No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Marroquin Plans To Shock Rigondeaux on Chavez-Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Marroquin Plans To Shock Rigondeaux on Chavez-Martinez

The Julio Cesar Chavez Jr-Sergio Martinez pay-per-view undercard is starting to take shape. Last week BoxingScene first reported that a fight between WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux and prospect Robert Marroquin (22-1) was being discussed for the September 15th card that takes place at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, NV.

[Click Here To Read More]

I'm very disappointed to hear that Marroquin is being fed to Rigondeaux. Marroquin is a very solid fighter who lost his way about a year ago. He's barely starting to get back on track and in no way, shape, or form is he ready for a grown man, and champion, like Rigo. Marroquin is a very young 22 years old; and while we do have other fighters who are that young and are ready for big step-ups (Broner, Alvarez, Morales when he was 21), I feel Roberto is not one of them. Every fighter matures differently; some mature younger than others. It doesn't mean they're not as good, just that they're a bit different. I think Roberto is the latter and will possibly be ready when he's about 24. I really do hope I'm wrong and he does well (and hopefully he doesn't get blown away)!

Comment

Marroquin is just a prospect.

Comment

I just don't understand this match up, why would TR do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
          Such a deep division and they are taking that no-name with no resume for Rigo... Damn Bob, make a call to Poonsawat.
          I disagree with this fight wholeheartedly and that is just one of many reasons. Marroquin actually has some potential and pretty decent pop, and if im not mistaken dude is my age. Way too young and some horrible career handling on his team's part to take this fight.

I was telling my trainer about a month and a half ago "aye, [Rigo's next opponent] can't be any worse than Kennedy", i'm afraid im mistaken.

If there's any upside to this is that Marroquin has never been afraid to go in there and mix it up. Obviously, this is a death certificate against Rigondeaux, but at least we'll be getting our money's worth.

Comment

Rigondeaux won't get no credit for this though that kid was an amateur stand out, is a ridiculous size at the weight and only has one loss, a controversial loss to a respectable fighter in Jose Angel Beranza who beat Rosas (the prospect that fought Arce everyone was high on) I believe.

Should be noted that Marroquin also beat Gary Russell Jr in the ams for what its worth.

He has talent but he is just to raw, he is still maturing.
            I can't even say **** about Donaire tbh when Rigondeaux is being matched against kids like this.

Its a shame Arum is feeding a young, talented kid like this to Rigondeaux tbh

Comment

Bob Arum, proving once again , or a that he is not interested in a decent undercard with a competive fight

Comment

Last two times I saw Marroquin in one of those he lost to a clubfighter named Leal and in the second one he was getting the crap beaten out of him the last 2 rounds by Jose Beranza. Leal went on to great heights such as getting knocked out by a fighter with only 12 fights just 2 fights later.
                Last edited by richardt; 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                  a respectable fighter in Jose Angel Beranza who beat Rosas (the prospect that fought Arce everyone was high on) I believe.
                  Jose Angel Beranza is a 36 year old fighter with 24 loses. =\

Comment

marroquin is a decent prospect, but definitely not ready for a world championship title fight yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X