Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you guys really think Pacquaio is better than Pernell Whitaker? last 20 years poll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitaker is the better boxer for sure. Manny has more belts but nowadays that doesn't carry much weight. With proper match making any decent fighter can obtain championship status and probably make a few defenses.

When I see Pernell in his prime the dude was a boxing phenom. The way he would make guys miss while standing right in front of them is epic. Even a young fast De La Hoya couldn't land on that man. He schooled Chavez. The man won rounds with his defense. Now that's something that Manny couldn't do. And his offense is probably underrated, he had good body shots and great variation in his arsenal. Maybe that style of fighting is not appealing to some but the level of his craft was simply amazing. The guy never looked uncomfortable in the ring (don't include the Trinidad fight) and had incredible stamina.

Manny is good, not great. Though he has good speed and has some pop in his shots his boxing ability is lacking. Also he fails at making adjustments in the ring. I see Manny as guy that can follow a gameplan but relies on Roach to make adjustments for him. I think a lot of his wins are because of his physical advantages specifically his speed advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
      manny is more popular than pea to casual fans, no doubt.

manny is also better in being universally known.

however, manny has never and will never hope to be 75% of the p4p fighter that pea was. what a silly poll
      I think you summed it up really well right there. Sweet Pea is an all time great fighter but Manny is probably the best promoted.

Comment

Manny is an ATG, lets not get carried away.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernTalking View Post
          For a featherweight who is coming in as a favorite (according to you) vs big welterweight and he's not great. PAC is making fight look like he's on roid...don't forget .
          Wow- you edited that and it still made no sense-lol

When has Manny (as a featherweight) fought a big welter (you said it,not me!)???? I thought you guys said he was weight drained as a featherweight-lol

Answer this though-when was Pac the underdog apart from the Oscar fight? You will have to go back a LONG ways,so don't make it sound otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
            Pac and pea are the best southpaws of all time. I have pea ranked higher right now. If pac walks through bradley that will probably change.
            LOL-you mean after he walks through a guy who is a weightclass lower than Pac? That will make him greater than Pernell??? smh

Comment

Pac is the greater, more dominant fighter, only having difficulty with JMM.
              Pernel on the other hand has 100 different ways of avoiding being punched, but that dont make you better. Hes better at making people miss, but that dont make you greater, as Pac has dominated everyone anyway, and hasnt been knocked down so probaby isnt too bad at not being hit.

Unless hes got a concrete chin and has relied on that.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                Pac is the greater, more dominant fighter, only having difficulty with JMM.
                Pernel on the other hand has 100 different ways of avoiding being punched, but that dont make you better. Hes better at making people miss, but that dont make you greater, as Pac has dominated everyone anyway, and hasnt been knocked down so probaby isnt too bad at not being hit.

Unless hes got a concrete chin and has relied on that.
                ............ What are you on?

Comment

Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
                  ............ What are you on?
                  Hasnt been knocked down properly for a long time if i remember correctly thats what i meant and he is fighting very good fighters and fights regularly.

Comment

Pernell + Roy > than FMJ and MAnny

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                      Man some of you guys must just started watching boxing like five years ago....Pernell Whitaker(late 80's mid 90's) and Roy Jones(mid 90's-early 2000s) were undoubtedly the best fighters of their time...

Pacquaio hasnt even shown he is the best fighter of his era, and actually got the title "best fighter p4p" by default just because Mayweather had retired after the Ricky Hatton fight...Mayweather was a top 5 p4p guy for the past 12 years and has beaten more champions is more skillful as well

Im a fan of both fighters but really...for me its Either Pernell Whitaker or Jones who should be considered the best of the past 20 years.....until Manny and Floyd fight each other this era is just 1a and 1b no one proved they are the best yet

if you arent even considered the best of your time how can you be the best of the last 20 years?
                      I'm in my 40s and seen from Ali, to leonard to tyson and now Pac! Yes Pac's a much greater fighter! Power is a Great equalizer and Pee has non of that! He might have a greatest defence but u know already that the greatest defensive fighter of this era was scared of Pac!

they have one common opponent, dlh! Pac gave dlh a beatdown of his life while pee lost s close one!

Comment

Working...
                      X