Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd and Roy were the same size how do you see a fight going in their primes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it happens at 154 lbs, the same weight roy jones won silver in the 1988 summer olympics (should have been gold), roy jones would eat through mayweather. he had superior counter punching abilities and an even better left hook. mayweather will just prolong his defeat with his shoulder roll defense, roy jones will push mayweather around the entire fight being the naturally bigger man. roy jones will have slightly more speed, power and better foot work compared to mayweather who is more defensive minded and not known to throw consistent combinations.

Comment

Prime Roy was fast like a cat...to much for Floyd.
      Last edited by jaded; 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Defututus View Post
        i knew you'd say that, anyway, point stands, he's not getting anything leading vs roy, and he's not getting any counters off the shoulder roll neither
        Dont compare James Toney bumazz shoulder roll to Floyd's. Floyd's skills, versitility, instincts where amazing. James was never an expert with that shoulder roll. He was GOOD, But Floyd took it and reinvented it. ANYTIME Someone gives me the idea that they are basing it off that Toney fight, lets me know that they dont know boxing. And you? You dont know boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr LarryX View Post
          I said prime Floyd man,that aint prime Floyd
          When he fought Judah he wasn't prime?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
            Roy eats his ass up just like he ate up a prime James Toney.
            QUIT COMPARING Jame's Bum ass, predictable, right-hand on the way, shouder roll, to Floyd's. Floyd re invented the shoulder roll. Its hard to say who wins, but dont base it off that fight, James is NOT Mayweather. He is slow, and predictable and let it be obvious that he was coming back with that right hand. If You predict it once with Floyd, he will feint you and act like he's doing it again, then do something completely different. People forget Floyd can fight a tactcical fight, break him down, take away his punches, adjust, figure out his favorite punches to attack Floyd with, figure out a way to defend against them. And again, Im NOT predicting, Im just saying GET JAMES Bum ASS SLOW TONEY out of your head. Floyd is WAAY faster too.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
              Hmmmm...

I meanNeither guy has faced anyone that resembled the other. Ice Griffin gave Jones problems early in the first fight by mixing it up, putting pressure on him and countering him, but Roy was unusually hesitant in that fight. He was throwing lazy jabs and trying to be patient.

But I think Roy is just faster and more powerful P4P than Floyd. Floyd is a gifted athlete himself and is skilled enough to maybe keep Roy off balance and avoid those traps. But I just think Roy's speed and power would be the difference.

But here's an interesting quote from Montell "Ice" Griffin who gave prime Roy his toughest fight and also sparred with Floyd:

I trained in Big Bear, California. We had a house out there. I had some good sparring and everything went good in that whole camp. I'm one of those guys that's deceptively fast and quick, so I knew...I'm not saying I'm faster than him [Roy Jones Jr.], but I knew I could match speed with him because of my timing. What we were working on in the gym is we had guys that were fast and threw a lot of punches, but what you want to do is punch when they finish punching. That's what I worked on all during camp. Thell Torrence was my trainer and he had my sparring partners come at me with the pads, or whatever, throwing fast and I would block all of their shots and as soon as they would finish punching, I would start punching. At the time, we knew Roy didn't like pressure, so we wanted to bring it right back to him. He wanted to fight when he wanted to fight, and you want to fight when he don't want to fight, so we worked on putting pressure on him and just counter-punching him and the main thing was just keep my hands up. There ain't no question he is the fastest man I have ever been in the ring with in my life. I sparred Floyd Mayweather when he was fighting at 140 pounds and he was no comparison as far as speed. Roy was that much faster than him.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content9018.html

And keep in mind Griffin HATES Roy so him giving him props says a lot.
              He says Roy was faster, but speed dont win fights, skills do. I dont care who's faster myself. I just know Floyd's defense is the difference. So his gameplan is to fight a defensive fight, and capitalize on the mistakes Roy makes, since his defense isnt as great. Whatever the difference is between the fighters, may make the difference. And again, Im not predicting who would win. Tough call.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                Prime James Toney doesn't resemble Floyd?
                Nothing Like Mayweather. Mayweather is a bruce lee, water-like machine. James just had a basic shoulder roll. Shiet, I HAVE a basic shoulder roll. James Toney is NOT, and NEVER WILL Be a Mayweather. If he was, then he would have dominated 16 yrs straight without an L. And he would have beaten Jones. He took a few "L"'s as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                  No reason to.

Floyd: I'm not thinking about boxing right now. RETIRES
                  So ummm who wins?? Come on troll, you can do it. You can break the fight down.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
                    if it happens at 154 lbs, the same weight roy jones won silver in the 1988 summer olympics (should have been gold), roy jones would eat through mayweather. he had superior counter punching abilities and an even better left hook. mayweather will just prolong his defeat with his shoulder roll defense, roy jones will push mayweather around the entire fight being the naturally bigger man. roy jones will have slightly more speed, power and better foot work compared to mayweather who is more defensive minded and not known to throw consistent combinations.
                    Not superior counterpunching, come on now. I almost agree with just about everything else, but not the counterpunching. Roy and "Greatest Counterpuncher Ever" has never been mentioned in the same sentence. Floyd was FAMOUS for his counterpunching, and HAS been mentioned in the same sentence.

Comment

Roy Jones Jr

Comment

Working...
                      X