatti fight

Now Mosley he dominated.

Comment

Roy would beat Floyd....maybe not beat him up...but he'd win the tactical war imo....Floyd is the ULTIMATE boxer...Roy is awkward as hell....no way Floyd cracks the code on Roy's offense and stamps him with counters....combination punching is the remedy for a counter puncher....Roy in his prime ran off numbers like no other....Floyd would not be able to sit in the pocket and pull counter or shoulder roll his way to victory..not in THIS one imo....Roy has the speed, athletic ability, smarts and power to keep Floyd on his heels on night long imo....also that jab of Roy's was a monster...Floyd has no win in this match up imo

Comment

I know everyone says this, but... All Roy had to do was land... And he would have

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Hmmmm...

I meanNeither guy has faced anyone that resembled the other. Ice Griffin gave Jones problems early in the first fight by mixing it up, putting pressure on him and countering him, but Roy was unusually hesitant in that fight. He was throwing lazy jabs and trying to be patient.

But I think Roy is just faster and more powerful P4P than Floyd. Floyd is a gifted athlete himself and is skilled enough to maybe keep Roy off balance and avoid those traps. But I just think Roy's speed and power would be the difference.

But here's an interesting quote from Montell "Ice" Griffin who gave prime Roy his toughest fight and also sparred with Floyd:

I trained in Big Bear, California. We had a house out there. I had some good sparring and everything went good in that whole camp. I'm one of those guys that's deceptively fast and quick, so I knew...I'm not saying I'm faster than him [Roy Jones Jr.], but I knew I could match speed with him because of my timing. What we were working on in the gym is we had guys that were fast and threw a lot of punches, but what you want to do is punch when they finish punching. That's what I worked on all during camp. Thell Torrence was my trainer and he had my sparring partners come at me with the pads, or whatever, throwing fast and I would block all of their shots and as soon as they would finish punching, I would start punching. At the time, we knew Roy didn't like pressure, so we wanted to bring it right back to him. He wanted to fight when he wanted to fight, and you want to fight when he don't want to fight, so we worked on putting pressure on him and just counter-punching him and the main thing was just keep my hands up. There ain't no question he is the fastest man I have ever been in the ring with in my life. I sparred Floyd Mayweather when he was fighting at 140 pounds and he was no comparison as far as speed. Roy was that much faster than him.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content9018.html

And keep in mind Griffin HATES Roy so him giving him props says a lot.
          Thanks for that. It's perfect for this thread. I remember the prime Jones as being faster than Floyd and here is the proof if you believe Griffin, and I do. Speed and power are the reasons I think Roy would win. Roy's chin seemed good in his prime. I can't remember him being hurt or knocked down in his prime. When Tarver KOed him it seemed to ruin his chin.

Comment

I think Roy would be too hard to figure out, and after a surprisingly one sided first 4 or 5 rounds they would fight even the rest of the way, with Roy winning a decision in a hell of a chess match.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
              Floyd wins. Roy is faster p4p, he has that and better reflexes but floyd is fast enough p4p to hit him when roy doesnt have any defense and fights with his hands low. Floyd is miles better on the inside and on the ropes. Floyd is more well rounded and the level of competition was better in his divisions. Roy was more athletic but his style is not the type that bothers floyd. A great jab and good defense bother floyd. A good inside game and getting him on the ropes bother Roy as both hopkins and tarver had success with. Roy is more gifted athletically but style wise floyd has the advantage.
              None of that is true except maybe the well rounded part. Roy murdered James Toney inside, he was brilliant off the ropes, and he has better wins over better fighters than Floyd.

Comment

Roy is clearly the more talented fighter and would defeat Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  Thanks for that. It's perfect for this thread. I remember the prime Jones as being faster than Floyd and here is the proof if you believe Griffin, and I do. Speed and power are the reasons I think Roy would win. Roy's chin seemed good in his prime. I can't remember him being hurt or knocked down in his prime. When Tarver KOed him it seemed to ruin his chin.
                  He got dropped by Lou Del Valle.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                    Roy is faster by quite a bit in hands, foot and reflexes.. hits much harder too and is a great boxer to boot.

If Judah and Mosley can give Floyd trouble and scary moments (two fastest fighters he ever faced, with decent pop). I like Roy to go one better.
                    When you think about it Mosley had problems pulling the trigger and still had two moments.

Imagine what prime Roy would, imagine the combinations from a southpaw stance.

Mayweather would get stopped if he din't go into full survival mode.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                      Yer I believe Roys chin was pretty good at any weight below 175.

Comment

Working...
                      X