Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can Cuban fighters do to better promote themselves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can Cuban fighters do to better promote themselves?

This is just a call for a forum wide brainstorm. As most of you are familiar with many Cubans risk life and limb just to escape their homeland in hopes of more lucrative prospects in the United States. Cubans with rich amateur backgrounds in baseball have no problems establishing themselves as stars in their sport (or at least being paid as such). Boxing defectors are not afforded as easy a path to wealth and celebrity.

My question to you as regular members of NSB, is what could be done to improve the public opinion of Cuban fighters? In terms of viability as opponents, risk/reward scenarios, even national rivalries.

Fight in Florida.

Comment

Leave FL and reside elsewhere to stay away from the party scene. Being Cuban, you don't need to necessarily fight in FL cuz that area is covered.

Comment

Old fashioned way man. Fight locally, build a following and expand. The Roy Jones Jr. way.

He fought all his early fights in Pensacola, and gradually built up a fanbase before becoming a contender. I think Cuban fighters should start down here in Miami, build a following and fight their way to the top.

Not nearly as easy as I'm making it sound. But I think it's a starting point to increase the popularity and exposure for these fighters.

Comment

helping them to learn a little bit of English might be a good investment to make as a manager or promoter. i bet that can be tough to find time for, but everyone who has managed to do it instantly becomes more well known.

ppl have to be able to make a personal connection to u and a lot of that is done by language

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
            helping them to learn a little bit of English might be a good investment to make as a manager or promoter. i bet that can be tough to find time for, but everyone who has managed to do it instantly becomes more well known.

ppl have to be able to make a personal connection to u and a lot of that is done by language
            English helps a lot. HBO and Showtime tends to be favorable to fighters who speak English. Hey...just my opinion. Call it as I see it.

Comment

KOs and speaking english.

Comment

Hmm I think it's more about 'What can promoters do to better promote Cubans' and it also has a lot to do with their styles. Arum was doing it right with Gamboa, having him fight in Jersey, New York and of course Florida. Gamboa vs Ponce did almost 3k in Atlantic City and I don't think there's that many Mexicans in Jersey.

Now if you look at Lara, I don't think his style is bad at all but look at the way GBP promote him, like ****. They have him fighting in Mississipi wtf?

Then you have Rigo, Arum is doing a very good job promoting and showcasing him but his style is holding him back. He has to be matched up vs more aggressive guys to make him look good till he learns, if ever, to be more aggressive.

The point Im getting to is, it's a mixture of promoters and fighting styles. I guess you could say they would have to switch their style up to a more fan friendly style or at least as close to it as possible. But again, the long amateur careers make it hard to make the switch in style.

Comment

stop being divas and dont pull out a fight you asked...and stop fighting bums..take note rigo and gamboa...

Comment

Good point about the language barrier.

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
                    stop being divas and dont pull out a fight you asked...and stop fighting bums..take note rigo and gamboa...
                    Finally got that out huh? At least Gamboa was successful in getting away from Top Rank and will move on to bigger things. Lucky for Donaire Gamboa is leaving 126 too. I see Gamboa, with his new affiliation, surpassing Donaire. And tell Donaire to take notes from Gamboa on how to fight REAL opposition back to back to back to back. Not once every 2 years.

Oh oh and tell Donaire to take notes on how to make it to the olympics and win medals for his country. Got mine out, come again.
                    Last edited by .:: JSFD26 ::.; 07-22-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X