No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Martinez-Golovkin, Ward-Pavlik, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    Dibella went on the same hostile profanity rant when people wanted Martinez to fight Pirog. Funny how they had no problem fighting unknowns who brought nothing to the table like jmw Dzinziruk who had fought once in the prior three years or Barker who wasn't even a top 10 MW.

Martinez the Middleweight "Champion" who hasn't fought a top 3 Middleweight his entire reign. Duck, duck, duck
    Paul Williams, Mathew Macklin, and Chavez Jr were all ranked top 3 in ring magazine when Martinez fought them. The other top 2? Sturm and Geale. Both turned down fights with Martinez.

Dzinziruk bought something to the table because it was the only opponent HBO would approve at the time due to the Gary Shaw deal. And there's the whole Pirog ban until the regime change. Golovkin couldn't even fight in the US until this year.

Martinez did not have the leverage that he has now to get big fights. Calling duck right now is stupid. If the Chavez, Canelo, Cotto, or Mayweather fights don't go through, then we'll see.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 09-28-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
      I may be wrong but is DiBella a fouled mouth a$$ wipe? And is the article really trying to say that Cotto's win of Yuri Foreman was in someway unexpected?
      I noticed that too. Dumb.

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
      Both Macklin and Chavez were top 3 in the Ring and ESPN ratings.

Dzinziruk bought something to the table because it was the only opponent HBO would approve at the time due to the Gary Shaw deal. And there's the whole Pirog ban until the regime change. Golovkin couldn't even fight in the US until this year.

Martinez did not have the leverage that he has now to get big fights. Calling duck right now is stupid. If the Chavez, Canelo, Cotto, or Mayweather fights don't go through, then we'll see.
      This^^^.

Comment

WOW you fans are two faced babies. I been reading what you guys are saying and frankly you guys are p_ss_s! Some of you saying Roach of not a top trainer, come on. His fighters have lost but they all lose if they fight enough. (Pacquiao was robbed!).
        Now you guys are mad at Lou for wanting Martinez to have big paydays but you guys keep giving Mayweather a pass over and over. Mayweather doesn't fight the top fighters he fights the best known fighters. What a double standard, don't you think? Martinez has challanged Mayweather and he keeps saying, "NO". You guys want Martinez to fight Pirog? Who the phuck is he? He beat Danny Jacobs for God's sake

Comment

Originally posted by Deltoro_10 View Post
          Yes thank you for that post. I was really dissapointed with dibellas rant, so hes basically doing the same thing to the pirogs and golovkins that cotto is doing to martinez by stating that hes fought no one or wont generate the right amount of numbers. I like martinez and all but if team martinez keep their same agenda, im kinda hoping that canelo cotto or floyd never give martinez a shot
          That's just plain hating!

Comment

What's hilarious about Mikhnienko screaming duck is is that he was claiming Martinez was ducking Dzinziruk right before he fought him! Now apparently Dzizniruk was just an inactive cherry pick.

Comment

"Holyfield, Mosley, and Cotto didn't have the problems with alcohol..."

Right, but Tyson did. Had it been pre-Don King/divorcee Mike, he murders Holyfield inside of 4. That was post-prison Mike, who had been away for 4.5 years, then only had 11 rounds of activity against tomato cans before stepping in with a seasoned vet named Holyfield who was fighting championship bouts that entire time.

If we can give Ali a pass for dropping to Frazier after 4 years of inactivity, followed by 20 + rounds against world class competition - by saying it's because of the layoff, Tyson can get a pass too.

Holyfield didn't pull off a miracle, he just did what Douglas did: caught him when he wasn't all-in.

Kelly Pavlik needs to stop drinking if he ever wants to become anything before it's too late. He had a lot of promise and lost it as soon as he became relevant. Tyson at least became a HOF worthy champ before throwing it all away.

Comment

The shameless hypocrisy of Lou DiBella and Sergio Martinez..

Pump posted an article and DiBella comments kind of got over shadowed:

When asked about GGG:

Who would give a flying f**k, and why are you even asking?" DiBella said. "Who knows Gennady Golovkin other than you, me and a few other people? How many people would he bring to the table? How much money would he generate? He is the last guy ... He is a very good fighter, but it's a fight that economically makes no sense."

