Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow India / Pakistan Boxing for over 3000 years. Someone educate the Garcias..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fix View Post
    I looked into this after the racist remarks from the Garcias. It's some interesting info. It turns out that boxing has been in the Indian/Pakistani and Arab world long before it ever came over to this side of the planet and it could have actually started there!

Taken from Wiki:
    Many of the popular sports mentioned in the Vedas (3000 year old Indian texts) and the epics have their origins in military training, such as wrestling (maladvandva), boxing (musti yuddha) and archery (dhanurvidya).[5]

The country of Pakistan has only been around since 1947, before that the region was part of India too so Pakistanis are actually a mix of Indians and Arabs.

One of the oldest martial arts is known as Kalaripayattu from ancient India. Some say it's actually the world's first martial arts and was introduced to China by a traveling monk but that's a hotly debated topic.

This picture is found in the Ptah Hotep tomb from 2500 BCE. Pharaohs and princes watched the boxing match, which indicates that it was an organized contest.

Yeah ok and where are they ranked in the world of boxing again?

PRPP

Comment

Soon as he got hit, the music stopped.

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post

The Prince does not approve this message

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
        Blake Griffin's less talented half.
        Deron Williams too.

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
          I never said they didn't, the point I was trying to get across is some do it more then others...Some places it's more accepted then others and some stopped doing it years ago, whilst others still encourage it today.

Did you ever get that list of championship boxers from the last 50 years?

Totally agree, genetics, "hard work & dedication" etc all play a massive part. It's all the ingredients mixed together with some luck that you create and the rest takes care of itself.
          So what about the families that have been here for over 100 years? They can't hide behind the "hard working immigrant" status. They have 7 - 10 generations born in the UK who are more British then some of the Brits who can be traced from here even longer then 100 years.

There is no point talking about the ancient romans, aztecs, mongols etc as we might as well then bring in the Toba catastrophe and make this really complicated. Im not debating that those folks were superior back in the day, but this is today.

Im going to bail out of this discussion. You know my opinion. i've put it across in the best way I can typing. I can defend it and debate it all day long. Im not saying it's right, but its my opinion and if it was over a beer I could chat for hours about it...but as its a boxing forum I'm going to probably leave this thread alone and get back into some boxing discussion.

Enjoyed the discussion with you all
          100 years lollll
          The trend started in the 60's and onwards, of Corse they migrated before that but it was the 60's when vast majority start migrating and 7-10 generations your talking about is quite silly.
          You take care my brother good chating to you.
          Last edited by Box3r; 07-12-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
            Blake Griffin's less talented half.
            It is a shame his free throw shooting didn't come from that side of the family~

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
              Mods need to do their job and moderate this thread
              lol.. Is that the best you could come with? What a disappointment you are as a debater.

Comment

Originally posted by PRPOWERPUNCHES View Post
                Yeah ok and where are they ranked in the world of boxing again?

PRPP
                Technically, they are the reason the world of boxing exists. Pay homage.

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
                  This looks more like a mime dance than a fight...

They could do a lot better in soccer, though.
                  I bet you if you got one of these modern-day blind judges to draw their interpretation of a boxing match it would look more like this:

Comment

When it comes to pro boxing Pakistanis and Indians are basically non existent, however genes are not as important as they are made out to be. Main reason is the mentality of Pakistanis and Indians, sport to us is just for play and is usually kept as such; an exception is cricket in which Pakistanis are known to produce the fastest and best bowlers, surprising because black and white men are supposed to have better athletic genes. When it comes to boxing it is not a popular sport at all in those countries, amateur level is where the sport peaks, there is no pro structure, so its understandable that there are no champions or even average level boxers from those countries. When it comes to other combat sports, traditional wrestling is quite popular but in the western world its obviously unknown.

Comment

Lets be real here. If parts of the Caribbean, Central America, and North America played cricket instead of baseball they'd be dominating it. India is on average one of the shortest countries on the planet, that alone would be a serious handicap in most team sports.

Comment

Working...
                      X