Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you guys really think Pacquaio is better than Pernell Whitaker? last 20 years poll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Azuma Nelson was basically a smaller Baldimor, it has to be Pac

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      Considering Azuma Nelson was basically a smaller Baldimor, it has to be Pac

Nah, that was Duran.

Lamotta was the one who was a bigger version of Gatti.

Azumah Nelson is just that guy who's career is eclipsed by Shane Mosley's Lightweight run.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        Man some of you guys must just started watching boxing like five years ago....Pernell Whitaker(late 80's mid 90's) and Roy Jones(mid 90's-early 2000s) were undoubtedly the best fighters of their time...

Pacquaio hasnt even shown he is the best fighter of his era, and actually got the title "best fighter p4p" by default just because Mayweather had retired after the Ricky Hatton fight...Mayweather was a top 5 p4p guy for the past 12 years and has beaten more champions is more skillful as well

Im a fan of both fighters but really...for me its Either Pernell Whitaker or Jones who should be considered the best of the past 20 years.....until Manny and Floyd fight each other this era is just 1a and 1b no one proved they are the best yet

if you arent even considered the best of your time how can you be the best of the last 20 years?
        Im not one of the guys that just started watching boxing and have loved it since I was knee-high to a cricket. Back to the topic. Manny Pacquaio has accomplished alot in boxing. To go from poverty to one of the best fighters in the sports is alot.

I just went back to boxing rec and looked at his record. Im less than impressed especially from 1999-2009. I was wondering why the boxing writers put him ahead of Floyd during that period and I cant understand why. I saw the ledbawa victory and was impressed. I saw maybe the first Barrera fight but we must really ask ourselves was Barrera in his prime. The answer is sadly NO especially for the second fight. Morales that lost to Raheem and beat Pac is past his prime and the rest on his records were less than stellar boxers. Especially Hatton, Delahoya, Mosley, Diaz, Cotto, Margarito and the two Morrales losses. I excluded the good victories like Marquez if you want to claim those as victories because Pac may have a claim to the first fight but the next two were clearly Marquez's and we all can agree to that. Pac shouldnt have been fighter of the decade and right now hes not ahead of Andre Ward in my book as a boxer or Martinez and just for ****s and giggles you can put him maybe beside Marquez eventhough in my book Marquez is ahead.

Pac is a novice of his environment. Though Freddie Roach has guided him to great success. Pac may have been better served with once he learned the right hand from freddie and how to move laterally to get a different trainer. His defense is horrible but it does add to his crowd pleasing style. His adjustments in the ring are basic. He tries to pick up his pace and overwhelm his opponent. All any fighter has to do is circle away from his power hand and he becomes confused. In closing. Please dont insult Pernell Whitakers name by putting Pacquaios name in the same sentence. Pernell is an ATG and sorry to say this but like Delahoya and Mayweather PAC is just another Arum carefully guided fighter with a few great wins. Compare that to the fights he couldve taken like Juan Guzman, Humberto Soto, AND THE SLEW OF TALENT THAT WAS AT 140 when he passed through and you will know the truth. CHERRY PICKING AT ITS BEST. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST ASK ROACH.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Nah, that was Duran.

Lamotta was the one who was a bigger version of Gatti.

Azumah Nelson is just that guy who's career is eclipsed by Shane Mosley's Lightweight run.
          Ohhhh

Well excuse my ignorance of boxing history

Comment

of course WTF?

i started watching in the 70's so what's up with that?

Manny Pacquaio accomplished more that whitaker so definitely he "IS BETTER"

Lineal @112
            Lineal @126
            Lineal @130
            Lineal @140

Valid claim @122 and @147
            Paper belt @135
            Garbage belt @154

lower down the hate people

Comment

for those who chose either guy PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY...NO CHILDISH ARGUING

what do you mean by "better" ?

Pacquiao has accomplished more and still going. so he's better right?

Comment

Originally posted by EMACULATE View Post
                Im not one of the guys that just started watching boxing and have loved it since I was knee-high to a cricket. Back to the topic. Manny Pacquaio has accomplished alot in boxing. To go from poverty to one of the best fighters in the sports is alot.

I just went back to boxing rec and looked at his record. Im less than impressed especially from 1999-2009. I was wondering why the boxing writers put him ahead of Floyd during that period and I cant understand why. I saw the ledbawa victory and was impressed. I saw maybe the first Barrera fight but we must really ask ourselves was Barrera in his prime. The answer is sadly NO especially for the second fight. Morales that lost to Raheem and beat Pac is past his prime and the rest on his records were less than stellar boxers. Especially Hatton, Delahoya, Mosley, Diaz, Cotto, Margarito and the two Morrales losses. I excluded the good victories like Marquez if you want to claim those as victories because Pac may have a claim to the first fight but the next two were clearly Marquez's and we all can agree to that. Pac shouldnt have been fighter of the decade and right now hes not ahead of Andre Ward in my book as a boxer or Martinez and just for ****s and giggles you can put him maybe beside Marquez eventhough in my book Marquez is ahead.

Pac is a novice of his environment. Though Freddie Roach has guided him to great success. Pac may have been better served with once he learned the right hand from freddie and how to move laterally to get a different trainer. His defense is horrible but it does add to his crowd pleasing style. His adjustments in the ring are basic. He tries to pick up his pace and overwhelm his opponent. All any fighter has to do is circle away from his power hand and he becomes confused. In closing. Please dont insult Pernell Whitakers name by putting Pacquaios name in the same sentence. Pernell is an ATG and sorry to say this but like Delahoya and Mayweather PAC is just another Arum carefully guided fighter with a few great wins. Compare that to the fights he couldve taken like Juan Guzman, Humberto Soto, AND THE SLEW OF TALENT THAT WAS AT 140 when he passed through and you will know the truth. CHERRY PICKING AT ITS BEST. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST ASK ROACH.

Comment

No matter how you look at it, Whitaker is better/greater. Having 2 ATGs at their best or close enough it doesn't matter, along with the weight climb, gives Pac an argument as far as resume, but Whitaker is still greater there. In the ring, Whitaker is one of the best h2h fighters I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    No matter how you look at it, Whitaker is better/greater. Having 2 ATGs at their best or close enough it doesn't matter, along with the weight climb, gives Pac an argument as far as resume, but Whitaker is still greater there. In the ring, Whitaker is one of the best h2h fighters I've ever seen.
                    Lets not forget that the Chavez and Nelson fights are just the top.

His beat a lot of very good fighters aswell of those two career defining performances.

Comment

Man some of you guys must just started watching boxing like five years ago....Pernell Whitaker(late 80's mid 90's) and Roy Jones(mid 90's-early 2000s) were undoubtedly the best fighters of their time...

Pacquaio hasnt even shown he is the best fighter of his era, and actually got the title "best fighter p4p" by default just because Mayweather had retired after the Ricky Hatton fight...Mayweather was a top 5 p4p guy for the past 12 years and has beaten more champions is more skillful as well

Im a fan of both fighters but really...for me its Either Pernell Whitaker or Jones who should be considered the best of the past 20 years.....until Manny and Floyd fight each other this era is just 1a and 1b no one proved they are the best yet

if you arent even considered the best of your time how can you be the best of the last 20 years?
                      I think this poll neded 2 questions?

1. WHose better p4p whitaker or Manny?
                      2. FOr those who picked Manny, do you know who Sweet Pea was and what he accomplished?

I think you'll see about 95%-99% of people who picked Manny the answers for question 2 would be no and No.

SO you can't really blame someone if they are a young slightly post pubescent asain that hasn't been around long enough to know about Sweet Pea.

Comment

Working...
                      X