Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Victor Ortiz Made The Right Call: Health First, Dollars Later

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
    Yes, but at the same time there are all types of safeguards in boxing to prevent health disasters such as death. There is a reason for the gloves with the padding. There is a reason why the referee has the ability to stop the fight if he sees either fighter taking on too much punishment, or if there is some sort of severe damage going on that is obvious (such as really bad cuts). There is a reason why trainers and/or doctors can stop the fight. Boxers aren't paid so handsomely to take these risks. They are paid handsomely, if and only if, and only according to their audience. Boxing allows for punishment, just not extreme punishment! And a broken jaw, I don't care what any moron here says, is extreme punishment. At that point a fight should always be stopped!

And FYI, there are plenty, I mean plenty, of boxers who get paid peanuts for fighting. Most fighters are paid peanuts! It is only the cream of the crop that makes eye-opening money.
    I agree with a lot of what you have to say is true. Yes, there are many safeguards in this sport to protect the fighters and the integrity of boxing itself. Yet it still doesn't make it any less dangerous. The best way to avoid serious injury or extreme punishment as you say is to not enter into the profession in the first place; Because no matter how much regulating or safeguarding of the sport, it's still a hazardous occupation, which carries with it many health risks. The short term affects of it may not show up early but they most inevitably will later. Also, athletes especially prizefighters are conditioned to have exceptionally high thresholds for pain because they over exert every muscle, bone, tissue and cell within their bodies. This is why in competition, many of them can persevere and endure through so much pain and rarely have their wills broken due to the fear of injury.

Comment

Victor made the right call. No one deserves a permanent injury. For the people who say, "if you can't fight through an injury, then you're in the wrong sport", you guys are ******ed. A lot of fighters didn't choose to be boxers simply because they wanted to. A lot of them chose to be boxers because they were looking for a way out of their harsh reality. Or some boxers were just forced into it. Some people are just athletically gifted, but would never have made it into the NBA or NFL because of their size. Boxing gave those people options. Or maybe they just do enjoy it and it is their passion. But they don't deserve to be permanently damaged for it. Yes fighters should all know the risk of boxing before they get into it, but if they can avoid permanent damage, then they should. Fighters are fighters, but they were humans first.

Comment

all these internet tough guys would have been delighted if ortiz continued but im sure if some life threatening injury would have happened to him they would be "oh hes ****** for cotinuing" or "this is whats wrong with boxing we need better comissions"

Comment

Originally posted by omyblaze57 View Post
          Bunch of ignorants tryin to diss Ortiz because of that, and I'm convinced that those who criticized him won't even stand a punch on the nose by a 3 year old baby...
          this is true...

Comment

Originally posted by mgsooner View Post
            If his injuries are truly as bad as reported, you are a moron if you criticize him for not continuing. Let's break your jaw in two places and then we'll see if you're ready to go get hit in the face for 9 more minutes.
            Tell that to Chief.
            You know.... his from the military. He Says Ortiz was a quitter cuz he didn't want to continue with a broken jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by theocdog View Post
              I'm looking forward to seeing Ortiz fight again. He's always in exciting fights. It sucks that he's not willing to go out on his shield but he's not the only one. Cotto has said it more than once that he's not willing to risk his health in the ring but no one hates on him the way some ppl are hating on Ortiz.
              Cotto is a warrior, not a quiter like Ortiz. He uses defense to win, where Ortiz loses to a wild brawler Maidana, Cotto would box circles around Maidana, Ortiz never was really all that good, he just sign with a good company and they made him seem better than he was.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike2012 View Post
                Cotto is a warrior, not a quiter like Ortiz. He uses defense to win, where Ortiz loses to a wild brawler Maidana, Cotto would box circles around Maidana, Ortiz never was really all that good, he just sign with a good company and they made him seem better than he was.
                No.

You are so far off it's not even funny.

Cotto is a double knee-taking quitter. Ortiz quit because of a career/life threatening injury.

Comment

Some of you gutless bastards have so much phony hate for certain fighters that its embarrassing to read. So what Abraham and Ali fought on with broken jaws. Tim Austin took a chance and got the stoppage. Yes, very courageous, but is that the apex of broken jaws that fighters have to follow when your jaw is broke in two spots? I don't think so. One more big shot, uppercut, hook, and the damage becomes catastrophic. Hey but at least you will say Ortiz has heart...then under your breath call him ******. Man eff yall...

Comment

Originally posted by Antagonist View Post
                    No.

You are so far off it's not even funny.

Cotto is a double knee-taking quitter. Ortiz quit because of a career/life threatening injury.
                    Cotto a quitter? Do you even respect your boxing opinion? It's possible that Cotto fought a man who used plaster.

Comment

I just can't find it in my heart to call a fighter a quitter. I just can't.

Comment

Working...
                      X