No announcement yet.

New boxing video game announced by Nintendo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Popovich View Post
    I'd rather not because A) I'm too lazy to and B) That's really not the point of my post. I'm not here to argue the anatomy of a broken jaw in boxing, so I'll just take your word for it.

I opened myself up to that, due to wording that poorly, but whatever.

The point I'm making and it's not even a point rather a question; why are people knocking fighters for quitting when breaking a jaw?

Yes a fighter earns "cool points" for fighter on but I think a pass should be giving if they want to call it a night. I'm not an Ortiz fan fwiw, and I've always felt this way about broken jaws in boxing.
    it all boils to down to comparison.

it's akin to lebron being ****ted on because he doesn't perform as well in the clutch as mj.

it doesn't matter whether the circumstances are different or not.

there was a precedent of excellence in that regard and ppl come to expect that.

in victor's case, the precedence was other fighters fought on with a broken jaw.

you say the circumstances may be different.

that may very well be the case but it really doesn't matter as far as critics are concerned.

just like athletes are celebrated when they break records or reach milestones, the same athletes are criticized for failure to meet expectations.

in this case, ortiz was expected to fight on because fighters have done so before him.

is it unfair? maybe but precedence is both a gift and a curse.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
      It has nothing to do with "cool points", you're being juvenile. Fighters are expected to (and do) fight on through injury every single ****ing day : Broken jaws, broken hands, broken ribs, broken ankles, torn muscles, separated shoulders, the list of injuries is endless. Equally endless is the list of fighters who have fought through the physical pain and adversity and didn't give up on us.

Most boxers don't make anywhere near the amount of money Victor Ortiz does, and he's paid to fight, yet he's made millions from quitting. He did it against Maidana, he did it when he mentally melted down against Mayweather, and he did it again last night against Lopez.

Stop making excuses for the kid, he's an overly emotional/reactionary punk who fouls his opponets whenever things don't go his way, then quits whenever he's forced to dig deep.

He doesn't deserve to even have fans and how anybody can support him after last night is utterly laughable to me.
      He makes millions by putting on entertaining performances.

Ortiz vs Maidana = FOTY candidate
      Ortiz vs Lopez = FOTY candidate
      Ortiz vs Berto = FOTY candidate

Again, I'm no Ortiz fan but I was thoroughly entertained in each of those fights and I felt I got my money's worth.

So Ortiz, while he didn't win, did give fans an exciting night of boxing.......that's all I really care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogs! View Post
        it all boils to down to comparison.

it's akin to lebron being ****ted on because he doesn't perform as well in the clutch as mj.

it doesn't matter whether the circumstances are different or not.

there was a precedent of excellence in that regard and ppl come to expect that.

in victor's case, the precedence was other fighters fought on with a broken jaw.

you say the circumstances may be different.

that may very well be the case but it really doesn't matter as far as critics are concerned.

just like athletes are celebrated when they break records or reach milestones, the same athletes are criticized for failure to meet expectations.

in this case, ortiz was expected to fight on because fighters have done so before him.

is it unfair? maybe but precedence is both a gift and a curse.

Fair point.....I can see where your coming from.

Comment

I'm not upset, Ortiz is a punk b*tch and I'm sick of seeing him get paydays for quitting, that's all.

And my statement that fighters are expected to fight through injury isn't "bs" and "dumb", it's fact. Look at how many guys have fought through injury throughout the history of this sport and look at how many quit, there's no comparison. Hell, Vitali Klitschko DEMANDED the referee let him keep going against Lennox Lewis and he was in SERIOUS danger of losing his ****ing eyeball.

Lastly, nobody needs "credentials" to criticsize an athlete. Cute comment, but smarmy and stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Popovich View Post
            He makes millions by putting on entertaining performances.

Ortiz vs Maidana = FOTY candidate
            Ortiz vs Lopez = FOTY candidate
            Ortiz vs Berto = FOTY candidate
            Yeah, and he quit in two of those. Thanks for proving my point that he's making millions by quitting.

Comment

Yeah, and he quit in two of those. Thanks for proving my point that he's making millions by quitting.
              I intentionally put those two fights in which he quit on that list to show that despite the way they ended, they were still FOTY candidates.

It's isn't like a Bernard Hopkins type of quitting in which he finds a way out of the fight against Dawson after only one round.............rather it was after a long grueling fight in which everyone was entertained.

let's say if Ortiz got a million bucks for each of those fights.

I say he deserved each and every dollar as the fans got there money.

Now someone like Hopkins....that mutha****kkkkker still owes me $60 bucks for the b.s. he pulled in that fight....lol
              Last edited by Khalid X; 06-24-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I've just found out the controls for the game.

A-Headbutt/Punch in back of head

B-Offer fake apology/Compare yourself to a tree

Select-Stare at ref with hands down

Start-Quit on stool when fight gets competitive

Comment

I was playing Ortiz on FNC against Oscar De La Hoya the other night. Got k.o.'d in the ninth rd.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
                    yup after quitting he went on to eventually redeem himself by knocking out davey moore, going the distance/giving hagler a good fight when hagler was knocking everyone out, and beating iran barkley..etc..

Probably wouldve also quit if he hadnt been face first on the canvas asleep in the hearns fight

Comment

I'm not upset, Ortiz is a punk b*tch and I'm sick of seeing him get paydays for quitting, that's all.

And my statement that fighters are expected to fight through injury isn't "bs" and "dumb", it's fact. Look at how many guys have fought through injury throughout the history of this sport and look at how many quit, there's no comparison. Hell, Vitali Klitschko DEMANDED the referee let him keep going against Lennox Lewis and he was in SERIOUS danger of losing his ****ing eyeball.

Lastly, nobody needs "credentials" to criticsize an athlete. Cute comment, but smarmy and stupid.
                      Vitali quit against byrd you fail

Try watching more boxing

Comment

Working...
                      X