Can't Cotto and Mayweathers camp say the SAME exact thing. How much money does Martinez bring to the table? Who knows him? Its a fight that economically makes no sense and so on and so on.

"But he didn't beat anyone in his last fight and this is Sergio's time to make a lot of money. ... We're not going to fight fights that do not generate any income."

Who did Martinez beat in his last fight? Thats right NSBs residential punch line and punching bag, Chavez Junior.
                "I think it is the accumulative achievements which in the end will allow a fighter like Golovkin to have earned a fight against Sergio Martinez.

Really Lou? Interesting. Lets look at Martinez's resume his best win is still the Paul Williams win and that was in Nov of 2011. Since then hes beat Pavlik, Dzinziruk, Barker, Macklin and Chavez Junior? Thats no gauntlet to say the least. And NONE of those guys brought a dollar to the table except Junior who was the headliner of the card.
                "Sergio Martinez had to do many smaller fights before getting a big pay-per-view fight against Chavez. These guys underneath him in the rankings, they're going to have to earn the right to fight him. Sergio Martinez has certainly earned, with his terrific performances over the past couple of years, the right to pick who he wants to fight. Gennady Golovkin is several fights away from such a fight."

Yeah Chavez brings money but since when Junior some gate keeper to bigger and better things? Hes not. Its not like Junior was some well established fighter with a great resume who built up a fan base. Hes a popular name nothing more. So if Martinez has earned the right to pick who he wants to fight hasnt Mayweather and Cotto? Who have accomplished much more than Sergio. And how can Lou say that Gennady is SEVERAL fights away from such a fight? Thats BS. Several Lou? Cmon.
                In closing I want to see Martinez vs. Mayweather/Cotto at 154 and I hope they get done but I dont want to hear Lou DiBella and Martinez crying, kicking, screaming and throwing temper tantrums if they cant get a big fight. Because it will be for the VERY same reasons Martinez and Lou dont want to fight GGG. No matter how we sugar coat it. Martinez is not a star and he doesnt have big fan base. Period.

If he cant get Cotto or Mayweather in the ring then he had better fight GGG or Pirog. 2 heavy handed guys in his weight class that he wants nothing to do with it seems. GGG was one of the hottest names in boxing after his fight and DiBella and Martinez act like he doesnt matter at all. Thats BS.

It will be interesting to see who Martinez next opponent is especially if he cant get the 147/154 guys in the ring. Will he fight GGG or Pirog? Or try to rematch Chavez for easy money.

So at the end of the day I want to see the Mayweather/Cotto vs. Martinez scrap but if they dont go down dont start yelling duck especially considering how they feel about GGG. And on top of that hed look like a real coward for calling out smaller guys like Floyd and Cotto only to run into the arms of Chavez Jr when Pirog and GGG are sitting there.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&o...#ixzz27lk8tAg5

Comment

GGG or Pirog at '60.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
                    Pump posted an article and DiBella comments kind of got over shadowed:

When asked about GGG:

Who would give a flying f**k, and why are you even asking?" DiBella said. "Who knows Gennady Golovkin other than you, me and a few other people? How many people would he bring to the table? How much money would he generate? He is the last guy ... He is a very good fighter, but it's a fight that economically makes no sense."

"But he didn't beat anyone in his last fight and this is Sergio's time to make a lot of money. ... We're not going to fight fights that do not generate any income."

"I think it is the accumulative achievements which in the end will allow a fighter like Golovkin to have earned a fight against Sergio Martinez.

"Sergio Martinez had to do many smaller fights before getting a big pay-per-view fight against Chavez. These guys underneath him in the rankings, they're going to have to earn the right to fight him. Sergio Martinez has certainly earned, with his terrific performances over the past couple of years, the right to pick who he wants to fight. Gennady Golovkin is several fights away from such a fight."

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&o...#ixzz27lk8tAg5

I tinks ya needs to realize dat dis Martinez is da man, he beat Williams and he beat Chavez jr. Dis guy moved up 2 weight classes and earned his way to where he has gotten. Dis 3G guy betta get used to da idea of earning his way too. Martinez is da rightful p4p #1, not guys wit exaggerated careers like dat Ward fella.

Comment

Yup, Martinez is a hypocrite, so am I. But you & Floyd are not.

Comment

Working...
                      X