No announcement yet.

Mayweather and Amir Khan in negotiations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
    i disagree with you on this one. i see mayweather walking him down pretty easily making him retreat pretty much the majority of the fight and possibly getting stopped. he has no backup plan once his bum rush routine stops being effective and has 0 defense to protect himself. he'll get busted up bad in this fight. mccloskey, peterson, maidana those guys made him look like an amateur... he's not ready for floyd.

i think floyd will walk to him. we agree on that. walking him down in the sense that he's creating a situation that khan cant deal with unless he backs up? not meaningfully enough to stop him, IMO. he might make amir, run, but who doesnt? i dont think he'll really turn the heat up on him enough to stop him. and on the outside khan's going to have fast enough hands to at least touch floyd and score some points.

peterson and maidana applied pressure and showed real strength. khan looked off against mccloskey, agreed, but he and floyd dont fight alike. mccloskey isnt slick, he's slimey. and a southpaw to boot.

i'm thinking 9 rounds to three. if floyd can get khan to the ropes and land combinations it's over with, but i dont think he will take the risks or hold the advantages to do that enough to stop him.

floyd doesnt really stop guys. he lets them stop themselves if the opportunity shows up, but he doesnt cut the ring off, back a guy up with the jab, go to the body, refuse to get tied up and keep his hands free when a man is hurt, etc.

Comment

I can't see Khan beating Mayweather, but his style might make for a good fight. Nobody but Martinez at 154 or Pacquiao at 147 really intrigues me more for Mayweather. It's better than a Canelo fight IMO.

Comment

About time Khan gets his big fight. This guy was ducked by Marquez and Bradley, who both got their big fights. Roach will make this fight interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          i think floyd will walk to him. we agree on that. walking him down in the sense that he's creating a situation that khan cant deal with unless he backs up? not meaningfully enough to stop him, IMO. he might make amir, run, but who doesnt? i dont think he'll really turn the heat up on him enough to stop him. and on the outside khan's going to have fast enough hands to at least touch floyd and score some points.

peterson and maidana applied pressure and showed real strength. khan looked off against mccloskey, agreed, but he and floyd dont fight alike. mccloskey isnt slick, he's slimey. and a southpaw to boot.

i'm thinking 9 rounds to three. if floyd can get khan to the ropes and land combinations it's over with, but i dont think he will take the risks or hold the advantages to do that enough to stop him.

floyd doesnt really stop guys. he lets them stop themselves if the opportunity shows up, but he doesnt cut the ring off, back a guy up with the jab, go to the body, refuse to get tied up and keep his hands free when a man is hurt, etc.
          floyd has increasingly taken more risks in his last 3 fights though so who knows. the guy is always right there to be hit with right hands and his only mode of defense is to back in a straight line to the ropes. once may adjusts to the speed (it's not like he's coming from awkward angles also, he just moves his hands fast in front of him), he'll realize he can overwhelm khan easily. it's not going to be pretty.
          Last edited by John Barron; 07-13-2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtiger777 View Post
            he has no time to take off
            He usually fights once a year so he can definitely wait until next May.

Originally posted by New England View Post
            khan's bigger than mayweather...

the WW limit would not have anything to do with this fight.

it's a nice fight.

khan's a good fighter in his prime with some speed and power. it will be nice to see floyd in there with a young guy with young legs.

floyd via wide decision with khan making a solid showing and proving he belongs with top guys (147 or otherwise,)
            It's not a nice fight, Khan hasn't shown that he belongs on that elite level. He'd have to annihilate Garcia for me to be remotely interested in him fighting Floyd.

Comment

i love this fight. khans work rate and speed will make this fight interesting. how ever long it lasts. Mayweather KO 8

Comment

This is a good/solid fight.

Khan is one of the Top 1-2 JWW's, along with Bradley of course, and has a pretty good list of solid wins. His style will make the fight interesting, for at least a few rounds at the very least. He's in his prime, and is pretty much the only one available for a fight late in the year. It also would mean that Floyd is staying active like he said he wanted to do. The more often that Floyd fights, the better.

And weight is almost a non-issue, though it'd be bigger had Khan had a fight at 147 first. But, Khan walks into the ring around 147-149 and is taller than Floyd, so the weight won't really be a factor. Khan just won't have to cut as much weight to get down to 140 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                  They have already negotiated and agreed on everything more than a year ago, the Cheaterson loss was one of the reason this fight set can back.
                  Yeah, Peterson was supposed to prove he could handle a versatile fighter, needless to say it didn't. Garcia sure as hell won't change that. Not surprised, but Khan better watch his ass. We already saw one Golden Boy fighter f*** up before a money fight.

Comment

Originally posted by DefThatGuy View Post
                    Say what?

lol
                    Glad I could give you a good laugh. Floyd will have his choice of either fight so let's see which one he takes. Yes, I think Canelo would KO Khan. How do you see a Khan vs. Canelo fight ending?

Comment

• Since Floyd is claiming he is prison-starved, this fight should be at 140lbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X