Comments Thread For: Peter Quillin Drops, Overpowers, Beats Winky Wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not impressed

Comment

I gotta give Winky more credit than Quillin. I was originally thinking that if the fight was going to be boring, it would be because of Winky staying in his shell. But Winky made the fight watchable by being the aggressor. Gotta remember Winky is also a counter puncher, but he forced the action even as the older man.

Quillin did what was expected of him. Whatever. He looked good, but I can't exactly sing praises considering the opponent.

I just rewatched part of Winky's fight against Williams. Even thought he ended up being dominated, his punches still looked somewhat sharp. With a few tuneups he could have continued his career. Now it's too late. No amount of training is going to bring back his hand speed at this age. He should retire.
      Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 06-03-2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Quillin looked better than I expected.

His strength impressed me. Once upon a time, Winky was one of, if not, the strongest Middleweight in the World, but Quillin was by far the stronger fighter. His shots had a much different impact than Winky's.

He showed the intangible of responding at the exact time he needed to. Winky had been in the process of having his best rounds of the fight (the Knockdown and Uppercut rounds) before being hurt by Quillin. Winky winning those rounds could've changed the course of the fight by giving him the momentum, but Quillin wouldn't let him have it for long.

His counter punching was especially good; there aren't many fighters that have consistently timed Winky (or other high quality shell fighters for that matter), but Quillin managed to do it. It made Winky tentative at times and bought him breathing room and time.

His offense (the power with which he throws) and muscles aren't going to allow him to ever fully rid himself of having to take breathers, rounds off, and having a low output, but his power will continue to buy him time to recoup.

The version of Winky he fought is still a good fighter (Top 10-20 Middleweight) and he didn't let him look better than he would have if Quillin didn't perform like he did. I don't give a ***** what people's opinion of this Winky is, this was an all around solid performance by PQ. Respect due...

Comment

Winky is the man!!!

Comment

If Winky Wright is going to continue he will need to get right back into the ring, not much time left for him. I think inactivity has put more losses on his record than age.

Comment

winky cannot even be considered a gatekeeper at this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                He answered with a 10 round fight against a 40 year old who hadn't seen the ring in 4 years.
                Yes he 40 years old but it was not a Mosley kind of showing, he was there to win...

Comment

TheQ handled Wright fairly easy , this by a still a boxer that needs much more experience...Wright needs to retire, period!!!

Comment

Much props to chocolate. Winky mentioned something about 154.

Comment

I don't get the discrediting of Quillin over his win. A 40yearold Winky is still a very crafty and difficult southpaw, what opponent has ever looked stellar versus him? Nobody's acting as if Quillin just beat a p4p fighter or a contender....it was a solid win over a solid guy....
                      Plus, some of u knew Winky was old before the fight when u predicted him schooling Quillin lol....so why the switching of tone now? He took a fight over the only big named fighter that presented itself (a guy who despite being inactive for almost 4 yrs still couldn't get a fight), I don't see why he's being punished for it.

It was an awkward style match-up from the beginning, two guys (one being southpaw) that like to counter being forced to push the pace and back each other up....Quilin did exactly what he needed to do against Winky...and that was overpower him and use his combinations when the opportunity presented itself....

anyway, i think despite the loss it was a good showing by Winky. He clearly doesn't have the speed and reflexes he once had but he still snapping those punches and proved to still have remnants of that impenetrable guard of his. I'd like to see him fight atleast one more time

Comment

Working...
                      X