Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can Cuban fighters do to better promote themselves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well cuban fighters are nothing new to the sport, I think they should follow some of their countrymen and leave cuba before they are in their 30's of course... I know it aint that hard to leave cuba. a lot of them go to Mexico then cross over and get papers. as for rivalries its pretty much up to fighters to START one, and since cuban fighters are too few it is kinda hard.
    I think the closest thing to a rivalry ive seen is gamboa and juanma.... but that was more fan based imo

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
      Aw **** here we go again.

I see Donaire fans are still riding that win the same way he's milking it for his P4P status. The guy has 2 notable wins on his resume in 30 fights. While Gamboa in less than 20 was fighting Barros, Solis, Salido and Ponce. All back to back and was on his way to fighting Rios till the contractual issues popped up. Im not even gonna throw Mtagwa who gave Juanma hell cause I think he sux. But when was the last time Donaire fought some good opposition back to back? In 21 fights Gamboa was already P4P listed.

Oh and btw, Gamboa whoops Donaire silly. Or you gonna tell me Donaire beats him the same way he beats Rigo?
      You're a good poster, except when it comes to Donaire. I don't get it, he's not hogging your guys limelight, he's earned his standing. The 4 Gamboa opponents you listed are not even as good as Donaire's standard fare p4p. They'd kill them h2h (I doubt even Donaire gets past Salido, much less Gamboa), but that doesn't count, how would Gamboa do against Donaire at 118?

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        Why do fans of Cuban decent have to be the primary fanbase of a Cuban fighter? This is in response to people saying "There's not enough Cuban Americans to make a Cuban boxing star".

Black boxing fans aren't the one's who made Roy Jones Jr., Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins, Andre Ward, Jermain Taylor, Winky Wright, etc. etc. into stars. They fought their way to the top and attracted fans of all races and ethnicities with their talent and success.
        Americans of all colors could identify with those guys much easier than with the Cubans, that's only normal. If you're not gonna speak english, you'll need a strong ethnic base, whether Mex, PR, Pinoy Power PPV, Adamek in Jersey/Chicago, even Vic was a minor attraction in Glendale. They gotta start in Florida, ideally with Gamboa, unfortunately he'll be doing Vegas mostly.

Comment

Sign with 50 Cent and be friends with Pauly D.

Comment

Originally posted by RICH SPANIARD. View Post
            Sign with 50 Cent and be friends with Pauly D.
            Or get born in Miami

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              In the 50s, Kid Gavilan fought regularly on television. He was a star. So was Kid Chocolate, back in the 30s, before television. They were major draws, despite being black Cubans in notoriously racist eras.
              Back in Gavilan's days, it was possible to be a star because of the exposure.

As for Kid Chocolate, when a guy walking on the street saw his name on a flyer, all he could tell was that he was black. African American fans bought tickets thinking they were watching one of their own, and white racist fans went in wanting to watch a black fighter get beat. Boxers faking accents or ethnicities was frequently done in those days. Cocoa kid didn't even speak English at his press conferences/promotional meetings (despite having been raised in the U.S. and speaking perfect English), because he wanted to appeal to Puerto Rican audiences on the East Coast.

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Roberto Duran was a big star. He didn't need a major Panamanian fan-base that to make him so. Duran marshaled a general Hispanic fan-base, but he was transcendent. Greatness will always rise and be recognized.
              Puerto Rican fans filled up gyms when he trained in New York for Pipino Cuevas, and the Latin American media was all over him before he even fought Leonard. What made him a transcendent draw was beating a bigger draw... Leonard. But before then, he built a fan base among mostly Latin American people.

Edit: and by fighting in Latin countries and making defenses there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemisis View Post
                well cuban fighters are nothing new to the sport, I think they should follow some of their countrymen and leave cuba before they are in their 30's of course... I know it aint that hard to leave cuba. a lot of them go to Mexico then cross over and get papers. as for rivalries its pretty much up to fighters to START one, and since cuban fighters are too few it is kinda hard.
                I think the closest thing to a rivalry ive seen is gamboa and juanma.... but that was more fan based imo
                Its not that hard to leave Cuba... The fk? The stuff you hear around this place.
                Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                You're a good poster, except when it comes to Donaire. I don't get it, he's not hogging your guys limelight, he's earned his standing. The 4 Gamboa opponents you listed are not even as good as Donaire's standard fare p4p. They'd kill them h2h (I doubt even Donaire gets past Salido, much less Gamboa), but that doesn't count, how would Gamboa do against Donaire at 118?
                I don't think I was the first one to bring up Donaire and if I was Im too lazy to go check. What did Donaire do to get on the P4P? He had a cool little when he beat Darchi and stuff but I dont think he deserves to be there above Marquez, Ward or Dawson to name a few. Look at his recent run... Pure **** tbh. And I never seen Gamboa at 118 and I don't think he could make that weight even if he starved himself for a month. He's a thick dude but if he brings everything he had at 126 to 118 its hard not to pick Gamboa over Donaire.

Comment

Originally posted by PED Salesman View Post

As for Kid Chocolate, when a guy walking on the street saw his name on a flyer, all he could tell was that he was black. African American fans bought tickets thinking they were watching one of their own, and white racist fans went in wanting to watch a black fighter get beat. Boxers faking accents or ethnicities was frequently done in those days. Cocoa kid didn't even speak English at his press conferences/promotional meetings (despite having been raised in the U.S. and speaking perfect English), because he wanted to appeal to Puerto Rican audiences on the East Coast.

Puerto Rican fans filled up gyms when he trained in New York for Pipino Cuevas, and the Latin American media was all over him before he even fought Leonard. What made him a transcendent draw was beating a bigger draw... Leonard. But before then, he built a fan base among mostly Latin American people.

You are talking about Duran, right?

Comment

Naturally. But the reason the "Keed" got the exposure in the first place was due to his greatness and exciting style.

I think you're making some assumptions here, some of which are not supported by historical accounts. Kid Chocolate was, to the best of my knowledge, not only popular in the ring, but outside of it. Saying that large groups of people didn't know where Chocolate hailed from would be accusing them of mass ignorance, especially since the Kid was also known as the "Cuban Bon Bon". Even if some African-Americans were confused about the Kid's background, they would not have accounted for his success. As for whites going to see him to watch him lose, that's conjecture based on a Jack Johnson-type scenario. Unlike Johnson, Kid Chocolate was a popular champion even beyond his own people.

I always saw Duran as a fighter who was embraced by all Latinos. (He's my all-time favorite boxer.) And I agree that fighting Leonard elevated his star to new heights. In fact, their rivalry benefited them both. A great fighter needs another great fighter to achieve his ultimate potential.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                      This is just a call for a forum wide brainstorm. As most of you are familiar with many Cubans risk life and limb just to escape their homeland in hopes of more lucrative prospects in the United States. Cubans with rich amateur backgrounds in baseball have no problems establishing themselves as stars in their sport (or at least being paid as such). Boxing defectors are not afforded as easy a path to wealth and celebrity.

My question to you as regular members of NSB, is what could be done to improve the public opinion of Cuban fighters? In terms of viability as opponents, risk/reward scenarios, even national rivalries.
                      Have at least 2 cards in Miami with the "a side" in each fight be a cuban born fighter.Try to set up as many cuban vs PR fights in Miami as possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X