No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rigondeaux Decisions Game Marroquin Over Twelve

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    From the looks of it, Marroquin is a respectable puncher. But a guy like Donaire can crack. Rigo's chin was brought into question early on with the Cordoba fight. Now he was wobbled a couple of times by a kid he apparently otherwise owned. Guillermo's style relies heavily on counterpunching and defense. It doesn't bode well if he keeps getting caught by guys who aren't exactly elite.

I can't fail to mention that this is only Rigo's eleventh pro fight. Maybe fans like myself are rushing to see him versus Nonito. Not only would I like to see Guillermo ready to win, but I'd like to see him look good in doing so. I'm more curious than ever to see what Rigondeaux looks like next.
    First off, you are the most unbiased Cuban boxing fan I see on these forums which I commend you for. Unlike most Cuban and Filipino fans who only hang off there countryman's nuts and try to belittle the opposite fighter any chance they get.

Rigo, hands down won EVERY single round. Dropped the kid twice. What more do people want? He gets rocked twice by a guy who looks like he's 2 divisions bigger then Rigo and also has basically double the amount of fights Guillermo has as a pro.

The only argument I have is yes, Rigo isn't the most exciting fighter but he will make ANYONE at '22 and '26 look bad.

Comment

Admittedly Rigo didn't impressed me too much because he went to the distance, along being rocked twice.

Comment

Originally posted by MTN View Post
        First off, you are the most unbiased Cuban boxing fan I see on these forums which I commend you for. Unlike most Cuban and Filipino fans who only hang off there countryman's nuts and try to belittle the opposite fighter any chance they get.

Rigo, hands down won EVERY single round. Dropped the kid twice. What more do people want? He gets rocked twice by a guy who looks like he's 2 divisions bigger then Rigo and also has basically double the amount of fights Guillermo has as a pro.

The only argument I have is yes, Rigo isn't the most exciting fighter but he will make ANYONE at '22 and '26 look bad.
        Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the input.

As I've already said, part of my concern is that Rigo not only win but look good doing it. I'll support him as long as he behaves like a professional, but I'll lose interest in his fights if he doesn't pick up the excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by MTN View Post

Thank you. Good to see some comments from real boxing fans as opposed to fanboys for a change.

Comment

Rigondeaux needs to get hit more often so that he develops his punch resistance. He seems to be shocked every-time he gets hit flush. The two times he got "rocked" were times when he got lazy. The first time, he was shoe-shining punches and got caught with a punch he didn't see. The second time, he got caught while shuffling his feet. I think Rigo just got bored and complacent in there, and Marroquin was able to capitalize on those moments.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
              Rigondeaux needs to get hit more often so that he develops his punch resistance. He seems to be shocked every-time he gets hit flush. The two times he got "rocked" were times when he got lazy. The first time, he was shoe-shining punches and got caught with a punch he didn't see. The second time, he got caught while shuffling his feet. I think Rigo just got bored and complacent in there, and Marroquin was able to capitalize on those moments.
              You're probably right. I have no doubt Rigo gets hit very little in sparring. He's always been in the ring with inferior opposition, both in the gym and out. But while this might explain his punch resistance, or lack thereof, it certainly doesn't excuse it. He wants to move up in competition fast. A guy like Donaire will be unforgiving. Beyond that, once again, I say Guillermo needs to fight in active fashion.

Comment

Rigo had a good fight, Marroquin 6 pounds over, looks like a 140lb, throw 342 landing only 54.
                Nonitos' fans now will call for Rigo's belt, he is an "easy night" or not?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  You're probably right. I have no doubt Rigo gets hit very little in sparring. He's always been in the ring with inferior opposition, both in the gym and out. But while this might explain his punch resistance, or lack thereof, it certainly doesn't excuse it. He wants to move up in competition fast. A guy like Donaire will be unforgiving. Beyond that, once again, I say Guillermo needs to fight in active fashion.
                  Not only the inferior opposition, but his defense/footwork is so on-point that it would take him getting complacent for him to get caught. I honestly don't think that what happened tonight against Marroquin, would happen against Nonito. Both guys would bring their best because that's the only way they would be able to win. Regardless of the trash-talking, I'm sure Team Rigo is aware of Donaire's talent, they wouldn't overlook him.

Comment

Rigo stinks out the joint and he isn't a PPV attraction.

Let him develop a little more.

Comment

I haven't seen the fight but it's funny how people have changed their tune

I'm not going to be sold on Rigondeaux until I see him against top competition.

Comment

Working...
                      X