No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya Still Gives Mayweather The Edge on Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
    Catch weights generally favor only one fighter and put the other fighter at a disadvantage. If both parties are fully confident in the poroposal then by all means go for it but generally its proposed and then monetarilly enforced by the fighter with more clout and that all true fans should be against. Never mentioned a catch weight king and wasnt aware that their is one.
    I agree with that to an extent. Big reason i say this is because of ego. If a fighter loses...how many guys are going to admit that they just lost to the better man? Not many. I think the Cotto Pac fight sticks out the most to people today. Not so much back then. From a marketing standpoint, no way Cotto going to say that the guy who everyone wants to see Floyd fight was just the better man that night. It would look bad, and people would say that Cotto had no business in the ring with Floyd. I dont buy any of that peronally, and give full credit for every fighters victories, with some exceptions (Broner recently, Floyd - JMM for example).

Anyways...i always said that a prime DLH would be a great fight with Manny, and be a tough fight for Floyd. DLH was very underrated, and hated by many because he was a "pretty boy" that could fight. he took on all comers, and win lose or draw...we never were guessing and predicting, which is more than i can say about most else since him.

Comment

pac fans are the biggest idiots in the sport.......pac refused the drug test and ultimately priced himself out. he won't take the drug test unless he gets 50/50!!!!! how can a fighter who has never made more than a $7 million guarantee demand 50/50....pac is ducking the fight and more than ever people are realizing this.....that little POS is a damn cancer to boxing. he refuses to take on tough challenges and the easy fights that he does take he gets clowned, schooled or beat i.e. 43 year old shane, 40 year old lw marquez, feather fisted unranked bloated bradley.....etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Popovich View Post
        Honesty you floyd fans can go ahead and give Floyd this fantasy victory alongside a prime Cotto and Shane, Kostya Tszyu, Stevie Johnston, Margarito etc.

I'd rather talk about what fighters have accomplished vs what would have/could have happened if Floyd fought ______ fighter.
        You are just spewing non sense that Floyd naysayers spew over and over again. Floyd wanted to fight all of them guys but it didn't work out like many fights including all the guys at 135, 140 and 147 Manny ducked. Cotto even said he wasn't ready for Mayweather back then and Shane ain't want to fight Floyd either. Floyd left Arum to fight De La Hoya and that's why Margarito didn't happen because Arum didn't want to make the fight. All of this can be proven.

Comment

Originally posted by S IP U IR S xII View Post
          I do if they make sense due to the circumstances at the given time. Besides....having 3 catch weight fights out of almost 60.....far from a catch weight king. Maybe you should blame the ones who accept it no?
          Having a catch weight title fight against Cotto even though you already fought at 147 against Oscar is not right.

Comment

Does any boxer outside of Wildcard give it to Manny?

Comment

Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
              Having a catch weight title fight against Cotto even though you already fought at 147 against Oscar is not right.
              I guess fighting Cotto at 146 even though Cotto has spent most of his career prior at 140 really did a whole lot for Cotto in that fight for Pac. That 1lb was the reason Cotto couldnt take Pacs punches and was simply out gunned..

Funny how no one was crying weight drained pre fight Pre Oscar and Cotto fights...

Dont let me dig in the crates with old school post of you giving Pac NO CHANCE of Pac beating Osacar, Hatton, and Cotto..

Comment

Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
                That was a money fight, and anyone would have jumped on that. No matter what the weight. Heck look how much JMM didnt care about weight to get a huge paycheck against Floyd. Manny went back down to 140 after DLH because he intention was just for that fight. At the time, Pac Cotto at 145 made the most sense for both parties, as Manny was not an established WW yet, and Cotto was young and could still fluctuate.

Comment

Originally posted by trainhard_187 View Post
                  I guess fighting Cotto at 146 even though Cotto has spent most of his career prior at 140 really did a whole lot for Cotto in that fight for Pac. That 1lb was the reason Cotto couldnt take Pacs punches and was simply out gunned..

Funny how no one was crying weight drained pre fight Pre Oscar and Cotto fights...

Dont let me dig in the crates with old school post of you giving Pac NO CHANCE of Pac beating Osacar, Hatton, and Cotto..
                  He fought cotto at 145 not 146.

Comment

Originally posted by trainhard_187 View Post

OOhhh boy! what does that have to do with Pac fighting Oscar at the full limit of 147 but fighting Cotto at 145? Show the post and I'll pull up new ones of me posting how I said Marquez would be a hard fight for Pac the 3rd time and Bradley would win. Why don't you pull up your posts regarding the Marquez/Bradley fights and see how you called it.

Comment

• Originally posted by S IP U IR S xII View Post
                      That was a money fight, and anyone would have jumped on that. No matter what the weight. Heck look how much JMM didnt care about weight to get a huge paycheck against Floyd. Manny went back down to 140 after DLH because he intention was just for that fight. At the time, Pac Cotto at 145 made the most sense for both parties, as Manny was not an established WW yet, and Cotto was young and could still fluctuate.
                      ?????? He kicked De La Hoya's ass at 147. He showed he was comfortable there bottom line. Cotto should have been at 147 too but it wasn't. Catch weights are for opponents who haven't fought comfortable at a specific higher weight yet but Manny beat a bigger Oscar there even though Oscar was drained and faded. Pac STILL looked great at the weight AND even weighed more than Oscar on fight night.

Comment

Working...
                      X