Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can Cuban fighters do to better promote themselves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

date a Kadashian

Comment

Originally posted by PED Salesman View Post
      I think the whole English thing has little effect. For example, Tito Trinidad didn't need to learn, and was extremely popular. Roberto Duran hasn't even bothered learning it after all these years lol, and he's still beloved by fans from all types of non-Spanish speaking countries.

The best route for Cubans to take is to do the same as legends like Jose "Mantequilla" Napoles and Ultiminio "Sugar" Ramos. They should spend the beginning of their careers in Mexico, where they can communicate with fans better about their background and experiences, and where they can sell their personalities better than they ever could in broken English (Rigondeaux is actually pretty funny in interviews where he lets his guard down). Also, their styles will naturally turn more aggressive. The "tomato cans" in Mexico tend to be tougher than those in the U.S. and come forward more often.

Then, when it's time to crossover, they can start fighting in Southern California or Texas. Mexican-American households have access to the Mexican media, and they'll have a following already, just as Canelo had an instant following when he came to the states. Mantequilla in particular was insanely popular in Mexico back in the day, and was welcomed as an adopted Mexican (came out in movies, etc). Sugar Ramos hung out with Mexican celebrities.

The U.S. is definitely not the only game in town, especially in the early part of a fighter's career.

There you have it folks. In order for a Cuban boxer to be successful, he needs to be Mexican.
      Last edited by MalikKnucklez; 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
        Good point about the language barrier.

Finally got that out huh? At least Gamboa was successful in getting away from Top Rank and will move on to bigger things. Lucky for Donaire Gamboa is leaving 126 too. I see Gamboa, with his new affiliation, surpassing Donaire. And tell Donaire to take notes from Gamboa on how to fight REAL opposition back to back to back to back. Not once every 2 years.

Oh oh and tell Donaire to take notes on how to make it to the olympics and win medals for his country. Got mine out, come again.
        donaire's KO win against darchinyan > anything gamboa has done in his pro career

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
          donaire's KO win against darchinyan > anything gamboa has done in his pro career
          Aw **** here we go again.

I see Donaire fans are still riding that win the same way he's milking it for his P4P status. The guy has 2 notable wins on his resume in 30 fights. While Gamboa in less than 20 was fighting Barros, Solis, Salido and Ponce. All back to back and was on his way to fighting Rios till the contractual issues popped up. Im not even gonna throw Mtagwa who gave Juanma hell cause I think he sux. But when was the last time Donaire fought some good opposition back to back? In 21 fights Gamboa was already P4P listed.

Oh and btw, Gamboa whoops Donaire silly. Or you gonna tell me Donaire beats him the same way he beats Rigo?
          Last edited by .:: JSFD26 ::.; 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
            There you have it folks. In order for a Cuban boxer to be successful, he needs to be Mexican.
            lol

Comment

I think the topic is kind of a moot point. Cuban boxers, like all fighters, have to become real stars in order to attract a major following. Sure, Mexican and Puerto Rican fighters have a leg up due to their established fan-bases; but no one outside major stars and those believed to be future stars get real support. A guy like JuanMa had support because many Puerto Ricans thought he might be the next star from the island. Now that he’s lost a couple of fights to Salido, you can believe many of his “fans” have jumped ship. And speaking of "Siri", he doesn’t have a following to speak of, despite the Mexican fervor for boxing and his two big victories within "the rivalry".

Everyone loves a winner, especially one that wins in exciting fashion. And if you happen to identify with that guy based on a shared nationality, ethnicity, etc., you’ll want to be associated with that person. That’s the way most people are. Fighters like Felix Trinidad and JCC Sr. transcended their natural fan-bases, that’s why they were major stars. But the real reason they became icons among their own is because their people wanted to be identified with them. ("Hey, he's one of mine!") Believe me, if a Cuban fighter becomes a superstar, there will be Cubans coming out of the woodwork to support him. They’ll show their pride just like everyone else. Until then, no amount of outrageous quotes, funny costumes, or even English speaking, will catch anyone's attention.
              Last edited by CubanGuyNYC; 07-23-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
                Or Puerto Rican.

Not enough Cubans outside of Cuba to build a fan base from. They have to "hijack" another country's audience. Not their fault, but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
                  i aint taking no orders from anyone....you go find it..it's common knowldege
                  gamboa never called out rios lol is like when decubas speaks for lara on this website and people believe it then i ask yudi and she says lara doesn't even know who that japanese fighter you are talking about is lol that was after boxingscene put an article here of lara calling out that jap fighter that knocked out kirkland lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Cubanborn87 View Post
                    gamboa never called out rios lol is like when decubas speaks for lara on this website and people believe it then i ask yudi and she says lara doesn't even know who that japanese fighter you are talking about is lol that was after boxingscene put an article here of lara calling out that jap fighter that knocked out kirkland lmao
                    Well, to Decubas defence, he's at least giving Lara a personality by talking "smack."

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      I think the topic is kind of a moot point. Cuban boxers, like all fighters, have to become real stars in order to attract a major following. Sure, Mexican and Puerto Rican fighters have a leg up due to their established fan-bases; but no one outside major stars and those believed to be future stars get real support. A guy like JuanMa had support because many Puerto Ricans thought he might be the next star from the island. Now that he’s lost a couple of fights to Salido, you can believe many of his “fans” have jumped ship. And speaking of "Siri", he doesn’t have a following to speak of, despite the Mexican fervor for boxing and his two big victories within "the rivalry".

Every one loves a winner, especially one that wins in exciting fashion. And if you happen to identify with that guy based on a shared nationality, ethnicity, etc., you’ll want to be associated with that person. That’s the way most people are. Fighters like Felix Trinidad and JCC Sr. transcended their natural fan-bases, that’s why they were major stars. But the real reason they became icons among their own is because their people wanted to be identified with them. ("Hey, he's one of mine!") Believe me, if a Cuban fighter becomes a superstar, there will be Cubans coming out of the woodwork to support them. They’ll show their pride just like everyone else. Until then, no amount of outrageous quotes, funny costumes, or even English speaking, will catch anyone's attention.
                      I wish it was that easy, if you take gamboa and dont change a thing about him except his nationality and make him mexican or boricua, he would be a star right away without a doubt, and TR would've promoted him like they did juanma or better. Salido is mexican but thats about it he doesnt have the style , he has a few losses. he doesn't pocess that swag that would make him popular as a mexican fighter

Comment

Working...
                      X